Up for my new every 2 with T-Mo. What to do, what to do?

blackbeaSSt

2[H]4U
do i go ahead and get the gs3? or how about the nexus 4? or do i wait for the gs4 or htc one?

granted this will prolly just be a resell, but i gotta wonder will people go flippin nuts for the gs4 like they did for the 3? the nexus and htc are fairly unknowns to the basic end user so that might kill some value there.

thoughts?

If you're reselling, don't get the Nexus 4, that's for sure. Get the S4 the day it comes out and sell it IMMEDIATELY on craigslist. I ended up getting $700 for an S3 day of release that way.

If you're reselling, don't get the Nexus 4, that's for sure. Get the S4 the day it comes out and sell it IMMEDIATELY on craigslist. I ended up getting $700 for an S3 day of release that way.

Crikey! What was retail on the s3? $700 is a crazy amount.

$550 or $600? I had it in my hands the day before release, and the ad was on craigslist for 3 days before. I barely had time to take it out of the UPS box.

I'd go for the One and get the $100 dollar credit from HTC for an old phone

I'd go for the One and get the $100 dollar credit from HTC for an old phone

Unless it's an ancient device from 2010 or a low-end phone, you'll almost certainly get more for it just selling it.

Unless it's an ancient device from 2010 or a low-end phone, you'll almost certainly get more for it just selling it.

Would a black berry 9700 fall into the ancient category?

Oh and its gotta be a smart phone according to the ad.

I need to look at Tmobile here soon -- I have another 6 months with Verizon but to be honest I'm tired of paying 100 dollars a month AFTER my 20% discount.

Their straight talk plan is alluring -- I do enjoy the 4G but I don't use a ton of bandwidth. I'm a bit of a phone whore and when I sign a contract or move providers I want the absolute latest in terms of phone. I love the S4 coming out - but by the time I upgrade the S4 will actually be old news.

Maybe Google will have a new galaxy nexus phone out by late 2013 -- hopefully it will work with tmobile.

I recently finally upgraded from my nexus one (off contract) to a nexus 4 (on contract) with Tmob. great phone. very fast, the thing that shocks me the most is how fast Tmob's semi 4G is on this thing, i've tested as high as 20 Mbps down and normally get 10+ in the sf bay area. the icing on the cake i suppose is that it has LTE band 4 hardware inside it and that is what Tmob is currently testing and starting to roll out and folks in those areas that have it already as well as others in canada where that same band is live have got it working on the Nexus 4 using an older radio and a few software changes, no rooting required however it only works until next reboot in that case but with a custom rom one could make band 4 LTE connectivity permanent

ok whats up with the new pricing for these things. at least at t-mo you pay $100 up front and the $20 a month for 24 months.

what the fukk happened to a flat discount rate if you renew a new 2 year?

They're moving away from subsidizing phones

that fukkin sucks. that would make all the new phones that come out $580 when all is said and done. then they got me by the balls for 2 years. im gonna be held by the balls from a phone company i sure as hell won't pay close to $600 for a phone. needs to be $250ish to hold me by the balls for 2 years :D

Last edited:
that fukkin sucks. that would make all the new phones that come out $480 when all is said and done. then they got me by the balls for 2 years. im gonna be held by the balls from a phone company i sure as hell won't pay close to $500 for a phone. needs to be $250ish to hold me by the balls for 2 years :D

People need to read and understand before they respond.

There is no more contract. There is no more subsidized phone. However, that doesn't mean they will force you to pony up $500+ for a new device right then and there.

T-Mobile made it so you pay some amount up front from the device and then you pay off the rest by adding some amount to your monthly bill. Once the phone is paid off that amount is removed from your bill.

Remember that the cost of subsidized phones is built into what you pay right now. The difference here is after 2 years you stop paying that money. Any other carrier right now you would still pay the same amount even after the phone has been paid off.

T-Mobile is doing the right thing here. Hopefully, this works out for them and causes the other carriers to rethink their bullshit pricing and contracts.

Plus it is nice that you just buy the phone outright and not have to pay that extra per month at all. Think Nexus. $350 from Google. Walk into T-Mobile, get a SIM and for $70/mo you have unlimited and unthrottled everything.

People need to read and understand before they respond.

There is no more contract. There is no more subsidized phone. However, that doesn't mean they will force you to pony up $500+ for a new device right then and there.

T-Mobile made it so you pay some amount up front from the device and then you pay off the rest by adding some amount to your monthly bill. Once the phone is paid off that amount is removed from your bill.

Remember that the cost of subsidized phones is built into what you pay right now. The difference here is after 2 years you stop paying that money. Any other carrier right now you would still pay the same amount even after the phone has been paid off.

T-Mobile is doing the right thing here. Hopefully, this works out for them and causes the other carriers to rethink their bullshit pricing and contracts.

Plus it is nice that you just buy the phone outright and not have to pay that extra per month at all. Think Nexus. $350 from Google. Walk into T-Mobile, get a SIM and for $70/mo you have unlimited and unthrottled everything.

but for us resellers it kills the deal. why would i want to pay $20 a month for a phone that im not gonna have more then a week?

Don't get one on tmobile?

im not footing the bill!

son of a bitch. they musta just changed this within the past week or so. the t-mo website had the gs3 for $279 a couple weeks ago and now they changed it to $69.99 and $20 a month.

time to find another option for not dealing with their $20 a month bullshit

since im not paying the bill and haven't paid a lick of attention to the new t-mo pricing, someone who has some insight on it can maybe help me out.

we have 5 lines on the account. 2 of them have unlimited data and the other has a 200mb limit. there is a 15% (i think) military discount and the bill is only $200 a month.

are the new plans a better deal for the same 5 lines and unlimited data on 2?

since im not paying the bill and haven't paid a lick of attention to the new t-mo pricing, someone who has some insight on it can maybe help me out.

we have 5 lines on the account. 2 of them have unlimited data and the other has a 200mb limit. there is a 15% (i think) military discount and the bill is only $200 a month.

are the new plans a better deal for the same 5 lines and unlimited data on 2?

The new plans are a better deal. All they have done is separated the phone from the plan. For example on the business side (what I looked at more recently) it was $60/month for the unlimited text and minutes and $30/month for the unlimited data. That is $90/month not including the cost of the device (Note II for example might be $250)

Now it is $50/month for unlimited talk and text plus another $20 for the unlimited data. That is $70/month not including the device. If you wanted a GS4 you would pay $99 upfront and $20/month for 24 months ($90/month for 24 months).

If you are a "reseller" than this is even better for you because at any time you could sell your brand new GS4. Payoff what you owe, and get another device for $99 down and $20/month. If you tried that on AT&T you would be stuck with buying a phone outright. You wouldn't be 'eligible' for upgrade pricing. With this setup you could change a phone 4 times a year paying $99 upfront and $20/month (you can also pay more upfront if you want)

edit: ran the numbers quickly with your 15% discount. To have 2 phones with unlimited data no throttling and the other 3 with 500mb of data and throttling after that it would be $127.50/month before considering the cost of phones.

edit 2: this could actually be a worse deal in some circumstances if you consider promotions they sometimes run.

Right now through my work (assuming its the same for everyone that gets to participate in the t-mobile advantage program) these are the prices. I was actually pretty shocked.

Classic Contract Pricing:
$4,448 for 24 months with 2 year contract and 5 GS3 phones. $500 ($541 w/ Houston tax) due today. (GS3 on sale for $49.99. $99.99-$50 MIR)
$5029 total. $50 back for every GS3 via MIR

New Value Pricing:
$3,060 for 24 months.
$2,400 for phones (5 phones @ $20/month)
$5,448 Total IGNORING initial deposit (normally around $100) for the phones.

edit 3: This GS3 deal might just be a unique circumstance but they are giving no discount on the device right now. It is $549.99. So... if you bought 5 GS3's full price upfront and used the value plan it would cost.

$127.50 for 24 months ($3,060)
$2,750 for phones (5 @ $550)

$5,810 Total

Last edited:
^^ if im reading that right, we are price wise better off staying with what we have?

also meant to say that only 1 line has 200 mb, the other 2 are no data (and of course 2 unlimited)

^^ if im reading that right, we are price wise better off staying with what we have?

also meant to say that only 1 line has 200 mb, the other 2 are no data (and of course 2 unlimited)

It all depends on your needs. With the new plans everyone gets 500mb minimum included and the two unlimited lines have an upcharge ($20 or $30 depending on classic or value plan)

If you need 5 new smartphones than picking up the gs3s on contract would be your best bet. If you plan on continuing to use some of your phones or only need like 1 or 2 new phones the value plan would be ideal.

It all depends on your needs. With the new plans everyone gets 500mb minimum included and the two unlimited lines have an upcharge ($20 or $30 depending on classic or value plan)

If you need 5 new smartphones than picking up the gs3s on contract would be your best bet. If you plan on continuing to use some of your phones or only need like 1 or 2 new phones the value plan would be ideal.

again since im not paying the bill i have little say so. all i cared about was paying $250 out of pocket for a phone and selling for more then double! now i can't do that so i guess i'll let the owner of the account decide what she wants to do.

and 3 smart phones will be max on the account. 1 of which needs very little data.

EDIT: was looking at wrong pricing chart, turns out they still have classic plan but for 3rd party stores selling their services

The removal the old non unlimited minutes plans sucks though

Last edited:
You guys bitching about 2 year plans. Come to Canada the land of get properly fucked by our Telcos..

I buy my phone and pay month to month.

They ask me why I don't want to have the newest phone on a contract..
I tell them the following.
1. I have unlocked Rooted Phone.
2. Your phone suck.
3. I really like my Fuck off phone company option.

They were ripping me off for years until I called and bitched then I got a better deal.

im not footing the bill!

son of a bitch. they musta just changed this within the past week or so. the t-mo website had the gs3 for $279 a couple weeks ago and now they changed it to $69.99 and $20 a month.

time to find another option for not dealing with their $20 a month bullshit

When you check out while looking at plans click the one payment option rather than monthly and it will show you what you will pay for buying the phone upfront with no contract.

Love T-mobile... and now they have LTE in my area. My note 2 has been blazin fast on their network and I'm paying FAR less than my friends with Verizon and crap

blackbeasst's reaction is a good summation of what T-Mobile is up against with their new strategy. Paying the real cost of the phone vs. paying more under a 2 year contract but being given the illusion of paying less.

Though, blackbeasst, you said somebody else is footing the bill? So the intent was to get the vendor-locked subsidized phone, sell it for a 100% profit, keep that profit for yourself, and then let someone else pay the actual cost for it?

Last edited:
blackbeasst's reaction is a good summation of what T-Mobile is up against with their new strategy. Paying the real cost of the phone vs. paying more under a 2 year contract but being given the illusion of paying less.

Though, blackbeasst, you said somebody else is footing the bill? So the intent was to get the vendor-locked subsidized, sell it for a 100% profit, keep that profit for yourself, and then let someone else pay the actual cost for it?

Yes someone else is paying for the built in subsidy and he is keeping the profit from selling the phone. So whoever is paying the bill is eating the cost. If it is someone in his family it is kind of pointless.

Though, blackbeasst, you said somebody else is footing the bill? So the intent was to get the vendor-locked subsidized phone, sell it for a 100% profit, keep that profit for yourself, and then let someone else pay the actual cost for it?

yup, thats about it!

but im still not sold that this will cost less over 2 years then the previous, and our current, plan.

Yes someone else is paying for the built in subsidy and he is keeping the profit from selling the phone. So whoever is paying the bill is eating the cost. If it is someone in his family it is kind of pointless.

correct. my sister in law is paying the bill.

ok so lemme ask this....

what if i buy a phone from a 3rd party site like staplesmobile? thats pretty much the same subsidized pricing, correct?

if i buy a phone from them there won't be any $20/month for 2 years will there?

Its really on a phone by phone basis atm they have the nexus 4 "retailing" for like 457.99
Thats $100 more than buying it directly from google.

Now the HTC one You could buy for :
$550 unlocked preorder 32GB
$650 for the Developer 64GB

However With Tmobile $100 down sort of (trading in HTC Incredible thats 3 years old and barely works) You get $100 back, and then $20 for 24 months ~$480.

If you were lucky enough to grab the dev edition you might be able to fetch $900-$1000 before the S4 comes out. I also believe they will be sold out until S4 comes out.

Its really on a phone by phone basis atm they have the nexus 4 "retailing" for like 457.99
Thats $100 more than buying it directly from google.
Shipping & tax from Google makes the N4 $398 for me, so, that is only 50 more.

well i came to the conclusion that i will pass on upgrading my phone and help out my sister in law with a lower phone bill.

had i upgraded the two lines i wanted to we would be stuck in the current plan till 2015 paying $210 a month. so being the nice B-I-L i am, i passed on phones to lower the bill to $130ish

well i came to the conclusion that i will pass on upgrading my phone and help out my sister in law with a lower phone bill.

had i upgraded the two lines i wanted to we would be stuck in the current plan till 2015 paying $210 a month. so being the nice B-I-L i am, i passed on phones to lower the bill to $130ish

Very good of you!, Glad you are being smart and considerate, especially since she is already being very kind by paying your monthly phone service for you. I do hope you appreciate it.

Very good of you!, Glad you are being smart and considerate, especially since she is already being very kind by paying your monthly phone service for you. I do hope you appreciate it.

yeah and since she is being re-stationed (if thats the correct military term) next month, i figured the extra money will help her out in the long run.

that fukkin sucks. that would make all the new phones that come out $580 when all is said and done. then they got me by the balls for 2 years. im gonna be held by the balls from a phone company i sure as hell won't pay close to $600 for a phone. needs to be $250ish to hold me by the balls for 2 years :D

no, you can terminate at any time with no ETF, the only thing you would have to do is pay the outstanding balance on the hardware.

For example You pay $100 for the phone up front and $20 a month for 24 months. If after 6 months you are not satisfied and you want to leave you can and all you owe is the 360 remaining on the phone. IF you stay a year and then leave you only owe $240...

Or

If you have your own device, you'd owe nothing...

no, you can terminate at any time with no ETF, the only thing you would have to do is pay the outstanding balance on the hardware.

For example You pay $100 for the phone up front and $20 a month for 24 months. If after 6 months you are not satisfied and you want to leave you can and all you owe is the 360 remaining on the phone. IF you stay a year and then leave you only owe $240...

Or

If you have your own device, you'd owe nothing...

my point was either way im paying $600 for a phone. 2 years or not. it might not be called an ETF, but essentially you are paying to leave early. not on the plan but the phone.

my point was either way im paying $600 for a phone. 2 years or not. it might not be called an ETF, but essentially you are paying to leave early. not on the plan but the phone.

No you're NOT paying to leave early, you ONLY pay if you buy a phone from them and you leave before you pay it off.

B.Y.O.P. and you can leave at any time with no fee.

lol did you honestly think that you were going to be able to get a phone and a plan cheap and not have to pay for the hardware?

No you're NOT paying to leave early, you ONLY pay if you buy a phone from them and you leave before you pay it off.

B.Y.O.P. and you can leave at any time with no fee.

lol did you honestly think that you were going to be able to get a phone and a plan cheap and not have to pay for the hardware?

which is another term for early termination fee :)

had you left early with a subsidized phone you would be hit with a roughly $20/month left ETF. guess what, if you leave early you still have to pay the remaining balance on your phone. which equates to $20/month if you don't pay more then normal upfront

and i have never once talked about bringing my own phone. i know if you do that then there is no fee. but not once have i said that so stop bringing it up.

edit: lets do some math real quick......

2 year plan with a $250 subsidized phone. i leave after 6 months and have 18 months left. i pay $360 ETF. $250+360= $610 OOP after 6 months

no subsidized phone, $99 upfront, $20 a month for same 6 months. 18 months left on phone payment at $20/month. $99+120+360= $579. either way you are still payin darn near $600, 2 years or not.

Last edited:
Back