Updated 4 computers in my house to Win10 1703

st4rk

Gawd
Zero issues.

Varying hardware across all three (3x intel cpu, 1 amd cpu, 2x nvidia, 1x intel graphics, 1x amd graphics), one is a laptop. Varying software (games, video editing, music editing, screen capturing, various browsers), all still works perfectly fine. One used msdn iso, other 3 used standard Windows Update.

In fact, 2 systems have gone from 1511, to 1607, to 1703, never had issues.

1511, 1607, and 1703. I have seen 10 referred to by numbers. Is it just a build # or ?

1511, 1607, and 1703. I have seen 10 referred to by numbers. Is it just a build # or ?
1607 is the Anniversary Update and 1703 is the Creators Update. I believe that 1511 was the RTM. You can see the "Windows Update History"
here. Hope this helps.

Zero issues.

Varying hardware across all three (3x intel cpu, 1 amd cpu, 2x nvidia, 1x intel graphics, 1x amd graphics), one is a laptop. Varying software (games, video editing, music editing, screen capturing, various browsers), all still works perfectly fine. One used msdn iso, other 3 used standard Windows Update.

In fact, 2 systems have gone from 1511, to 1607, to 1703, never had issues.

Glad to hear you experienced no issues with the Windows Update route.

1607 is the Anniversary Update and 1703 is the Creators Update. I believe that 1511 was the RTM. You can see the "Windows Update History"
here. Hope this helps.
The RTM was build 10240 under winver. I don't recall it being given a year/month officially. If so, it would of been 1507. I believe they started the year/month with 1511 "Novbember Update".

Crazy that it's been almost 2 years since it was released.

The RTM was build 10240 under winver. I don't recall it being given a year/month officially. If so, it would of been 1507. I believe they started the year/month with 1511 "Novbember Update".

Crazy that it's been almost 2 years since it was released.

Yeah you could very well be right because I couldn't remember for sure. Thanks.

The point is that folks who have waited to be offered the Creators Update through Windows Update have been reporting fewer problems than those who went the other route. For me, it reinforces that waiting may prove to be less painful when the time comes that the update is offered to my Windows 10 machine.

The point is that folks who have waited to be offered the Creators Update through Windows Update have been reporting fewer problems than those who went the other route. For me, it reinforces that waiting may prove to be less painful when the time comes that the update is offered to my Windows 10 machine.

Usually it's easier if you stretch it out with time and apply some lube.

Glad you had no issues, perhaps it means MS slowing their latest roll out has paid off. Still why do windows people leave updates so long in general ? 1511 and 1607 ... as a non windows user, I just don't understand why so many people leave their machines unpatched for so long. Ok I guess I do know... hopefully one of these days MS updates their updater so we don't have to talk about successful updates like its proof the discussions about update issues are unique and or rare.

Glad you had no issues, perhaps it means MS slowing their latest roll out has paid off. Still why do windows people leave updates so long in general ? 1511 and 1607 ... as a non windows user, I just don't understand why so many people leave their machines unpatched for so long. Ok I guess I do know... hopefully one of these days MS updates their updater so we don't have to talk about successful updates like its proof the discussions about update issues are unique and or rare.
Microsoft releases updates once a month The 1511, 1607, and 1703 updates are major system updates to the OS. The 1703, Creators Update, has been problematic some some/most folks who asssumed that by downloading the update early and placing it on a USB drive and installing it would be an "update". Their assumption was incorrect. By doing so the, in effect, did a clean install and that had undesired and unexpected actions. Once the update was being offered as part of the Windows Update Microsoft slowed the release to, hopefully, reduce the number of issues folks experience and have issued updates to the Creators Update to resolve some of the reported problems. By waiting for the Creators Update to be offered through the regular Windows Update process it is an update and not a clean install. People that have waited seem to be experiencing fewer issues.

You can see the "Windows 10 Update History" here.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I did 4 machines as well with no issues,
4790k with Nvidia graphics
Dual E5-2670 with Nvidia graphics
AMD 8 core with Quadro graphics
MacBook Pro with Intel graphics

I have an i5 Dell with Quadro graphics that I haven't updated since I haven't used it in months, maybe I'll pull it out of the bag and update it.

Oh, I did a fresh install with the Creators update on an old E6700 machine a couple of weeks ago with no issues as well.

I'm just going to wait until it's pushed down on me. I remember reading something about how your privacy settings get reset if you manually update.

Having said that, one of my three machines has been updated, the Dell Venue 11 Pro (7140), sucked down the update after last week after doing the monthly patch.

The desktop and htpc (both self-built mutts) have yet to get anything, i'll give it a while longer.

I like windows 10 too.
Use it on 10+ computers at home / relatives' homes and have deployed to hundreds of PCs at work.

You are lucky, I can get Win 10 1703 installed on one home PC but not the other.

Updated my two Windows 10 PC's here, no issues. Has my Windows experience improved? No it has not, my desktop PC is becoming more like a touch OS spy portal every update.

The other five Linux based PC's I run here have never presented me with any issues either and some of them run 24/7.

Last edited:
Updated my two Windows 10 PC's here, no issues. Has my Windows experience improved? No it has not, my desktop PC is becoming more like a touch OS spy portal every update.

The other five Linux based PC's I run here have never presented me with any issues either and some of them run 24/7.

Isn't this just personal anecdote? Plenty of people have issues with Linux, plenty have issues with W10.

I have never believed in an "upgrade" to an existing OS, especially windows. You are always better doing a fresh install to avoid issues.

The Windows 'update' is in fact pretty much a fresh install, it moves your current install to Windows.old, does a fresh one, and migrates all the programs, registry and settings. Its not like the patching which used to happen with service packs.

But i agree, a fresh install is usually better to clear the cruft and also a chance to get rid of crap you dont need, e.g. I've been moving more and more towards open source portable versions. Its funny how Windows has great support for those, programs like Firefox, VLC etc work much better on Windows than Linux :) But new users can't and shouldn't bother with getting a new iso, save data, reinstall etc.

Its funny how Windows has great support for those, programs like Firefox, VLC etc work much better on Windows than Linux :) But new users can't and shouldn't bother with getting a new iso, save data, reinstall etc.

This is unfounded rubbish, I use all these applications just fine.

You need to accept the fact that you crippled your OS install in an attempt to reduce power usage on your laptop, killing the adaptive clocking on your iGPU and killing GPU hardware acceleration in the process. This is why Windows users struggle so badly when it comes to switching to Linux, the slightest thing goes wrong and rather than accept responsibility, they just blame the OS.

On my own, Linux powered PC:

- Firefox

and

-VLC

Run just as well as they do under Windows. Do you want evidence and can you understand why Linux users aren't overwhelmed with enthusiasm regarding assisting transitioning Windows users?

VLC is not a windows program. It has a windows build... it runs better in Linux. If it isn't for you, its something the distro you choose isn't doing properly or something else you have done. (no blame.) However that is a pretty blanket statement. VLC runs extremely well in Linux... OpenGL output 100% runs better in Linux... and in general performance is identical. Its the same code, as long as everything is working properly you should see nothing different. Ditto for Firefox it runs perfectly fine under Linux... it isn't some hobbeled port or something.

Microsoft has added a little confusion to Windows 10:

Version #: 1703 is the latest release version #, YYMM format
OS Build #: 15063.332 is the latest or close enough to latest non-Insider build

Microsoft has added a little confusion to Windows 10:

Version #: 1703 is the latest release version #, YYMM format
OS Build #: 15063.332 is the latest or close enough to latest non-Insider build
Not confusing. 1703 is the milestone, and 15063.whatever is the build within that milestone.

Just like Ubuntu can be 17.04, but the linux kernel in it will change over time. 17.04 never becomes 17.05.

Not confusing. 1703 is the milestone, and 15063.whatever is the build within that milestone.

Just like Ubuntu can be 17.04, but the linux kernel in it will change over time. 17.04 never becomes 17.05.
*I* know it's not confusing but earlier posts in here indicated there might have been a little confusion.

Seems strange to me as well, like when distributions for Linux wait months before offering a package or even kernel update...

Do you want evidence and can you understand why Linux users aren't overwhelmed with enthusiasm regarding assisting transitioning Windows users?

I never have had an issue helping a Windows user transitioning to Linux. Just like I never had an issue helping a Unix user transition to Windows. Or helping a VAX/VMS person use AIX or IRIX. Or helping a Solaris user learn RHEL or Debian. Or helping teach people how to use the PocketPC, Blackberry, Android, Chrome, etc. They are OS's, people are going to struggle at times learning a new one.

Continually being rude and short with people is never going to convince them that a different way of doing things may be better.

Seems strange to me as well, like when distributions for Linux wait months before offering a package or even kernel update...

Well I don't know many that skip security updates. :) Some stay on LTS kernels for a reason. If you want the newest latest greatest kernel and software the second it hits GIT all the time their are rolling distros for exactly that.

I never have had an issue helping a Windows user transitioning to Linux. Just like I never had an issue helping a Unix user transition to Windows. Or helping a VAX/VMS person use AIX or IRIX. Or helping a Solaris user learn RHEL or Debian. Or helping teach people how to use the PocketPC, Blackberry, Android, Chrome, etc. They are OS's, people are going to struggle at times learning a new one.

Continually being rude and short with people is never going to convince them that a different way of doing things may be better.

There's plenty of transitioning users I treat with respect when they're willing to learn and actually try. Where they go on obvious witch hunts or blame the OS for issues they caused and refuse to listen to reason is where I get on the defensive, and rightfully so - Such users were obviously never going to transition to Linux anyway and it's probably best they stick to Windows, so no harm done. You stand no chance at teaching such people VAX/VMS, they wouldn't even know who DEC are.

Do you try to derail every thread into a "vs. Linux" thread?

Why are there people posting ads for Windows 10 all over the forum? You can't even have a discussion in the Linux OS subforum without some Windows 10 bot showing up to troll the thread.

Windows update has been varying forms of 'broken' for over two years now, to the point that you can't even get updates on a fresh Windows 7 or 8 install without manual patching or waiting for days. Windows 10 users are being used to beta test major updates that don't seem to actually add anything useful. Why are updates faster and less buggy on free, open source products than Microsoft's paid solutions?

Why are there people posting ads for Windows 10 all over the forum? You can't even have a discussion in the Linux OS subforum without some Windows 10 bot showing up to troll the thread.
Can you point to some threads? I took a quick look but I'm unable to find any.

My face when a windows drone posts up a social media meme showing up he's a social media drone too. Double fail.

Dude, SvenBent is no Windows drone at all. :D Him and I may have had our disagreements and given each other a really hard time but, he is definitely no Windows drone.

Back