Untangle web cache not caching Windows Updates?

BigBadAl

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

bit stumped by this but I currently have the Web Cache add-on from Untangle but it certainly isn`t caching Windows updates.

It does cache some stuff but definitely not the windows updates which was the primary reason for me paying extra for it.

I do a lot of repairs/rebuilds for friends and family and the ability to have most of, if not all, windows updates locally would have been a great help but so far the max cached amount is like a little over 63MB (63256546 bytes).

Cache is running (as far as I can tell) and has been since I first bought the subscription sometime last year. it`s got to be coming up to expiring/renewal sometime soon and if I can`t get it working I won`t bother, but if I can I think it would be a worthwhile addition to and already fantastic package.

Anyone got any ideas where I could start with getting this going?

Thanks

Have you tried something like Offline Updater?

I keep it on a 32GB flash drive and it works well for me.

Well yeah, that`s an option, but shouldn`t web cache just... well cache the web?

offline updater is something I could look at but you can put money on the fact I wouldn`t be able to find the USB stick when I needed it.

Everything I read about it says it caches windows updates fine but mine really doesn`t.

Untangle is currently running off a 200GB Laptop disk, that should be plenty right?

Squid doesn't do Windows Update...

I personally perfer Autopatcher sompared to Offline Updater but both are fine I guess.
//Danne

It will cache if you allow it to cache large enough files. I think by default squid only caches somewhere between 1 - 4MB files. Between that and the overall size of the cache (If it's around 64MB that might be all the more it reserves for caching) you should be able to get it to cache the files, but I would say another method is probably still preferred. Most likely by the time you request that particular download again the cache will have expired and it will just re download it again.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=46793.0

Neither relate directly to untangle and I'm not exactly sure how that feature works, but it's probably similar to how it is on pfsense.

Last edited:
Squid does a poor job at caching Windows Updates and most of the time it will break the update sequence. You're better off running a VM and WSUS instead by far.
//Danne

Ahh bugger!

Oh well, thanks for all your input, I won`t be renewing the web-cache, I`ll look into another method.

Ran Offline updater and it took 2hrs 5 mins to build, finished up around 10GB...

Will give it a go on the next clean-up/rebuild I do and see how it pans out...

is there an option to just check for and download any updates since the last check so it doesn`t take the full 2hrs- odd next time? I have looked but can`t see it...

offline updater will download just the new/added patches since it was last run, ive always run it first on a never patched build, so everything gets dl'd

Lovely, good to know, thanks again, will have a look into it...

sure I could run that from a share.....

Hmmm

I run mine on a freenas VM, open access share..works great for the 'recall' feature, updates, reboots and continues to pull updates until its done

I agree with previous posters. Squid isn't very good at doing Windows Updates. There are entire blog posts and tutorials on getting it to work but it's kind of a pain. It's so much easier to just use a WSUS server if you're doing VMs and whatnot.

Back