Unsecured Wireless Network help

Hi I've got a Linksys WRT54G. When I click "View Available Wireless Networks" I can see my network but it says that it is "Unsecured". How do I make it so it becomes secure? I've already setup an administrator password and changed the SSID but it still says that my network is unsecured. Is there some setting that I need to click on or change? Any help is greatly appreciated.

^ - that guys an ass. Sorry some of the members here can be trash. You should enable WEP (at least) or WPA. It should be in one of your tabs on you're router.

^ - that guys an ass. Sorry some of the members here can be trash. You should enable WEP (at least) or WPA. It should be in one of your tabs on you're router.

Thanks. I now have an issue. I enabled WPA Pre - Shared Key, I set the algorithm to TKIP and group key renewal to 3600. I created a WPA shared key. I clicked save.

I have 2 wireless computers upstairs. I went upstairs to connect to the network on the pc in my room. I clicked "View available networks" and it found my network and it says secure, I then hit connect and typed in the WPA Key but it doesnt connect, I typed in the key again but it still won't connect.

What's strange is that It connects just fine on my mom's computer (after entering the WPA Key) but I can't connect to the network on the pc in my room. I've got a Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter in the computer and the computer is running Windows XP Service Pack 2

Any help is greatly appreciated

As much of an ass as I may be, my post provided a whole lot more information than yours did.:rolleyes:

TechStuey: Make sure you have the Windows update for WPA2 installed, it sounds like that's why one of your PCs is connected and the other isn't.

I don't think my Network adapter supports WPA. I think that's why it wasn't connecting. It's a Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter, I bought it around 2003. What other options do I have?

I have the same router.After changing ISP's and modems,I kept losing my internet connection.So,I called the the free toll number to Linksys support. They walked me through all the settings,had me change a few settings and made sure i had security settings enabled right.

All at NO CHARGE!

Give 'em a call.

Also, if you didn't change your SSID, you should go in and browse the wireless networks and delete your old network on all of your computers. THEN reconnect. That way your computer doesn't get confused. Helps alot.

Option 2 (less fiddling on each computer)

Change the SSID. Even one character. That way when you connect you aren't using any stored profiles, which may give you trouble.

There might be a newer driver for your old wireless card available on the Linksys website which adds WPA support.

I don't think my Network adapter supports WPA. I think that's why it wasn't connecting. It's a Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter, I bought it around 2003. What other options do I have?

It should support WPA, it's a G NIC.

Just do a WPA pre shared key..make up a decent one..toss some numbers in it.

It's a home network....no reason to lose sleep over making it enterprise grade security.

Latest drivers for wireless NIC
Updates for Windows
Latest firmware on the router
Create a unique SSID in the router
Change default password for web admin of router
Set WPA on your router..make up your key
Go to wireless client..browse, select your SSID, enter the WPA key you made up.done.

Having WPA or WPA2 security thwarts away even more people.

Disabling SSID can actually cause some wireless clients to have issues, not all wireless adapters work well when SSID is disabled.

Besides..the kiddies determined to "hack" into neighbors wireless use tools that still easily see your wireless network..even if SSID broadcast is disables...doesn't really protect against those tools.

I was considering "most people" to be people who don't know anythi g other than how to log onto an unsecured wireless. Didn't know about the issues though, good point.

Use WPA. Older adapters that say they support WPA2 may...but they do a poor job at it.

Thanks guys It's working now :). I upgraded my router to the latest firmware, I downloaded and installed the drivers for the wireless network adapter (it might have already had the lastest update). I then went on my wireless computer, clicked "view available network" I selected my network, typed in my WPA key and clicked "connect" and it connected. my mom's computer wasn't connected though, her computer uses the WLAN Monitor. I found the network, typed in the password and it connected. Again thanks for the help.

I have a few question, I'll be receiving a new computer in about a week or so.I currently have a Linksys WRT54G, I have the option of purchasing a newer router. Would a newer router be faster such as a wireless N? I also have the option of getting an Apple Time capsule is that router as good as a Linksys? Is it just as easy to configure as a Linksys? Thanks

Having WPA or WPA2 security thwarts away even more people.

Disabling SSID can actually cause some wireless clients to have issues, not all wireless adapters work well when SSID is disabled.

Besides..the kiddies determined to "hack" into neighbors wireless use tools that still easily see your wireless network..even if SSID broadcast is disables...doesn't really protect against those tools.

Yep I turned SSID broadcast off but my wireless computer couldn't detect my network, when I turned SSID broadcast back on my computer detected the network and I was able to connect to it.

Back