• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade for q8200

EricFX1984

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 21, 2010
Messages
1,140
I know we have a lot of choices here

I was thinking an i3 maybe?


It will be used in an HTPC that also plays WoW and might play Starcraft II
 
Last edited:
Here, help yourself out.

If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

By answering these questions you help us help you build a PC that's of better quality, better performing, cheaper or all of the above.
 
Here, help yourself out.

If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

By answering these questions you help us help you build a PC that's of better quality, better performing, cheaper or all of the above.


1.) I think I already answered that

2.) max $200

3.) kansas city area, near a microcenter

4.) just a CPU, maybe a cooler

5.) motherboard, ram, etc, everything but the CPU, I already have a few motherboard sitting around... I have an MSI 890GXM-G65 (AM3) and a Gigabyte p55m-ud4 (1156)

6.) I have never had a machine that I didn't overclcok

7.) this question does not apply, I am not doing a full build just upgrading a slow CPU

8.) in the next 2 or 3 weeks at the most

9.) this question does not apply I already have a motherboard (2 actually)

10.) I will be using the one currently installed on the machine
 
q8200 is not a bad cpu. an i3 IMO would be a downgrade. You should be able to get the q8200 to 3.3 or 3.5 fairly easily. If you are having problems overclocking it then I would ask for help on that, but overall I think it is a better solution than your "upgrade" unless you are trying to solve other unstated problems.
 
q8200 is not a bad cpu. an i3 IMO would be a downgrade. You should be able to get the q8200 to 3.3 or 3.5 fairly easily. If you are having problems overclocking it then I would ask for help on that, but overall I think it is a better solution than your "upgrade" unless you are trying to solve other unstated problems.

Actually, the Q8200 is not that good of a CPU, despite what you stated. This is because it has too little L2 cache (only 1MB per physical core), and it has a very low multiplier (7x) that makes it rather tough to do much if any overclocking. You'll find that you'll run completely out of on-motherboard memory controller headroom at fairly low overclocks.

The i3 would not have been enough of an improvement over the Q8200 to be worth paying its lowest street price for. On one hand, it has an in-CPU-package (but off-die) memory controller - while on the other hand it has only two physical cores. Plus, the i3 has no TurboBoost feature that would have boosted the performance in single-threaded apps.
 
Last edited:
however if I put an i5 750 in there it would likely out do the Phenom II 965 I have in my other rig...

And the problem being?

As stated earlier, the Core i3 line won't be that much of an improvement to justify the cost. In addition, the Core i5 6xx series CPUs are insanely overpriced for being dual-core CPUs. So the logical and best bang for buck choice would be the Core i5 750 or 760.

However, it appears that you want to maintain your other rig's superiority for some reason and since you do have an AMD motherboard already, check out the Phenom II 945. It's not fast enough nor does it OC that high enough to threaten your other rig's sovereignty over the other PCs but still significantly faster than the Q8200.
 
Back
Top