Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

CalKenneth said:
Meanwhile, my first panel is still free from dead pixels, but I have noticed slight backlight bleeding from the upper left corner. I can't remember if other people mentioned some backlight bleeding on their 2405FPWs, but this is a pretty small amount.
You aren't alone. Mine has a smidgen of bleed in the upper left corner. Nothing compared to the 2005FPW though.

Riptide_NVN said:
You aren't alone. Mine has a smidgen of bleed in the upper left corner. Nothing compared to the 2005FPW though.

Yep, same place. Probably a manufacturing thing... I remember the 2001FPs always had some backlight bleed in the same two places. The only difference was the severity of the bleed.

Did you have bleeding in both the original and replacement unit?

Nope. The original was perfect in that regard, to the best of my memory. Plus my 2001FP had perfect backlighting - it only showed a bit of bleed in the upper right before it warmed up. The bleed appeared to disappear completely after a 10 minute warmup period.

The 2001FP had two dead pixels though so it still wasn't a perfect unit. That and the lovely screen door issue ofcourse.

WOOT!!! I got mine today.. and so far all I've been able to do was play Halo 2 on it...

Are there any games out there that support 1080i?? All my games are 480p... =(

But it's freakin beautiful.. and my screen doesn't buzz... and from what I can tell.. 0 dead pixels, but that will take more work later

Thought I'd post this query here as well as in another topic...

Have any of you found a way to run games at 1680x1050?? I'm using the 2405FPW (digital) display driver coupled with an X800XT PE and I can't find that resolution in games or on the desktop. Below 1920x1200, the next 16:10 resolution listed is 1280x768 (apart from a 13xx resolution I'm unsure of).

I know my card's perfectly capable of running at 1680x1050 as it didn't have a problem on the 2005FPW. I'm assuming the 2405FPW doesn't have this option. Can anybody help clarify?

I have a question regarding my order for this monitor.

I ordered one a few weeks ago from Dell Canada and recieved it, but it was damaged upon arrival. I requested a replacement and Dell placed a new order for another monitor on the 17th. It is now the 22nd, and the order is still in the "Production" phase of the Dell.ca website. This seems to be taking abnormally long.

My first order went from Production to shipping in under 24 hours. This one has taken 5 days now :/

Is there anything I can do, or am I doomed to not have my Dell monitor before the long weekend :(

PKFGimpy said:
I have a question regarding my order for this monitor.

I ordered one a few weeks ago from Dell Canada and recieved it, but it was damaged upon arrival. I requested a replacement and Dell placed a new order for another monitor on the 17th. It is now the 22nd, and the order is still in the "Production" phase of the Dell.ca website. This seems to be taking abnormally long.

My first order went from Production to shipping in under 24 hours. This one has taken 5 days now :/

Is there anything I can do, or am I doomed to not have my Dell monitor before the long weekend :(

I don't know about Canada, but the Dell US site states "ships in 5-7 days"

AuroraProject said:
I don't know about Canada, but the Dell US site states "ships in 5-7 days"

Just received my replacement display and it took 8 days. First display took a week. I am in California.

BigPlaya said:
Just received my replacement display and it took 8 days. First display took a week. I am in California.

Yeah, I just received my exchange today as well. Also in California, and took a total of 9 days, mostly due to an order that was set-up incorrectly. Once it was corrected, it took 5 days to ship. I'm using the new monitor right now - will report more shortly, but first things first:

Yes, it still buzzes.

edit: Dead pixel on the upper left hand side of the screen. That makes my decision easy - this one goes back!

i ordered mine the 7th here in belgium. still in production. anybody else in europe order theirs and get it already? i'm thinking i should give them a call to see what's up. this is taking too long.

canned_polar_bear said:
i ordered mine the 7th here in belgium. still in production. anybody else in europe order theirs and get it already? i'm thinking i should give them a call to see what's up. this is taking too long.
yup, I had mine for about 2 weeks, I am from Amsterdam

Dear all
long time lurker, first time poster, so firstly greets to you all.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while but due to the huge number of post (rightly so, this display does seem very sweet indeed), I am finding it hard to get answers from just looking through - maybe I missed them, so I hope you don't mind if they are repeats.

Before I order this week, I would like to know a few things, mainly to do with external inputs other then the computer (DVI, D-Sub), as I will use to display for TV and PS2 gaming, both PAL systems. As there is no HD in Europe so far, other then a few DVDs and downloads, the broadcasts and systems are usually in PAL resolution, which is I believe 752x576, SDTV.
So can someone, whos in europe, with a PAL set-top or sat-box and a PS2 connected via component please give me their experience and any short comings with the 2405FPWs? Are there any shears on the top or bottom parts of the screen, how it works with 1:1, poportional scaled up and widescreen settings? Anything out of the ordinary, any major de-interlacing during fast scenes, TV and PS2 gaming, etc... is there a need for a XSelect-D4 or something similar?
Another point of concern is I am using a T40p Thinkpad with portreplicator with DVI output, I know there are a limit to that, but there is also a hack for it to bypass the resolution limitation, which I got, but it would be great if theres someone out there whos used it with this display and can give a short account of their experience.
This issues are a quite important, so I hope you don't mind me asking - any help would be very appriciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

I live in the UK and receive my monitor within two days.

badlydrawn - I cant answer your questions but take a look at this forum as they have discussed a lot of the stuff you are asking about.

OcUK Forums - Dell 24"
You may want to skip the first few pages on it.
Hope it helps.

I'd like to request a quick POLL for 2405FPW owners (using Windows XP): is 1680x1050 an option in your display properties??

So far, one user has confirmed he does have, and this is using an Nvidia card.

I've got an ATI x800 series card, and it seems to be missing :p (this is using the 4.12 and the 5.3 drivers). I'm thinking I might have to do a complete driver cleanup and reinstall, but I want to find out other users' results first.

If you've got the time, please post your graphics card, driver version and whether you have the option or not.

Cheers guys! :cool:

JonDo[H] said:
I'd like to request a quick POLL for 2405FPW owners (using Windows XP): is 1680x1050 an option in your display properties??

So far, one user has confirmed he does have, and this is using an Nvidia card.

I've got an ATI x800 series card, and it seems to be missing :p (this is using the 4.12 and the 5.3 drivers). I'm thinking I might have to do a complete driver cleanup and reinstall, but I want to find out other users' results first.

If you've got the time, please post your graphics card, driver version and whether you have the option or not.

Cheers guys! :cool:
Why would you want to do a thing like that? The monitor runs at 1920x1200 nativly not 1680x1050.

For what it's worth to you my nvidia 6800 GT does support 1680 and so does my ati radeon 9700 card in my laptop. it's the laptops native resolution. but im using very old drivers on it (6.14). didnt get any new ones to work on it at all.

Hi,

I have an ATi X850 XT card running driver version 5.3 and I do not have that resolution as an option. If you check under display properties and then adapter and click on list all modes you will see that the ATI adapter does not support that resolution.

This is supported resolutions from ATI website:-
2D DISPLAY MODES
Resolutions,
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x1024
1600x1200
1920x1080 16:9
1920x1200
1920x1440
2048x1536

According to Dell web site these are the preset display modes for the 2405FPW

VGA, 720 x 400
VGA, 640 x 480
VESA, 640 x 480
VESA, 800 x 600
VESA, 800 x 600
VESA, 1024 x 768
VESA, 1024 x 768
VESA, 1152 x 864
VESA, 1280 x 1024
VESA, 1280 x 1024
VESA, 1600 x 1200
VESA, 1920 x 1200

HOpe that helps

Cheers! What's interesting is that when I had a 2005FPW my current ATI graphics card COULD support the 1680x1050 resolution, because it DID do ;)

dadj, I'd find using that resolution useful because there are some games that under-perform at the native resolution of 1920x1200. One such example is the OpenGL based Freedom Force Versus the 3rd Reich. ATI cards aren't particularly OpenGL friendly at the best of times: some of its later levels of this game run comparatively slow compared to how they ran at 1680x1050 on my 2005FPW. Currently, if I want to retain a 16:10 aspect ratio and NOT use the native res, my next choice falls all the way down to 1280x768. A bit of a drop there I'm sure you'd agree :p

Any more findings, people? :)

Just received mine an its amazing :)

pimpinklein.jpg

No dead pixels \o/.

I have one problem though, my mouse lags in games like quake 3 and cs. Is this something i can resolve using drivers (have mx310 now without logitech drivers) or is this something standard when using tft's?

Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure RivaTuner for Nvidia cards has a "custom" resolution that you can force. Its been awhile since i used RivaTuner but im pretty sure thats where i saw it, or maybe it was just in the nvidia contol panel somewhere. I dont know if there is a program like that for the ATI side of things or not, but might be worth a shot.

mort said:
Just received mine an its amazing :)

pimpinklein.jpg

No dead pixels \o/.

I have one problem though, my mouse lags in games like quake 3 and cs. Is this something i can resolve using drivers (have mx310 now without logitech drivers) or is this something standard when using tft's?
Try installing the mousedrivers, would be my best guess. If it's just choppy, defragging could help, worked for me at least. i have a mx1000

Drivers helped a great bit but still experiencing some lag. My mouse cursor runs much smoother on the 17" then on the beast. Maybe its something I just have to get used to.

mort said:
Drivers helped a great bit but still experiencing some lag. My mouse cursor runs much smoother on the 17" then on the beast. Maybe its something I just have to get used to.
If you have a relatively low framerate, it could be because of triple-buffering in graphics. It may take up to three graphics frames before you see the mouse as it was 'back then' (depending on how the graphics are implemented in the game). So on a low framerate you could be always a long time behind.

It may also have to do with the processing power required to run at the specified resolution, leaving the system little time to update the mouse.

Try running at a much lower resolution to see what happens...

(I also resolved a choppy-mouse-update-problem once by reinstalling Windows ;) )

JonDo[H] said:
Cheers! What's interesting is that when I had a 2005FPW my current ATI graphics card COULD support the 1680x1050 resolution, because it DID do ;)

dadj, I'd find using that resolution useful because there are some games that under-perform at the native resolution of 1920x1200. One such example is the OpenGL based Freedom Force Versus the 3rd Reich. ATI cards aren't particularly OpenGL friendly at the best of times: some of its later levels of this game run comparatively slow compared to how they ran at 1680x1050 on my 2005FPW. Currently, if I want to retain a 16:10 aspect ratio and NOT use the native res, my next choice falls all the way down to 1280x768. A bit of a drop there I'm sure you'd agree :p

I don't understand why you would want to run at a non-native resolution unless you plan on having the scaling set to 1:1, which will make the image smaller, and defeat the size of this monitor. If you set the scaling to fill or aspect, it will look like hell. If it doesn't look like hell to you, then you're not picky, and should be lowering the graphics settings of the game anyway, and just play at 1920x1200.

chrism said:
I don't understand why you would want to run at a non-native resolution unless you plan on having the scaling set to 1:1, which will make the image smaller, and defeat the size of this monitor. If you set the scaling to fill or aspect, it will look like hell. If it doesn't look like hell to you, then you're not picky, and should be lowering the graphics settings of the game anyway, and just play at 1920x1200.

Heh, but I don't mind a little interpolation at all! If anything, it acts like a form of free anti-aliasing imvho. I'd take high detail and scaling over lower detail and native any day of the week. I'll be running at aspect. By running the screen at 1680x1050, the screen will have less scaling to do than it has at 1280x768 (currently the next 16:10 option available to me below native). But anyway, what I like is besides the point. I just want to know how many 2405FPW owners have the option of running in 1680x1050 (on the desktop and/or in game).

Cheers videogamer323 - I may check out the Powerstrip tool (pretty useful for video settings and such).

JonDo[H] said:

Jon, no can do on a Sapphire Radeon 9600, 256MB, AGP 4x on an Athlon 1.0GHz.

mort said:
No dead pixels \o/. I have one problem though, my mouse lags in games like quake 3 and cs. Is this something i can resolve using drivers (have mx310 now without logitech drivers) or is this something standard when using tft's?
My slow computer had a mouse problem after using this monitor with the above card. I had to turn down my hardware acceleration in the video settings to just under half, which solved that problem and a problem seeing drawing objects in Word 2003 (Office XP). I don't do any gaming, but it's hard to believe that 1.0 GHz isn't enough for word processing on this monitor. :eek:

Edit: One more thing, am I supposed to see more than one frame every 3 seconds on that Coral Reef? :p Seriously, that's what I get. The site said that I should have a 9800 AGP 8x 128MB. Shouldn't my 9600 256MB be fine if I upgrade to an AGP 8x board and a faster processor? Anyone have a setup like that? I'm still in my 30-day return window with Newegg, so any reply would be appreciated. Or should I give up on AGP and go with PCIe or something else? I'd like to keep the price in the $150 USD range.

coneypark said:
I live in the UK and receive my monitor within two days.

badlydrawn - I cant answer your questions but take a look at this forum as they have discussed a lot of the stuff you are asking about.

OcUK Forums - Dell 24"
You may want to skip the first few pages on it.
Hope it helps.
´
Thanks a lot.

who1zep said:
Jon, no can do on a Sapphire Radeon 9600, 256MB, AGP 4x on an Athlon 1.0GHz.

Edit: One more thing, am I supposed to see more than one frame every 3 seconds on that Coral Reef? :p Seriously, that's what I get. The site said that I should have a 9800 AGP 8x 128MB. Shouldn't my 9600 256MB be fine if I upgrade to an AGP 8x board and a faster processor? Anyone have a setup like that? I'm still in my 30-day return window with Newegg, so any reply would be appreciated. Or should I give up on AGP and go with PCIe or something else? I'd like to keep the price in the $150 USD range.

My guess would be that your CPU is struggling to run it. I'm shocked that HDTV playback will require a > 1ghz cpu though :p

HD WMV 1080i requires at least 3ghz cpu to run it with minimum frame loss. As for 1680x1050 option, yes I do have it (latest official forceware). Also note that running 1:1 at the resolution will produce a larger image than on 2005fpw (2405 has a larger dot-pitch).

question for u guys, when you have the usb hooked up to the 2405, does it create 4 removable disks in "my computer".....is that the card reader?

JonDo[H] said:
My guess would be that your CPU is struggling to run it. I'm shocked that HDTV playback will require a > 1ghz cpu though :p

My AMD XP oced to 2.2GHz struggles with those HD demoes. My 2.4P4 oced to 3.3GHz has no probs. Both running Radeon 9800s

TehQuick said:
HD WMV 1080i requires at least 3ghz cpu to run it with minimum frame loss. As for 1680x1050 option, yes I do have it (latest official forceware). Also note that running 1:1 at the resolution will produce a larger image than on 2005fpw (2405 has a larger dot-pitch).

Cheers, so that's two Nvidia users that can use that res and NO ATI.

hmmmmmm :confused:

bench261 said:
question for u guys, when you have the usb hooked up to the 2405, does it create 4 removable disks in "my computer".....is that the card reader?
Yup. That's the card reader.

JonDo[H] said:
Heh, but I don't mind a little interpolation at all! If anything, it acts like a form of free anti-aliasing imvho. I'd take high detail and scaling over lower detail and native any day of the week. I'll be running at aspect. By running the screen at 1680x1050, the screen will have less scaling to do than it has at 1280x768 (currently the next 16:10 option available to me below native). But anyway, what I like is besides the point. I just want to know how many 2405FPW owners have the option of running in 1680x1050 (on the desktop and/or in game).

Cheers videogamer323 - I may check out the Powerstrip tool (pretty useful for video settings and such).

You seem to be suggesting that having the monitor scale the resolution is like a free video card upgrade. I have a real hard time believing this, and in fact, have always read the opposite is true: Scaling on an LCD is bad for quality.

chrism said:
You seem to be suggesting that having the monitor scale the resolution is like a free video card upgrade. I have a real hard time believing this, and in fact, have always read the opposite is true: Scaling on an LCD is bad for quality.

I wouldn't quite call it that, but yeah it's my opinion that scaling on LCDs can look quite good :) Sure you lose some of the sharpness, but you also lose some of the jaggies (and I hate jaggies more than anything!). I apply the same logic to standard televisions: sometimes gaming can look better on a tv compared to a monitor as the blurriness helps to hide poor textures and aliasing.

Anyway, couldn't you answer the question since I've (kinda) answered yours? Do you have the option to run this screen at 1680x1050? (not that it seems you ever will! ;))

JonDo[H] said:
Cheers, so that's two Nvidia users that can use that res and NO ATI.
hmmmmmm :confused:
I think it will be down to the drivers or a tool that allows you to add a custom resolution.

Technically the card should be quite capable of the resolution you want, since all it really does it pixels at a certain speed. If it can do the 1920x1200, it should be able to do anything lower that you fancy - up to a certain extent.

For example sizes may be required to be a multiple of 16, 32 or some number of pixels and there may be some limits on speed of lines and whole screens too. Most likely it will not be possble to do (for example) 1x1 resolution with a refresh rate of 138MHz, even though it outputs the same number of pixels per second as the native resolution does at 60Hz :D

In any case, the big question will be: how to you get the card/drivers to do your resolution. NVidia has a nice tool/driver that allows this, but I don't know about ATi. Perhaps you can bug their technical support about it, if nobody here knows of such a tool?

(If you're a programmer you could potentially experiment with telling DirectX the resolution you want to see what happens, but most likely you will just get an error returned, assuming the driver doesn't like it)

megmond said:
(If you're a programmer you could potentially experiment with telling DirectX the resolution you want to see what happens, but most likely you will just get an error returned, assuming the driver doesn't like it)

I've noticed on the rage3d forums that they suggest editing one of the .inf files included with the ATI driver installation files to add in your own custom resolutions. Otherwise, Powerstrip apparently does the trick.

It's just a bit strange that 1680x1050 isn't in there in the first place. Guess it's just because it's an oddball res...

JonDo[H] said:
I wouldn't quite call it that, but yeah it's my opinion that scaling on LCDs can look quite good :) Sure you lose some of the sharpness, but you also lose some of the jaggies (and I hate jaggies more than anything!). I apply the same logic to standard televisions: sometimes gaming can look better on a tv compared to a monitor as the blurriness helps to hide poor textures and aliasing.

Anyway, couldn't you answer the question since I've (kinda) answered yours? Do you have the option to run this screen at 1680x1050? (not that it seems you ever will! ;))

I have an NVidia card, so I don't think I'll be much help to you.

My X800XTPE worked fine @ 1680 when I had the 2005FPW. I'll try and remember to see what it allows when I get home and can check it now that I have the 2405FPW hooked up.

Back