• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

upgrade cable modem??

Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Messages
45
I've been paying to lease my cable modem from the ISP for years and decided I should just buy one and return this rented unit.

My question is... What do I need to look for in purchasing a cable modem?

..currently using the ''terayon tj715x" which seems to be a common model and hasn't given my any trouble but maybe there's something new that can offer faster speeds?
 
why would you do this?
yes I realize you have to pay monthly for your ISPs modem, but you also should have more or less unlimited hardware support as a result, meaning if it ever has issues they'll actually support you/fix it, if you provide your own modem, they support you less and charge you the same each month (sans the rental/lease fee)

honestly I'd just keep renting/leasing the unit, makes more sense
you might ask them for a hardware upgrade if its been a few years, probably some better models available from them

that said, Moto Surfbands are regarded as excellent products (either if your ISP will give you one, or if you buy one), can get expensive though
 
My fees for a cable modem were $5/month or $60/yr. I bought a Moto surfboard for $60 and have been using it for the past 6 years. Savings = $300.

I'd just get whatever the newest Motorola Surfboard is and just go with it.
 
A new modem won't necessarily be any faster than your current one (unless there's some wrong with the design or condition of your current modem). To get faster speed, you'll have to upgrade your package. assuming your ISP even offers a higher one.

That being said, new modems (DOCSIS 3.0) can provide up to 160Mb/s (vs 42Mb/s max for DOCSIS 2.0)/1.x) if the cable company ever decides to upgrade their systems to support them and offer the right packages to customers..

If you're trying to squeeze down your bill a bit, then go for it. It'll "pay for itself" in a matter of months. But if you're just wanting faster speeds, you'll just have to wait on your ISP to catch up with technology.
 
I'd just get whatever the newest Motorola Surfboard is and just go with it.

This.

Timewarner doesn't charge extra for the modem, so I'm happy. It's the Motorola Surfboard 5105 IIRC. I've gone though 4-5 of them now though. I think its my apartment's electricity or cable line quality thats the problem though.
 
A new modem won't necessarily be any faster than your current one (unless there's some wrong with the design or condition of your current modem). To get faster speed, you'll have to upgrade your package. assuming your ISP even offers a higher one.

That being said, new modems (DOCSIS 3.0) can provide up to 160Mb/s (vs 42Mb/s max for DOCSIS 2.0)/1.x) if the cable company ever decides to upgrade their systems to support them and offer the right packages to customers..

If you're trying to squeeze down your bill a bit, then go for it. It'll "pay for itself" in a matter of months. But if you're just wanting faster speeds, you'll just have to wait on your ISP to catch up with technology.

+1
in some cases, if you have a very ancient modem it can hitch performance vs newer stuff, if the ISP has already made upgrades and you didn't get new equipment

This.

Timewarner doesn't charge extra for the modem, so I'm happy. It's the Motorola Surfboard 5105 IIRC. I've gone though 4-5 of them now though. I think its my apartment's electricity or cable line quality thats the problem though.

"4-5 of them", good god, hopefully you aren't going through other devices (That you have to pay for out of pocket) at that rate :eek:
 
yea i'm gonna call and demand a better deal from my ISP real soon here and i'll just ask them if they have newer modem hardware available.... still just might buy one though
 
Back
Top