Unusually high idle temps

DuffMan72

Limp Gawd
For some reason, my idol temps for my E6300 @ 3.01 GHZ (1.240 volts) has jumped from mid 30s to mid-high 40s. My load temps remain the same, at roughly 53-56 degrees. I haven't changed anything. Should I re-apply some thermal paste?

So you got an E6300 @ 3Ghz that runs at 1.24v and idled at mid 30c with stock cooler? Sounds strange here...:rolleyes:

So you got an E6300 @ 3Ghz that runs at 1.24v and idled at mid 30c with stock cooler? Sounds strange here...:rolleyes:

How so? The P5Bs are great with undervolting, but I do admit one mistake, it used to idle at 38-39 degrees, as opposed to the mid 30s (@3.01ghz). Right now I'm running it at 2.33ghz and my idle temps are still at the mid 40s.

I would re do the thermal paste.....My E6600 was also getting hot after about 2 weeks of running it.....I cleaned off the stock paste, which is supposedly pretty good, and used some AS-5 and got my temps down to 31 idle and 45 load.....they were at 40 and 55 before....

I'm @ 3.2 on the stock cooler BTW.

Is rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip good enough for removing the stock thermal paste?

Yep, just wipe off w/ paper towel, the use rubbing alcohol on a cotton cloth like an old teeshirt, q-tips are fine too. I wouldn't use the stock paste if you're going through the trouble of cleaning it off. Get yourself some AS5.

Yep, just wipe off w/ paper towel, the use rubbing alcohol on a cotton cloth like an old teeshirt, q-tips are fine too. I wouldn't use the stock paste if you're going through the trouble of cleaning it off. Get yourself some AS5.

Yeah, I'm gonna pick up some AS5 sometime this week. I know how to apply it to the CPU, but when i reseat the heatsink, how do I do it (assuming, of course, if there's a different way to apply it compared to the stock stuff)?

do NOT use a q-tip or old tee shirt or anything of the sort, they leave cotton fibers (lint).

Use a coffee filter as a cloth to wipe things clean with, they are lint free, (people dont like lint in their coffee apparently) :eek:

More than likely one of the "feet" on the stock intel heatsink has popped loose due to it not being pressed in all the way.

You have to press those push pins so hard it hurts your thumb until you hear it click.

The method Bill posted is the preferred method, and is the correct way to do it.....
However, I just wiped mine off with a towel, slapped on some AS5 and installed it..
been doing it this way forever and haven't had any problems yet :)

As an engineer I tend to alway state the most desirable alternative and most rigid answer. Acutally an old tee shirt would probally be ok, I have seen Q-tips fall apart under use and would not recommend them. Reading between the lines of my previous post anything that is "lint free" would do just avoid things like terry cloth rags/washcloths, fluffy or "soft" paper towels, etc. etc. That was my main point however I did a poor job of getting it across.

Hmm hard to beleive Tesco's does not have plain ole paper coffee filters as used in countertop drip coffee makers.

Hmm hard to beleive Tesco's does not have plain ole paper coffee filters as used in countertop drip coffee makers.

Being an employee there, you'd think i'd know, wouldn't you? I'll have to check; though, i've never actually seen them before.

I dont know why anybody didnt reccomend this.....just use a Mansize tissue ...:)

Heh, that made me chuckle. :D

Bill, i'm still not having any luck tracking down these coffee filters. It's weird: on the US google, i get loads of image returns when searching for "coffee filter"; whereas, on the UK version, i get none! It's like they don't even exist over here.

I think you're making too much out of it... an old tee-shirt cut into rag sized piece will due just fine.

Back