upgrade: 7800 gt SLI or X1900?

MarkK79

n00b
I want to upgrade my system so that I can run the latest games with most eye candy turned on. I currently have a single eVGA 7800 gt in an Asus SLI motherboard with 1 GB RAM. My monitors' native resolution is 1280X1024 so I won't be running at any resolution higher than that. CPU is AMD FX-53. Power supply is Antec TruePower 480W.

Do I purchase another 7800 gt and run an SLI setup or upgrade to a single x1900?

(Regarding cost: If I go with another 7800 gt, I will most likely have to upgrade my power supply also to run SLI. So an SLI upgrade will cost slightly less than an x1900)

Seeing as how the X1900 draws as much power as two 7800GTs in SLI, I would recommend a PSU upgrade in either scenario. That said, I would personally go with the SLI because it's still about as fast or faster in most games, and in OpenGL it lays waste to a single X1900. This review answers the power consumption question and compares 7800GT SLI to the X1900.

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/radeon-x1900/index.x?pg=13

I would throw in another 7800. Even if your psu can handle sli, it's not a bad idea to upgrade to a better psu. You may also want some more ram.

Ive got dual 7800GTs in SLI it runs most games faster than my friends X1900XT. I think they are almost even but the 7800GTs in SLI should pull ahead in most things. either way its going to be very fast

PCBliss said:
Ive got dual 7800GTs in SLI it runs most games faster than my friends X1900XT. I think they are almost even but the 7800GTs in SLI should pull ahead in most things. either way its going to be very fast

does you're friend also game on a 17" lcd 0.o with 2g of ram and an opteron 170

Yes to everything, except he has an opteron 148 @ 2.7ghz... so its pretty equal in any game that doesnt utilize dual core

well supposedly the upcoming 7900gtx is gona be better than 2 7800gts running in SLI dunno if thats true but if not then i suggest going with the x1900 and upgrading your power supply just to be safe

Digital Viper-X- said:
I'd say sell the GT and get an X1900 =p or wait and see how the 7900 is

i agree here,

i went from dual 6800GTs and for me personally i would get a single X1900XT and sell the 7800GT just because you don't have to worry about SLI profiles, you can run dual monitors (without going in and out of SLI) and the performance is great.

I don't know...I have 2 7800gts that I overclock and based on all the benchmarks from the reviews, my sli beats the x1900xtx in most of not all benchmarks (include the games I have such as half-life 2 and farcry hdr)...
so, I would get another 7800gt and overclock both... Or better still:
use the one you have now and wait a few months, get the new 7900gtxs...

magnuspah said:
I don't know...I have 2 7800gts that I overclock and based on all the benchmarks from the reviews, my sli beats the x1900xtx in most of not all benchmarks (include the games I have such as half-life 2 and farcry hdr)...

....but are those X1900 XTXs in the reviews overclocked to the same extent, as well?

If you're only running 1280 I'd say don't bother with either just yet. If you must upgrade, you're probably better off getting a X1900XT and selling the GT while it's still worth something.

Back