• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Update your WinRAR installs!

Well I had actually forgot WinRar exist... so far windows 11 can extract whatever I have needed natively... But good information.
Unless win11 is significantly different than win10 7zip extracts things about 100x faster. Doesn't really matter unless you get into gigabyte file sizes, but when you do it makes a massive difference.
 
I bought WinRAR.

Screenshot_20230819-173346.png
 
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm another one of the few who actually paid for a WinRAR license. Laugh if u want- but it's been my go-to archive software for near on a couple decades, nice Explorer shell integration, familiar interface, good performance. I don't think it's too silly to throw the devs 20 bux to support them and get rid of nag screens.
 
Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm another one of the few who actually paid for a WinRAR license. Laugh if u want- but it's been my go-to archive software for near on a couple decades, nice Explorer shell integration, familiar interface, good performance. I don't think it's too silly to throw the devs 20 bux to support them and get rid of nag screens.

I ain't laughing at anyone who supports such good-old traditional-purchase-no-"subscription" software.
 
Winrar? I have been using 7 Zip since i discovered it a few years ago. I do remember buying Winzip back in the 90's but poor old Winrar, it never got the love from me it should have. :D
 
7 Zip here as well... WinRAR was good for what it did back in the 90's and 2000's, but given native support in Windows it's simply not needed anymore.

That being said, ARJ was the king of compression utilities in the 90's, both for DOS and Windows. In the days before CD-ROM drives were reasonably priced, ARJ was my go-to package, especially with the ZIP drives becoming more common.
 
native support in Windows
The problem with Windows' zip support is it's implemented as an Explorer shell extension. That means every single file operation (e.g., drop 50 files onto an existing zip) causes the archive to be opened, updated, and closed. The update phase involves reading the entire archive, writing a new file, and then deleting the old one. (Or it used to, last time I looked. If you're fast with F5 and are trying to create a large archive with hundreds of files you can see the temporary file(s).

It works, but it's gimped by the nature of how it works.
 
Saw WinRAR but thought "WinAmp"......................and then immediately afterwards thought.............."...it really whipped the lamas ass....".........<shrug>
 
The problem with Windows' zip support is it's implemented as an Explorer shell extension. That means every single file operation (e.g., drop 50 files onto an existing zip) causes the archive to be opened, updated, and closed. The update phase involves reading the entire archive, writing a new file, and then deleting the old one. (Or it used to, last time I looked. If you're fast with F5 and are trying to create a large archive with hundreds of files you can see the temporary file(s).

It works, but it's gimped by the nature of how it works.

No argument here. It's terrible to say the least.

It's just that your average, every day user, and actually many a "power user" simply wants something that works and is all but transparent, and won't really care how much longer it takes. I guess it was about the same thing as many folks who were still happy with Internet Explorer in its final days, even though it was slow and a resource hog, not to mention, being the easiest target for malware.

That kind of "I just want the easiest way out" behavior has always been present among computer users, and will always still be present. The bulk of the folks on this forum aren't going to be in that category, but hey, this community is a lot more intelligent than just the vast majority of online communities...
 
Saw WinRAR but thought "WinAmp"......................and then immediately afterwards thought.............."...it really whipped the lamas ass....".........<shrug>
Not going to lie, I was about to say something about a llama's ass too, but then I was like "wait a minute, wrong 'win' product"
 
Saw WinRAR but thought "WinAmp"......................and then immediately afterwards thought.............."...it really whipped the lamas ass....".........<shrug>
Winamp also happens to still be around.

Last time I checked that piece of venerable software, the new owners were chucking in some crypto bullshit, so it's not worth bothering to download.
 
I still use an older version of Winamp 5 as my main music player (well on Windows at least).
I do, too. There are some old ASIO (Otachan) and input plugins (shibatch) that bump the quality beyond anything else I've found.

WinRAR has a nicer interface, but .7zip does everything - plus free.
 
Who even has WinRAR installed anymore? 7-Zip is open source, supports more file formats and doesn't nag you about buying it everytime you open it.
 
I still use CCCP for my media playing needs. It has been great for the last 20+ years, and never ran into anything it couldnt play.
I thought CCCP disappeared. I had switched over to K-Lite Codec Pack as a result. Been using it for years now. I did use CCCP for many years though.

5.666 is the last version before it was bought out, if I'm not mistaken. It's the version I still use.
I actually did try the newer versions the new owners put out. They were rubbish, and wouldn't work with a lot of the plugins I normally use with Winamp 5.
 
I bought at WinRAR license 20'ish years ago for something like $10 and it still works. I might finally bail on the program once Windows starts natively supporting RAR files, but I think WinRAR's UI/UX is still way better than all of the free alternatives. PowerArchiver is/was the only thing as well done, and it's also not free.
 
Who even has WinRAR installed anymore? 7-Zip is open source, supports more file formats and doesn't nag you about buying it everytime you open it.
Winrar has a better ui and it doesn't nag if you pay a measly one time fee. I couldn't care less about open vs closed source on it.
 
Back
Top