Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

My new 2405...I love this thing.. :D BLOWS away my ViewSonic G810.

Tribes2

3.jpg

CS:S

1.jpg

I just got my Dell 2405FP monitor last week and realized I had to replace my old Cybex Switchview KVM switch (which has a max resolution of 1600x1200). So I got a new Avocent Switchview PC-4 which advertises handling max resolution of 2048x1536. My video cards are ATI Radeon All-in-wonder 9000 and 9600 Pro both of which do 1920x1200@60Hz. But with ATI's latest software configured for video and monitor at 1920x1200@60Hz the screen image is horizontally compressed over to the right side of the monitor rather than using the full width of the screen. Connected straight to the video card the image is fine.

Avocent tech support, though very pleasant (and offering a refund) was not able to resolve the problem.

Which leaves me looking for a new KVM switch.

Does anyone have the 2405 working at 1920x1200 with a KVM switch?

Wenty said:
My new 2405...I love this thing.. :D BLOWS away my ViewSonic G810.

Tribes2

3.jpg

CS:S

1.jpg

LOL, when I'm going to buy my new comp and components, I will practically have the same setup with you

specifically that sexy zippy keyboard (too bad ordering from them is a bitch), and logitechs mouse along with the 2405

So has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the dell 24" with the apple 23", with pics? The apple 23" is down to $1300 with the educational discount.

And what about a side-by-side comparison of the dell 20" widescreen with the apple 20" (which is now $700)?

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,
Warborn

Warborn said:
So has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the dell 24" with the apple 23", with pics? The apple 23" is down to $1300 with the educational discount.

And what about a side-by-side comparison of the dell 20" widescreen with the apple 20" (which is now $700)?

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,
Warborn

http://anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

has anyone used the 2405 with a MacMini? If I can sell my 19" im going to buy a 2405 but it has to work with my mini running Tiger now. Thanks!

chrism said:
I couldn't play those. My video looked blank, even though the file size was all there.

down load the matroska codec pack or VLC player. i have to say the bit where the astranuaghts play about witha blob of water floating mid orbit beats any cgi sfx in films. tbh they sould release more hi def footage of them fooling around.

jonw757 said:
has anyone used the 2405 with a MacMini? If I can sell my 19" im going to buy a 2405 but it has to work with my mini running Tiger now. Thanks!

I havent used the 2405, but i have used the 23" Cinema.... It looked amazing, but keep in mind, with such a weak graphics card, some GUI animations such as Expose come out choppier on those big boys than on comparable smaller monitors, such as the 20" Cinema.

I'm actually in the same boat as you, however i havent picked up my mini yet. I am either going to go with the 2005 or 2405.

Interesting.. Luckily I dont use my mini for much else besides web surfing and email. Maybe I can get the Apple store to hook up a 23" to a mini.. Thanks for the info

Does anyone know why Dell.de doesn't list the 2405FPW anymore? They only list the 2005FPW. I wanted to buy the monitor sometime in May, now they don't list it anymore :rolleyes: .

Icheb said:
Does anyone know why Dell.de doesn't list the 2405FPW anymore? They only list the 2005FPW. I wanted to buy the monitor sometime in May, now they don't list it anymore :rolleyes: .

Depends on your country... Still shows up on the US site, but i've heard it dosent always show in other countries...

well im in the uk and dell uk told me they are swamped on pre orders as they have sold out fast, shame as i want another one

On another note, if anyone is able to get any good prices from reps, please PM (or post) the info... It would be greatly appreciated :)

Just try calling Dell, u r bound to run into a rep who offer a low price for ya :D

On another note, this thread reached 100 page mark :D

Hmmm... I had a disturbing dream about my 2405FPW last night.

I was using my display, and when I stood up I somehow squished my screen against my knee (I have no idea how this is possible, but it happened in my dream).

I didn't expect any damage, but then suddenly I noticed my screen looked like the damaged 2405FPW that I recieved in real life and had to exchange. I was seriously PO'd.... and then I suddenly woke up and was relieved to see my real 2405 sitting on my desk :D

Can I be the first to claim that I had a dream about my monitor!!??

I think someone's a bit too obsessed with their 24" LCD... ;)

/me patiently awaits mine to arrive (should be any day now)... :D

1c3d0g said:
I think someone's a bit too obsessed with their 24" LCD... ;)

/me patiently awaits mine to arrive (should be any day now)... :D
One good thing about the 2405 is that when viewing Playboy centerfolds off the CyberClub, they ALMOST look life size. :D Plus the monitor rotates. WOOT!

PKFGimpy said:
Can I be the first to claim that I had a dream about my monitor!!??

Maybe, when was this dream? My replacement 2405FPW arrived yesterday, and while setting it up, I dropped the left edge an inch onto the table. There was no damage, but last night, I had a dream about dropping the thing off my desk.

qdemn7 said:
One good thing about the 2405 is that when viewing Playboy centerfolds off the CyberClub, they ALMOST look life size. :D Plus the monitor rotates. WOOT!

AHAHAHA

rhashem said:
Maybe, when was this dream? My replacement 2405FPW arrived yesterday, and while setting it up, I dropped the left edge an inch onto the table. There was no damage, but last night, I had a dream about dropping the thing off my desk.
I'd call it my worse nightmare! :(

rhashem said:

My dream was last night... well, technically it was this morning sometime. So sometime between the hours of 2:00am and 7:30am MST May 4 I had the dream.

That would be creepy if we both had our dreams at THE EXACT SAME TIME!! Maybe all 2405FPW owners are connected in some really deep way... through our brainwaves, kinda like how twins feel like they are connected at some really deep level. When one 2405FPW owner sees his LCD fall on the floor, they all share the pain :eek:

get over it already.. it's just a rectangular piece of plastic with wires :D /me strokes 2405 :D

Utterly I am happy with my particular 2405fpw, and I have had it since March.

It has zero dead pixels, and this was the only one I've owned. I went through 8 lcd monitors trying to get one without one for my 20" lcd quest. Then this 24" came out, and I wanted it instead. My 8th 20 inch lcd was the 2005fpw, and it had no dead pixels, finally. But it had wretched backlighting issues. In fact, all 3 2005fpw had this problem that I cycled through.

The 2405 has no real backlighting issues, I mean it ain't pitch black, but it is perfect when watching anything on pitch black and I looked for differences and I can't tell at all.
I'm moderately picky too.

What I am saying is that I got lucky on this monitor, and it hasn't developed any dead pixels, and this thing has been used primarly as an hdtv, and it's awesome.
I'm very pleased, and brightness and contrast ratio, esp in dark scenes, is quite impressive. There is no ghosting when watching sports, and it's super duper bright. So bright, in fact, that 75% it is still what any normal lcd monitor would be.

It's definitely worth the money, and I lost track of the deals they were giving on it, but it was $860 in March, so I got in on that deal. Definitely would plan on keeping this monitor with me for a long, long time, and once it's considered a spare, then it'll move exclusively as an hdtv for the bedroom, etc.

I have a pair of these and both are flawless - no dead pixels, no backlight problems..I got quite lucky!

Back