Upgrade from GTX 260

[F8]

Gawd
I have not really kept up to date on hardware and wondering if someone could help me. Is there a relatively inexpensive nvidia card that would be an upgrade that would give me DX11 capabilities without being too bottlenecked by my cpu? I'm looking to run 1680x1050 resolution. Thanks!

I was thinking in the $200 and under category. Won't I be limited by my cpu?

[F8];1037344759 said:
I was thinking in the $200 and under category. Won't I be limited by my cpu?

That's true. You would be limited. You'd benefit more from a platform upgrade rather than a videocard upgrade. What are your thoughts on Phenom II's?

I am 1920x1200 and went from a GTX260OC to a GTX560Ti ($190CDN AR). I wish there was an external exhaust 560Ti available, but other than that it seems to be a worthy upgrade. The things which were GPU bottlenecking aren't anymore and power/heat is down significantly. There are some 460 SKUs available at significant savings although I specifically wanted the 500 series architecture since I've been making GPUs last a fairly long time. I bought my 260 in Nov 2008.

I'm not sure why someone would think that the 470 was a "minimum" for 1680x1050. As a single screen user I'm finding that even new titles run quite well on mid-range hardware. The focus for the higher end stuff definitely seems to be 2560 resolutions and multi-screen gaming.

For that matter something like a GTS550 might really fit the bill (cheap, low power, DX11) but if you shop around for something like a 560Ti with rebate or on sale you'd be sure that the GPU wasn't the bottleneck and should get a pretty long service life from the card. If you upgrade the rest of your system, it won't leave the 560Ti behind either.

Back