Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

I tested out my Xbox via component on this screen today. I left the official cable plugged in to the telly downstairs and used a 3rd party one. I'm hoping this is what caused my results to look so horrible, because the picture was pretty damn dark and there was interference onscreen for all to see at 480P (squiggly line type of effect across the middle of the screen). Colours looked bold but like I said the picture was dark: too dark! Soul Calibur II looked very nice at 720P though. But I thought Ninja Gaiden at 480P looked horrible. The PS2 component image was much cleaner and much more "steady" too!

I read elsewhere someone reporting similar findings. He also stated that the gamecube component image was beautiful and that the xbox one was drab in comparison. I've heard rumours that MS's component output is pretty abysmal. I might try the official cable next, depending on what results you guys got. Anybody else tried out the Xbox via component yet??

im using my screen via component. both xbox and ps2 ---> connected to switch box ------->and that to the screen. so far ive only used the xbox with xmbc on the screen and everything is clear. only problem i have had is it wont up scal my pal region 2 copy to 1080i or 720p

Yaka, I tried out Soul Calibur II at 720P and that was very clear. If you could try out an Xbox game that only supports 480P (just about EVERY xbox game, bar Soul Calibur, Tony Hawks and a couple of others) and let me know how it looks, I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers :D

It might depend on which model xbox you have too, i remember on later xbox's the replaced teh connextant video chip with another cheaper video chip, so possibly newer models xbox's are the ones pumping out the inferior component image, i have a first gen xbox with a connextant video chip so when i receive my 2405 i'll report my findings.

JonDo[H] said:
Yaka, I tried out Soul Calibur II at 720P and that was very clear. If you could try out an Xbox game that only supports 480P (just about EVERY xbox game, bar Soul Calibur, Tony Hawks and a couple of others) and let me know how it looks, I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers :D

ok here they are both ninja giaden and outrun 2 look more crystal clear (with the odd jaggie here and there) but chronicles of riddick is the worst off game out of the 3 its jaggie heaven

ninja%20gaiden.JPG

outrun2.JPG

riddick.JPG

mine is a PAL xbox thats been modded to ntsc usa region for Hidef modes

What brightness/contrast settings did you end up using? Also - I take it you're using the official MS cable with your modded Xbox here - did you notice any screen distortion or squiggles or wavy patterns at all? It may just be the 3rd party cable that I used, but I'd be interested to find out...

Project Gotham Racing 2 should be a good one to try out: nice AA in that game :)

Well I have had my 2405FPW for a day now and the thing is perfect.

Was really worried as the box it came in was rather badly busted up so was expecting damaged frame never mind the panel.

Got it out the box and no marks on the panel, plugged the the thing in and WOW!!
Perfect picture out of the box, no washed out colours, no dead or stuck pixels, no buzzing and no sagging as some have reported.

If you are thinking of getting this screen then I can not recommend it highly enough.

Have played a few games on it-WOW, UT2004, Far Cry and Half Life 2. All apart from HF 2 support the monitors resolution and all run perfect on high detail through my Connect 3D 850XT on high detail.

The only thing I adjusted has to lower the brightness to 25.
One very, very happy owner

JonDo[H] said:
What brightness/contrast settings did you end up using? Also - I take it you're using the official MS cable with your modded Xbox here - did you notice any screen distortion or squiggles or wavy patterns at all? It may just be the 3rd party cable that I used, but I'd be interested to find out...

Project Gotham Racing 2 should be a good one to try out: nice AA in that game :)

yep i am using the offical HD pack. and no i didnt not notice any squiqqles or artifacts. brightness/contrast wise ive not thouched the settings yet. as for pgr2 there no room for that or any other racing game in my life atm, not when i can play gran tourismo 4 in 1080i goodnees mode :D

i can play gran tourismo 4 in 1080i goodnees mode :D[/QUOTE said:
i'm sure this is a noobie question - but i'm not a gamer so don't know these things...

Why can the xbox pump out 1080i when even the 850xtATI struggles at that resolution? Apart from it being a dedicated games machine - i'm assuming it's not putting in half the detail /effects of the PC version?

Glad to hear component is working, i will be linking it upto some tv/cable gear.

jaggies = lack of or little AA in games.

there very few games on xbox that can 1080i modes and only one on ps2 ,gt4

you can run games on higher resulution than 1080i on a pc. heck you can even play 1080i streams with little problem on pcs.

I seem to see light areas when I view a pure black screen. Is this what "backlight" is? Can anyone explain it? Is it common for this monitor?

Thanks

Yes you're probably seeing some variation in backlight uniformity. Though this monitor is better than the 2005FPW in that regard - it's still not perfect IMO.

Im curious to know if anyone has hooked up a dvd player over component and tried calibrating the picture using a test disc like DigitalVideoEssentials or Sound and Vision?

Riptide_NVN said:
Yes you're probably seeing some variation in backlight uniformity. Though this monitor is better than the 2005FPW in that regard - it's still not perfect IMO.

My old 1800fp is starting to go a bit dim after two years. Dell say they will replace it.. do you think i'll get another 1800fp or a newer model? I'm guessing Dell doesn't still have this old LCD in stock? or do they keep some hanging arround for old warrenty claims???

You're guess is as good as mine. You'll get a referb either way, just might be a newer 1800 series display (1804?).

MicroUK said:
My old 1800fp is starting to go a bit dim after two years. Dell say they will replace it.. do you think i'll get another 1800fp or a newer model? I'm guessing Dell doesn't still have this old LCD in stock?
I doubt they'll give you a 2405FPW though :D

MicroUK said:
My old 1800fp is starting to go a bit dim after two years. Dell say they will replace it.. do you think i'll get another 1800fp or a newer model? I'm guessing Dell doesn't still have this old LCD in stock? or do they keep some hanging arround for old warrenty claims???

I don't think they make an 18" lcd anymore (at least not here in the states), they'd most likely send you a 19".

Hello all: Simple question. How do I make my progressive scan dvd playback look EXCELLENT with the 2405fpw? I have it hooked up via component cables, but when the picture is playing utilizing the entire screen, there is alot of blurriness/artifacts. Whe I reduce it to PIP, the image is smaller, and crystal clear. Shouldn't it look that way full screen? I have tried adjusting the scaling using fill and aspect and it is the same results. I know this thing has beautiful playback using dvd, but how do I get it?? I have tried it with my DVD drive on my PC and also a stand alone progressive scan and the results were similar. Any help is appreciated.

think peeps would be better off using a scaler with there dvd players. 480p in fill mode is not going to look that nice

BigBalla said:
Hello all: Simple question. How do I make my progressive scan dvd playback look EXCELLENT with the 2405fpw? I have it hooked up via component cables, but when the picture is playing utilizing the entire screen, there is alot of blurriness/artifacts. Whe I reduce it to PIP, the image is smaller, and crystal clear. Shouldn't it look that way full screen? I have tried adjusting the scaling using fill and aspect and it is the same results. I know this thing has beautiful playback using dvd, but how do I get it?? I have tried it with my DVD drive on my PC and also a stand alone progressive scan and the results were similar. Any help is appreciated.

learn how to use zoom player and ffdshow, you can output a custom resolution, mess with graininess and sharpen the picture. looks frigging awesome

BigBalla said:
To use someone else's post here:

A DVD's resolution is much much smaller than the capabilities of your LCD monitor. So when you go full screen with a DVD from it's original output and scale it to fill your LCD screen at 1900 X 1200 you will see the artifects of each pixel so to speak being scaled up with the picture.

To make a long story short, full screen normal DVD's on this LCD won't ever look 'pristine'.

So IOW the 2405FPW has such a sharp high resolution picture quality that it exposes the flaws in a DVD video. Right?

IOW, it's to good for the DVD format. We need higher resolution movies. :)

you guys are lucky having HDTV readily avalable in america. i just fed a 1080i gladiator scene to it scen where he fights amongst lions looked brilliant.

To anyone who was curious, this panel (the panel itself, not including stand) is almost EXACTLY the same height as the Dell 2001FP, so if you are going for the setup I am, with the 2405FPW with a 2001FP on each side with a single ErgoTron Mount, it will be uniform all the way across in size as well as resolution.

JonDo[H] said:
Did anybody check out that Coral Reef one at 1080P yet? Incredible! :D
Holy crap that looks excellent! I've never had a HDTV. Our two TV's are old pieces of junk and I've never owned a HQ set. I can't believe how beautiful those 1080P downloadables looked on this 2405FPW. What a great way to show off the screen. I think I'm gonna have to buy a couple of those documentaries.

the coral reef clip was o....k, i was expecting something out of this world from how u guys described it

bench261 said:
the coral reef clip was o....k, i was expecting something out of this world from how u guys described it
I'd never seen 1080p displayed on my panel before. Only DVDs which aren't near that resolution/clarity. So it was rather stunning to me.

Great idea for testing.

My cable box outputs 1080i and I swear I can see the interlacing in very fast moving scenes. This will help me find out if it's the monitor or just the signal.

Downloading right now.

I did not see any tearning in that video in 1080p but none of it was as fast or as britght as an NBA game in HD. But it is encouraging.

...hmmm, now I wonder if I can unconvert from 1080i to 1080p.... will google

My replacement panel is FINALLY arriving today. I'll set it up tonight. Hopefully no more buzzing! [More testing of the buzzing revealed that at different contrast and brightness levels, the loudness and frequency of the buzzing change]

Meanwhile, my first panel is still free from dead pixels, but I have noticed slight backlight bleeding from the upper left corner. I can't remember if other people mentioned some backlight bleeding on their 2405FPWs, but this is a pretty small amount.

Due to the wide screen, it's really difficult to tell if other areas have backlight bleeding or if it's just the angle at which you're viewing the screen. However, the upper left is definitely a culprit.

CalKenneth said:
My replacement panel is FINALLY arriving today. I'll set it up tonight. Hopefully no more buzzing! [More testing of the buzzing revealed that at different contrast and brightness levels, the loudness and frequency of the buzzing change]

Meanwhile, my first panel is still free from dead pixels, but I have noticed slight backlight bleeding from the upper left corner. I can't remember if other people mentioned some backlight bleeding on their 2405FPWs, but this is a pretty small amount.

Due to the wide screen, it's really difficult to tell if other areas have backlight bleeding or if it's just the angle at which you're viewing the screen. However, the upper left is definitely a culprit.

Let us know how your new screen turns out :)

Back