Upgrade Advice

Dekoth-E-

Supreme [H]ardness
So I probably know the answer to this, but since I haven't overclocked or anything in a long time or really kept up with the bleeding edge like I used to. I figured it was a good time to verify.

Current setup

Amd thuban 1055t 6 core AM3+
Mobo Asus something or the other too lazy to look but it was a fairly solid mid range $200 board when I got it.

Options - with a hard budget of $150.

What I do
I stream video games which my current setup handles pretty well, though streaming some cpu intensive games at 1080p gets a bit rough. So at present I avoid certain games. This is one of the things I'm looking to improve.
I also do video editing and encoding and this is where the AMD falls flat on its face. It takes me hours to encode a 15 minute video in Vegas Pro. It really is a massive time sink and the main source of my frustration. I wish I had a bigger budget but work hasn't been good this year.

Option 1
Upgrade the cpu only AMD FX 8320 8 core as it fits right in my existing MB. While I realize it isn't quite as snappy as the intel chips. There is quite a bit of convenience to not having to reinstall everything. This would be as plug and play as I could possibly hope for.

Option 2
I have an Intel i5 2400 3.1 ghz lga 1155 sitting in a box..
I would need to buy a cpu cooler as my current one doesn't fit and I don't have the stock. So I opted for the following.

1) Scythe Mugen 4 seems to be the best cooler for the money in a reasonable price range.
2) Asus P8B75 Motherboard

Due to the age of this cpu I find it rather difficult to find a decent motherboard in the range I typically go for. This was one of the few that had 4 ram slots and all the typical features I'm accustom to. While I realize a Z77 board is better, they all just blew the budget outright. My other qualm with this route is it would likely force me to reinstall everything and I really don't want to if I don't have to. However if the performance game is significant enough I obviously will. So really it comes down to is that i5 that much faster than the AMD I posted for what I want to do? or are there motherboard options I may be missing for the i5?

Probably isn't terribly important but the rest of my setup is as follows.

120gb Samsung 840
16gb Corsair DDR3
2TB WD Green Storage
AMD 7870 Vid card.
Dual 24" 1080p lcd's, though I almost never game in DD. The second is for all my stream programs and other things i work on.

Find out what motherboard you have: Just because you spent $200 on it doesn't mean that it'll actually be compatible with the FX-8320.

So my motherboard does support it, but went ahead and just upgraded to the i5 setup. Ended up not having to reinstall anything outside drivers as I briefly forgot this is Win 7. So everything is up and running and so far flawless. Well outside the fact that I just severely outclassed my 10 year old lian-li case with this cpu cooler and ended up having to build everything in the case instead of on the tray then slide it in. Beyond that though..for the first time in years my PC is pretty quiet vs the competition with the vacuum cleaner it had going.

Back