• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade advice: CPU or GPU for better frame rate?

Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
5
Currently I'm running:

Zotac 9300 itx
Celeron E3300 (OC 3.5ghz)
GTX 470
4GB DDR2 800
600w silverstone PS (80 bronze).

I have a little extra cash, and I was pondering on rather or not I should just get the GTX 480 or HD5870 and return the GTX 470. At the same time, I got a weak processor that I know needs to be upgraded eventually as well.

Which would impact frame rate more? Bumping up from a GTX 470 to a 480 or HD5870? Or switching from a Celeron E3300 to an intel core 2 quad (9300).

The games I play (Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Starcraft II, Metro 2033, fallout 3, etc). Mainly first person shooters. Some advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
Not sure how helpful I can be as I'm a little behind on the latest developments.

But I will go out on a limb and say that GPU you have is very new and the CPU could well be the bottleneck in your system.

I am sure one of the more up to speed regulards will be able to confirm/rubbish this shortly.
 
You would be mad to keep that CPU around..upgrade it ASAP! The GTX 470 is fine for games up to 1920x1080.
 
CPU hands down. Try to find the CPU used though.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
CPU hands down. Try to find the CPU used though.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

QFT and completely agreed with. The GTX 470 is more than enough for decent frame rates in today's games, but if the CPU can't crank out the data fast enough for the GPU to crunch it the weak link becomes the CPU so, get the best one you can get.

Going from that Celeron to a quad will make a big difference in everything including gaming performance, and most especially on the latest games that can make use of more than 2 cores.
 
Thanks for the advice guys. My gut was telling me the same thing, but I needed to hear it from some of the more experienced people on this board! Going to upgrade the CPU ASAP!
 
Back
Top