Manaknight
Supreme [H]ardness
- Joined
- Jun 6, 2005
- Messages
- 5,446
so..
the gf and I are doing the ff14 beta. I have been pleasantly surprised with it. Enough so that we feel its going to warrant a purchase when it hits, as it should be the perfect getaway between now and cataclysm.
that said she is starting to notice her system not keeping up with the particular demands of current multi-threaded applications, as well as the ati driver issues coming into play more frequently than we would care for.
that said I am torn. we are both s775 users at this time. I am not sure what is the proper route to follow. Should we grab a cpu and video card for her? sell off the current and call it a day, or should I jump platform, pass down my tried and true setup and move forward, and if so...to what? Needless to say i've been on 775 for so long now as my mains (both my home servers are am2, but the older be am2 chips, so older am2 boards) that i'm not sure where things have gone other than finding that its no longer cost effective to buy more ddr2 unless i absolutely have to.
I will note we are not platform specific, i have no preference of amd or intel, though after the driver issues we have both had consistently with ati i'm pretty much done with them for a while (though i will keep my 5870)
she is running an e8400 with a 4890 all under water on a striker II motherboard. I am running a q6700 with the 5870 also under water on a ep45ud3p gigabyte board. power supplies are fine (750w corsair and 750 antec) and we both run 4gb ddr2 1066.
is it cost effective to move? or good enough to clock the crap out of whatever quad i can find (though ideally i'd like to up my ram). if we move i would go to the new platform and move her to my quad and board (which i have at 3.8 daily). If I was to literally start hitting the stores tomorrow where would i be looking? we already settled that she will probably get a gtx460 as it will give a tad better performance without the hassles. cpu/motherboard/ram is the main area I am not versed on in this landscape.
I apologize for the long post, but i figure its best to get all the info out there.
the gf and I are doing the ff14 beta. I have been pleasantly surprised with it. Enough so that we feel its going to warrant a purchase when it hits, as it should be the perfect getaway between now and cataclysm.
that said she is starting to notice her system not keeping up with the particular demands of current multi-threaded applications, as well as the ati driver issues coming into play more frequently than we would care for.
that said I am torn. we are both s775 users at this time. I am not sure what is the proper route to follow. Should we grab a cpu and video card for her? sell off the current and call it a day, or should I jump platform, pass down my tried and true setup and move forward, and if so...to what? Needless to say i've been on 775 for so long now as my mains (both my home servers are am2, but the older be am2 chips, so older am2 boards) that i'm not sure where things have gone other than finding that its no longer cost effective to buy more ddr2 unless i absolutely have to.
I will note we are not platform specific, i have no preference of amd or intel, though after the driver issues we have both had consistently with ati i'm pretty much done with them for a while (though i will keep my 5870)
she is running an e8400 with a 4890 all under water on a striker II motherboard. I am running a q6700 with the 5870 also under water on a ep45ud3p gigabyte board. power supplies are fine (750w corsair and 750 antec) and we both run 4gb ddr2 1066.
is it cost effective to move? or good enough to clock the crap out of whatever quad i can find (though ideally i'd like to up my ram). if we move i would go to the new platform and move her to my quad and board (which i have at 3.8 daily). If I was to literally start hitting the stores tomorrow where would i be looking? we already settled that she will probably get a gtx460 as it will give a tad better performance without the hassles. cpu/motherboard/ram is the main area I am not versed on in this landscape.
I apologize for the long post, but i figure its best to get all the info out there.