Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

eggrock is correct IMO. Most of us are picky. :)

I know I am pretty picky, but some are even moreso than I am. I can handle a tiny amount of backlight bleed and/or a couple dead pixels as long as the dead pixels aren't in the center of the display or showing up against white. W/regard to FPS performance, anything under 30fps except for the briefest of moments is where I draw the line.

There are others that will return a display for a single dead pixel, no matter what the spot. And those that demand 60+ fps at all times during gameplay. While I consider myself picky... just not quite as picky as some. :p

well, the thing is that some people are obviously not realizing is how dirt cheap this 24" LCD is when compared to other LCDs in the same size range.

I dare anyone to find a better LCD than the 2405FP that looks and performs BETTER than the 2405FP does within a $600 pricetag difference. go ahead, try to find one...

but then again, some people just have to and will always complain about something.

Dell couldve made the 2405FP's MSRP $19.95 and I gurantee you that there would still be some people who would be complaining about this awesome LCD at an incredible price.

oh well, its their loss. you dont like the 2405FP? okay, then dont buy one.

Mysticcal said:
does using a stand other then Dells void your warranty?

even if it did, how would Dell know that you used another stand? :confused:

Can someone tell me how Dell's pricematching works? I've heard that if a coupon comes out or something i could call and get my price knocked down.. but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

My friends who like big screens, I can't say enough about this bad boy. I'm using it via DVI now and it's simply the most crisp, clear, huge image I've seen to date.

Here are some facts on my trials and tribulations:

> I started off with a 2005FPW. I went through three of them because they all had one issue or another: dead pixels, uneven lighting...
> When I heard about this screen, I got a credit on the 2005 and decided to wait for this. I'm a religious man, so I prayed that I could finally be happy and stop the RMA dance I was doing with Dell.
> I got my 2405FPW in a big box, and said to myself, "holy sh*t, this is a big screen! Let's just hope it works..." I hooked it up to my VGA Belkin KVM and let me tell you, the image was just gorgeous. No blur, great blacks, no ghosting (disclosure: I am not a gamer, but ghosting can be on a still image where text appears to 'bleed' a tad). The image was NOTICABLY better than on the smaller 2005, dead pixels and lighting issues aside.
> With bated breath, I opened up PowerPoint so I could drive a pure white, then a pure black screen to check for dead pixels (I'm sure there are more technical ways to check, but this has revealed them in the past for me). Let me tell you - THERE WASN'T A SINGLE DEAD PIXEL IN THIS ENORMOUS PANEL!!!! WHEW-finally, a KEEPER!!!

Comments, findings to date:
> I have since connected the 2405 to my main machine via DVI and let me tell you it is just BREATHTAKING! I've got my desktop image as a sunset picture I took down in Key West and I feel like I'm back on that pier! The overall sharpness is simply overwhelming.
> I've read someone's comment, somewhere that this would take the place of two 19" screens. I don't think so, but it would probably be as good as two 17"s. Doesn't matter - it just looks great sitting on my desk!!
> PBP/PIP functionality: I was hoping to use this feature with DVI and D-SUB(VGA) connections. It appears that the monitor was designed to do either DVI *OR* D-SUB *AND* a video source: Component, Composite or S-VIDEO. I'm slightly disappointed, but I'm quickly getting over it. I do have a case opened with Dell and they are researching the issue, but I think it's by design.
> The USB hub is definitely a nice to have and makes connecting temporary devices like a thumb-drive or d-cam easier.
> I haven't used the card reader yet, but I just think it would be the coolest thing to get a 2GB CF Microdrive, plug it in and have 2GB of storage in my freakin MONITOR!!! :D :D

Anyway, that's about all I have for now. Any other findings will be posted.

All the best,
J

Great observations! I have noticed the monitor needs a little time to warm up. We watched "The Incredibles" on it last night and it gave me a chance to see if my color settings paid off.

Also could anyone please post some pics or comments on Comcast HD via component? I'm debating it right now since they are offering it for only like $6.95 a month.

Mark me down as just another 2405 happy customer!

One thing I've noticed more with the 2405FPW is anti-aliased fonts showing the fonts attempt to get rid of the aliasing. Take a look at http://www.anandtech.com and you can see what I mean with his aqua-colored letters.

Is there a setting to make this look better in Windows? Does it have anything to do with the LCD driver? My 2005FPW doesn't appear to have this problem, but I'm using it with an analog connection (I'm using DVI with the 2405FPW).

my desk and with my old and new screens, barley enough room to squeez my speakers on

newdeskglass.jpg

this one is a shot of lost from a hdtv demo trailer i downloded.
hurly%20720p.jpg

my desktop very happty with the screens.
desktop.jpg

chrism said:
One thing I've noticed more with the 2405FPW is anti-aliased fonts showing the fonts attempt to get rid of the aliasing. Take a look at http://www.anandtech.com and you can see what I mean with his aqua-colored letters.

Is there a setting to make this look better in Windows? Does it have anything to do with the LCD driver? My 2005FPW doesn't appear to have this problem, but I'm using it with an analog connection (I'm using DVI with the 2405FPW).

I don't bother using Windows XP's antialiasing features (ClearType, etc) because the monitor looks sharp enough as it is with DVI.

JonDo[H] said:
I only have the DVI and VGA connector in at the moment. When running the PS2 last night I had a component cable attached too. Still very strange that during component I couldn't hear the buzz whatsoever. Especially as I've got one of the new pstwo's that are next to silent. I'm wondering if the resonation of its dvd reader was on the same wavelength as the buzz? I'd have to get REALLY anal about it to find out about that ;)
Both waves won't cancel each other out. They would have to be at the exact same wavelength and exactly opposite to each other when they reach your ears. See for yourself: Move the PS2 to totally different positions relative to your monitor and you. If it really cancelled each other out, you would hear the noise appearing and disappearing.

bandit390 said:
Where can I buy lcd wipes?

Tried walmart, but saw nothing.

Stop at a store like Lenscafters and buy a box of cleaner wipes. If you wear glasses they serve a duel purpose.

CalKenneth said:
I don't bother using Windows XP's antialiasing features (ClearType, etc) because the monitor looks sharp enough as it is with DVI.

Where do you set that in Windows XP?

chrism said:
I want to disable the anti-aliasing that's built-into Windows XP. I don't have PowerToy installed.
Anti-aliasing built in to Windows XP? That's news to me...

To use anti-aliasing (aka font smoothing) you need to install ClearType. By default anti-aliasing just isn't there - which is why they made ClearType to begin with.

to turn off cleartype:

right click on empty spot on desktop / properties / appearance / effects / uncheck "use this method to smooth edges of screen font".

Riptide_NVN said:
Anti-aliasing built in to Windows XP? That's news to me...

To use anti-aliasing (aka font smoothing) you need to install ClearType. By default anti-aliasing just isn't there - which is why they made ClearType to begin with.

Yeah. ClearType is pre-installed in Windows XP. Go to Display Properties -> Appearance -> Effects -> and choose your poison here: "Use the following method to smooth edge of screen fonts"

I have mine set to Standard/Disabled and it looks crisp! ClearType actually makes it look worse.

PowerLlama said:
Can someone tell me how Dell's pricematching works? I've heard that if a coupon comes out or something i could call and get my price knocked down.. but I'm not sure if that's true or not.
Anyone??

I feel like such a bastard noob quoting my own post...

LxT said:
to turn off cleartype:

right click on empty spot on desktop / properties / appearance / effects / uncheck "use this method to smooth edges of screen font".

Thanks! That did it.

CalKenneth said:
Yeah. ClearType is pre-installed in Windows XP. Go to Display Properties -> Appearance -> Effects -> and choose your poison here: "Use the following method to smooth edge of screen fonts"
You're right, I had forgotten that Standard was built in. That said it's not enabled by default AFAIK. ClearType doesn't come w/XP though.
I have mine set to Standard/Disabled and it looks crisp! ClearType actually makes it look worse.
I like the look of smoothed fonts. :)

Riptide_NVN said:
You're right, I had forgotten that Standard was built in. That said it's not enabled by default AFAIK. ClearType doesn't come w/XP though.
I like the look of smoothed fonts. :)

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure ClearType _does_ come with XP - I've never had to install it on any of the machines we have. Perhaps it's a XP Professional vs. XP Home thing? (I don't know what version you're running).

Edit: Searched some more on Google and all sites seem to indicate that ClearType comes preinstalled with XP. However, some pages indicate that perhaps the PowerToys ClearType tool helps you tune it? I don't know... I don't think PowerToys actually "installs" any technology as much as it helps you activate included features in XP.

you are both right. clear type general functionality comes with windows XP. but you can also download the extended utility microsoft has to tweak it a bit more.

Yaka said:
might sound daft this but how do you raise the stand?

Just pull up on it. If it's all the way down, you have to push the button at the base of the stand first.

I use powerdvd and the picture was very bad in full screen so if I connect a real dvd player, the picture was better or not ?

Make sure you set powerdvd to "original" and not "vivid". Vivid really turns the brightness up high and makes it look washed out as hell.

Riptide_NVN said:
Make sure you set powerdvd to "original" and not "vivid". Vivid really turns the brightness up high and makes it look washed out as hell.

I try this but the picture was bad ...according to me.

Back