Upgrade advice needed

Badcop1124

Limp Gawd
1) Gaming and Web browsing
2) Around $400 for 1 mobo and graphics card. I may buy 2 of each. No.
3) US. MA.
4) Motherboard and graphics card
5) SeaSonic X750 Gold and PC Power and Cooling S75QB 750W
6) No.
7) 23"
8) Now.
9) UEFI, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, eSATA.
10) Win7 64bit?

Wife bought me some 3tb drives and 4tb MyBook. Problem is my Mobo is non- UEFI. I was going to get a new mobo with UEFI. I was looking at the Asus P8Z77-V Pro and ASRock Z77 Extreme6. Overkill? I also posted in the graphics card section.

Is there a better graphics card I can upgrade to that won't bottle neck my system? Bottle necks still confuse me.
I do play BF3 just got BF4 as a gift (haven't played yet) and other FPS.

As there are two similar systems I may buy 2 mobos and 2 graphics cards but the budget of $400 is for 1 mobo and one graphics card.

System #1:
Intel i5 2500k / Asus P8Z68-V LX / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1866 / MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC 2GB / SeaSonic X750 Gold / CoolerMaster HAF 922 mid / CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus.

System #2:
Intel i5 2500k / Asus P8Z68-V LX / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 1866 / MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC 2GB / PC Power and Cooling S75QB 750W / CoolerMaster Cosmos S / CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus

Thanks in advance for the help!

Checkout my system specs, I only play Campaign shooters and have zero problems. Being said that, I am not particularly hard on my setting options and usually let the game decide the best option, from time to time I do increase here and there.

Greetings

AFAIK you don't really need UEFI unless you absolutely need to boot off a drive > 2.2TB in size, IMO why don't you just get something like an 120 GB Samsung EVO SSD and install and boot using that and your system will be much more responsive overall, then you can install all the games and other stuff onto the 3TB drives.

Generally BF4 needs more grunt graphics wise as whatever you have with BF3 expect about 40% less FPS wise with BF4. I went from using a GTX670 in BF3 to using GTX660Ti's in SLI for BF4. Is your budget $400.00 for each machine making a total of $800.00? If that is the case I suggest you get two GTX770's and SLI them in one machine and put both the 6950's in the other and Crossfire that machine.

The cpu's are non-hyperthreading and apparently BF4 doesn't do so well with that situation but most people just overclock them to make up some of the shortfall so I suggest you do that as well, even if you get new mobo's you will still have the same cpu's so nothing will really change there, also as far as motherboards go socket 1155 is now obsolete.

I think the best course of action is as I suggest get two SSD's and two new video cards (unless of course your existing mobo's are low end and don't let you run SLI/Crossfire) but I suggest you wait and see other people's suggestions here first before you decide.

I just now looked at the ASUS webpage for your boards and you already have a UEFI bios on there!, so why do you need new mobo's? well the SSD's are now optional and SATA3 is not really required either way, USB3 can be easily added with a plug in PCI-E card.

Just get much beefier video cards and maybe get the SSD's.

Cheers

Greetings

"....I just now looked at the ASUS webpage for your boards and you already have a UEFI bios on there!, so why do you need new mobo's?....Just get much beefier video cards and maybe get the SSD's.

Cheers

Thanks!

A little embarrassed...how I miss that I already had UEFI.....

Thanks again.

Soooo...as HobartTas asked earlier, is your upgrade budget $400 for each PC or $400 total for both computers?

With that said, SLI is not an option since your motherboards do not support SLI.

HobartTas had a really good idea: Use the HD 6950 2GB from your current PC and put it into your wife's PC for a Crossfire setup. For yourself, get the GTX 770 2GB. You'll save $400 that way. If HD 6950 2GB Crossfire still doesn't cut it, you could always upgrade to a GTX 770 2GB card.

Back