Unplug cpu fan on Intel Celeron G1610

quiktake

Gawd
So, I didn't like the CPU fan noise and decided to check temps in a closed htpc case without the CPU plugged in.

Before with fan plugged: Idle 30, Max load 40
After unplugging: Idle 40, Max load 65

I assume is is ok to leave the cpu fan unplugged as long as the case fans provide enough ventilation. Correct?

IMO 65c sounds pretty good for a HS without a fan running, and yes good airflow thru the case seems to be doing it. I wouldn't worry. Try running prime95 for a few hours. That would give you some indication wether the ventilation is good or not.

IMO 65c sounds pretty good for a HS without a fan running, and yes good airflow thru the case seems to be doing it. I wouldn't worry. Try running prime95 for a few hours. That would give you some indication wether the ventilation is good or not.

you are pretty crazy bud.. how you send the OP to P95 his CPU with fanless stock heatsink?.. that will make a instant shut down due to overheat....

the temp he provided are in a "closed HTPC case" so that mean his temps are based on basic use, at most fullHD/blu-ray playback wich are FAR way to a p95 run will do...

to the OP 65C degrees on a 55W TDP Chip not sounds really good.. the temp should be in general rule much lower than the max TDP in standard non OC chips.. if you want a silent or fanless solution.. you can check the Silverstone NT-06-E or NT-06PRO.. wich are the perfect solution for HTPC mini-itx case..

he did say 65c MAX LOAD...so I didn't say he would barbeque his processor just for laughs, I said if he wanted to know if tha ventilation was good enough, run prime95. If it fails , he just gets a shutdown, and then he'll know. OP you might wanna think about undervolting also.

As a general rule htpcs run a little hotter due to need for silence I think as long as my temps for gpu and cpu are below 80 degrees at load, things are ok.

I'll test prime 95, although I am not sure what value that has, I won't be using an htpc to calculate prime numbers. I the heaven benchmark is probably the most grueling as a system and will probably max out such a low powered cpu.

Thank's for everyone's input!

Most BIOS nowadays have CPU fan profile options to set max speeds, etc. That is a much better idea than running without the fan. Higher temps degrade circuitry faster!

I'd suggest the same. Run the fan speeds at lower rpms to get that silence you're looking for.

There is nothing wrong with passive cooling if the temps are good. A lot of guys over at SPCR do it.

Last edited:
Back