Upgrade advice please.

Doodlehed

Limp Gawd
Upgrade season, time to see how I can beef up my pc for the 2015 slaughter.

Will update this if my specs aren't right.

I'm going to be upgrading my monitor and possibly my graphics card So I'd like suggestions for those.

Currently I'm using an evga 760 gtx and I'm not sure what a really decent step up from that would be. I was looking at the gtx 980s but I'm not sure If I can buy that without my wife wanting to choke me out. I'm going to be playing WoW, battlefields and every old game I've ever played because it's fun to see 700 fps in 10 yr old games you used to play.

Aaaand a nice 144Hz gaming monitor. This is where my real questions lie. Do I need to upgrade my video card if I'm going to try gaming at higher resolutions and frame rates?

So in short, a good step up from a 760 gtx and a nice monitor.

My budget is probably around 1000 but I need to get a New desk and a decent case also. My current case is 16 years old......yup.

Yeah my Sig specs are all wrong.

I5 4670k
F1tality mobo
760 gtx
620w antec psu
8 gb ram
120g ssd
1tb storage
K65 rgb gaming keyboard

Possibly need to upgrade my psu for a 980?
My ram is also faulty So it's running in single channel mode but that surprisingly is like a 5 percent decrease in performance.

If I'm going to get a new video card I want one that will make quite a difference. I've been scouring reviews and benchmarks and a 970 looks like a pretty good bump up....but damn the 980 is shiney and doesn't lie about it's on board ram.

Would a 970 be sufficient for bf4 on a 144Hz monitor on ultra? If not I'll go for a 980.

I guess I didn't get the whole concept, anything will work with a 144Hz monitor but I'm not going to see much of a difference if my game is only getting 60 fps. Think I'll go with a good 970. Still have a lot of searching to do for a good Monitor for 300 or so dollars.

Your current PSU is fine for a GTX 980 if you want to go for that route. But I still would recommend the GTX 970 for a GPU upgrade. Yes you would need a new GPU upgrade. I only recommend the GTX 980 if costs is of no concern. From a bang for the buck standpoint, the GTX 980 is hard to recommend.

As for the monitor, I recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

As for cases, I recommend the following:
$100 - Antec 1100 V2 ATX Case
$100 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White ATX Case
$100 - Phanteks “Enthoo Pro Series“ Black ATX Case
$110 - Thermaltake Core V5 Black ATX Case
$110 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black ATX Case
$115 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$116 - Thermaltake Chaser A71 Full Tower ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Graphite Series 730T ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$120 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$133 - NZXT Phantom 530 Black Full Tower ATX Case
$130 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 750D ATX Case
$150 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$152 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$150 - NZXT Phantom 630 White Windowed Full Tower ATX Case
$158 - NZXT Phantom 630 Gunmetal Full Tower ATX Case
$170 - Thermaltake Urban T81 Full Tower ATX Case
$190 - Corsair Graphite Series 760T ATX Case
197 - Corsair Graphite Black ATX Full Tower 780T
208 - Corsair Graphite White ATX Full Tower 780T
$240 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Funny you suggested the monitor that is currently in my newegg cart.

As for the case I think I'm going to cheap out and get a nnzxt for about 60 bucks, and put the rest on my gpu.

My ram is crap so I got 8 gigs vs t the 4 I have now which I can upgrade later.

So that monitor, a 970 ftw+, 8 gb ram and a case for under 800$. I'm just wondering if I should blow that extra 200 on a 980 for piece of mind and bragging rights. Or spend a couple hundred on my girlfriend :x

want to go NZXT go with the 210 Elite in my(Sig) ......$50 newegg

added 2-120's up front and moved the 140mm from top 140mm fan was moved to the side panel to give my GPU more air...
after 3 years 140mm it is finally starting to make some noise(VIBe)...so have a Naucula redo replacement on the way.....

All in all really like the case.....great price point for the features too..............

Last edited:
I have an h100i cup cooler so I think I'm going to go with a larger case. My Psu is also Not modular and had a ton of wires every where. I need more room in my next case. My current case is so old it doesn't have places to put anything. My h100i is mounted to the top of my case with copper wire and one of those anti child latches on cabinets.

I think I'm going to get this rosewill full tower with free shipping. Decent reviews. http://www.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=11-147-226

I'm just wondering if I should blow that extra 200 on a 980 for piece of mind and bragging rights. Or spend a couple hundred on my girlfriend :x
God/Allah/Yahweh/Lord Xenu/Buddha help you if you can't figure out the right answer to that question without having to ask us.
I have an h100i cup cooler so I think I'm going to go with a larger case. My Psu is also Not modular and had a ton of wires every where. I need more room in my next case. My current case is so old it doesn't have places to put anything. My h100i is mounted to the top of my case with copper wire and one of those anti child latches on cabinets.

I think I'm going to get this rosewill full tower with free shipping. Decent reviews. http://www.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=11-147-226

It's not that good of a case IMO. I actually do work with that case quite often (working on one right now at work which I can post pics up tomorrow of if you want). It is certainly large and spacious but the quality is lacking compared to every other case that was on my recommended case list above. Nor is it quite as refined (i.e well thought out cable management holes, where those front panel and fan controller cables are placed/organized, how the hard drives are mounted, why aren't the standoffs premounted already, etc). I honestly can't really recommend that Rosewill Thor case.

It's not a horrible case. It's a decent case but not one I can personally recommend with any real confidence in it nowadays.

God/Allah/Yahweh/Lord Xenu/Buddha help you if you can't figure out the right answer to that question without having to ask us.

It's not that good of a case IMO. I actually do work with that case quite often (working on one right now at work which I can post pics up tomorrow of if you want). It is certainly large and spacious but the quality is lacking compared to every other case that was on my recommended case list above. Nor is it quite as refined (i.e well thought out cable management holes, where those front panel and fan controller cables are placed/organized, how the hard drives are mounted, why aren't the standoffs premounted already, etc). I honestly can't really recommend that Rosewill Thor case.

It's not a horrible case. It's a decent case but not one I can personally recommend with any real confidence in it nowadays.

That was just a terrible joke. The woman will be really happy this Taxmas. Plenty of goodies for all.

I've decided to go with a gtx 980. As long as I can keep my order around 1,000 dollars She wont be pissy. Money isn't even a problem it's that someone who's not into computers has no idea why anyone would spend almost 600 dollars on a video card. She knows how much I love my computer and technology in general so getting one of the best cards out at the time will be huge. Then I also don't have to worry about the possible 3.5 Gb ram stutters and what not with the 970.

If you could see my case right now you'd probably cry. I have all my hardware stuffed into this sad broken down pile of a shell. I have had it so long and been through so many builds with this thing. I think I got it to put an athlon 64 3400 in it in 2004. 7 stickers on it, and half of them fell off. The front panels are missing so my expensive hardware is collecting ungodly amounts of dust. So maybe I should put a little more money into a case but I'd probably deal with something subpar if it keeps my price down as anything would be a major upgrade. IF it had the room I could go mid sized atx. I don't need a huge case I just need places to put everything. I'm really only concerned about the cooler(h100i). I have one 1 TB HDD and one SSD.....Thats it. I dont even have an optical drive. I have a portable dvd burner I use when I need it. I virtually never use an optical drive unless I'm installing a game or OS.

I'm at $900.97 on newegg without a case. What are my options. If it matters I'm kind of into blue leds. My k65 rgb keyboard always has a blue profile and my case is blue. But thats not important.

Well I just posted a whole case list so....why not look there first?

I was interested in the top one you posted from Amazon but I'd like to keep my whole order from newegg. I'll just find a nice mid with reviewers who have a h100i.

I did look at your list but most are more than I want to pay on a case right now. If my upgrades go over 1000 the old lady will get an eye twitch.

You know you can just copy and paste the name of the cases from Amazon into Newegg's search? So you don't have to get it from Amazon.

Anyway a definite no on that Enermax. Overpriced for what it is. Just go with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Yeah but the full atx you suggested wasn't on newegg.

Edit: I do think I'll grab that phantek, looks decent for my needs. Appreciate all of the input.

"but I'm not sure If I can buy that without my wife wanting to choke me out"

Have your wife get on here, so we can talk to the man of the house.. : )

If your going to be playing older games, like WOW, I would start with buying the best 144hz you can get. See if that feeds the spring upgrade feeling you have.

and by the way, if your wife ever hits you. That is NOT OK..

Last edited:
Back