Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

BigBalla said:
I got the s-video working, but the only clear picture is on 1:1(very small picture). If I use fill or aspect, it is very blurry. Help anyone? :D

I dont have mine yet, but s-video is only 480 lines of resolution, which is why you are getting a good picture in a small area, but when u extend that to 1920x1600 it become blurry. Component inputs with a 480p or higher signal should look much better.

RobertT said:
Well thats the problem, I don't have a reciever. Was hoping to connect to my computer.

Get a RCA to ministero (1/8th inch) connection, then you can plug it into your sound card on your computer.

I just ordered the monitor with using the $860.00 deal and I have a question.

I am running a BFG 6800 GT OC and wondering if I will be able to run the monitor at 1920x1200 through DVI without any modifications to timings? I ask this because the BFG website says with all of their products that the max DVI resolution is 1600x1200.

Any experinece cranking this monitor up beyond 1600x1200 via DVI?

Well, I just got my 2405FPW today. It's nice, but I have three issues with it:

1) When I swivel the panel, it make a loud noise like it's caught on something.
2) It sags a little bit to the right
3) You can't set the scaling in DVI mode. I want it set to Aspect, but its defaulted and stuck on Fill.

I also own a 2005FPW and it doesn't have any of these problems.

Anyone else having these problems? :(

chrism said:
Well, I just got my 2405FPW today. It's nice, but I have three issues with it:

1) When I swivel the panel, it make a loud noise like it's caught on something.
2) It sags a little bit to the right
3) You can't set the scaling in DVI mode. I want it set to Aspect, but its defaulted and stuck on Fill.

I also own a 2005FPW and it doesn't have any of these problems.

Anyone else having these problems? :(

YES me as well...ok i figured out the sagging...it may be that ur desk is slightly slanted...u can test it by seeing which direction a can would roll..i used an axe bottle.....the 2405 is so heavy it will act like a scale if the desk is slanted

try to test it out on a pure flat surface, im hoping tht is the cause

Can doesn't roll. My desk is pretty level I think.

Of course, on the positive side, I have no dead pixels.

try breaking it in, i pushed down on it for quite awhile every now and then...its getting better...my g/f kept tellin me it was slanted in to opposite direction i thought it did....then i did the can thing and it supproted her view...so i thought maybe its in my head cuz i always saw it the other way....btw i used sumthin small to roll on top of the panel itself like a bottlecap

EDIT

also, maybe one spring or shock is stronger than the other.....i investigated the panel and there r 4 screws...i tried loosening it and making it even..it didnt work, maybe if i just take the swivel apart or screw the metal plate higher on one side...if u look at it ull see what im talkin about

who knows, i actually am drinking but i doubt it has anything to do with it.....if u push the slanted side up and hold it for awhile it'll stay there unless u move it again or play witht he buttons, maybe it is just plain heavier and the swivel is too thin...it probably has more components on the right side

MethylONE said:
I did, the NEC FP1370, 22" flat tube. I can tell you I would've been very disappointed in the 2005, but I'm very happy with the 2405.

The key is the picture height. The 2405 is less than an inch bigger in height but is more than 4 inches wider. Because I look at so much widescreen content this screen "feels" twice as large.

HDTV from my cable box it literally jaw dropping.

Great thanks MethylONE. Many of my movies are ws and this is the reason I was thinking about it.

Also this is for anyone. I like to game at 1600x1024 or 1600x1200 which I am very use to. Will either of those resolutions fit the screen completely or will I have to live with black bars on the sides? Also can I hook up my consoles directly? (sorry but rather ask here than make a new thread.)

something is bothering me about this screen - I can't say exactly what it is, it's just not as easy on my eyes as the VP171B

it's a lot brighter, but I've turned that down, and I think the contrast is higher, but it's locked at 50 for everyone, right?

it's just kinda hard to focus, not sure what to do or try :confused:

its hard to perfect the colors on this screen...as for gaming, i didnt think it was possible but it is too big....its like gaming in front of ur tv..i was kinda getting dizzy

Does anyone here have the Dell 2405 LCD and the Sony GDM FW900 crt monitor. I'm wondering how they compare?

EnderW said:
something is bothering me about this screen - I can't say exactly what it is, it's just not as easy on my eyes as the VP171B

it's a lot brighter, but I've turned that down, and I think the contrast is higher, but it's locked at 50 for everyone, right?

it's just kinda hard to focus, not sure what to do or try :confused:

I thought it was my eyes maybe it is but I am having hard time focusing sometimes too. With that said I still love this monitor!

Ordered 03/07, Estimated Delivery to Los Angeles 03/22-03/24. :(

Some 03/04 CA people shipped today, so I am hoping mine ships tomorrow.
If not, maybe Dell would let me fly to their closest in-stock warehouse to
pick up my precious?

Every review and every screenshot makes these Dell "just in time" delays
feel worse. :rolleyes:

rephlux said:
Ordered 03/07, Estimated Delivery to Los Angeles 03/22-03/24. :(

Some 03/04 CA people shipped today, so I am hoping mine ships tomorrow.
If not, maybe Dell would let me fly to their closest in-stock warehouse to
pick up my precious?

Every review and every screenshot makes these Dell "just in time" delays
feel worse. :rolleyes:
werd, i really hope tommorow is the day but that still means we will have to wait the weekend but the sooner the better. Ill be pissed if it doesnt ship by friday

NauticaX said:
I thought it was my eyes maybe it is but I am having hard time focusing sometimes too. With that said I still love this monitor!

Could simply moving the display further away make a difference? Even with my 2005 trial I felt more comfortable with it further away than my current 19" CRT, was expecting to put the even-larger-yet 2405 a ways back when I get it (you guys have me a bit worried about this now, because I have been hoping that this thing will be much easier on my eyes than my current display...).

--Adam

adama0 said:
Could simply moving the display further away make a difference? Even with my 2005 trial I felt more comfortable with it further away than my current 19" CRT, was expecting to put the even-larger-yet 2405 a ways back when I get it (you guys have me a bit worried about this now, because I have been hoping that this thing will be much easier on my eyes than my current display...).

--Adam
Ah, don't you worry, they just need to get used to it (bunch of wussies j/k). I currently have a 22" crt lacie and when i just got it i was overwhelmed by the size but after a day or 2 you'll be used to it and want something bigger :)

A question for all the owners of this monitor : how is the quality of the monitor in films (especially in viewing angles and dark scenes) compared to a 17" AU Optronics 16ms panel?

Those of you that this is your first big monitor just give it time. You have to adjust a little, especially if you guys upgraded from a 15-17" monitor.

BTW it is a sweet monitor :) Oh well i'm "stuck" with the 2005fpw.

Is it just my monitor, or can you not set the Scaling with a DVI connection? This is a pretty severe shortcoming if this is by design, because having all my 4:3 games distorted to 16:10 is not very good. I'm hoping this is a problem with just my LCD. My 2005FPW lets me set the scaling with a DVI connection.

As far as the sagging I mentioned in a previous post, it looks like it sags about 1/8" (4mm) to the right. This doesn't sound like a lot, but it's noticeable. The funny thing is, my 2005FPW appears to sag about 1/8" to the left. I never noticed it on that LCD. Something about the 2405FPW makes this sagging stick out. BTW, the easiest way to measure this is simply with a ruler. Just measure the distance between the table and the lower left corner of the LCD and the distance between the table and the lower right corner of the LCD and compare the two measurements.

technoarch said:
I just ordered the monitor with using the $860.00 deal and I have a question.

I am running a BFG 6800 GT OC and wondering if I will be able to run the monitor at 1920x1200 through DVI without any modifications to timings? I ask this because the BFG website says with all of their products that the max DVI resolution is 1600x1200.

Any experinece cranking this monitor up beyond 1600x1200 via DVI?

Yup. I have the same card and was able to select 1920X1200 over DVI without making any modifications. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

chrism said:
Is it just my monitor, or can you not set the Scaling with a DVI connection? This is a pretty severe shortcoming if this is by design, because having all my 4:3 games distorted to 16:10 is not very good. I'm hoping this is a problem with just my LCD. My 2005FPW lets me set the scaling with a DVI connection.

Don't ask me why, but you can't set the scaling when in 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 mode. Pick a lower resolution (I did it with 1600x1200) and you will be able to set the scaling.

pooter03 said:
Yup. I have the same card and was able to select 1920X1200 over DVI without making any modifications. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

how is the image quality at 1920x1200? Any noticable flicker/ or eye strain?

chrism said:

As far as the sagging I mentioned in a previous post, it looks like it sags about 1/8" (4mm) to the right. This doesn't sound like a lot, but it's noticeable. The funny thing is, my 2005FPW appears to sag about 1/8" to the left. I never noticed it on that LCD. Something about the 2405FPW makes this sagging stick out. BTW, the easiest way to measure this is simply with a ruler. Just measure the distance between the table and the lower left corner of the LCD and the distance between the table and the lower right corner of the LCD and compare the two measurements.

i'm 100% sure of the cause now......the 2405 rotates in the direction it sags, because of the extreme weight it can move down lightly...if you look in the swivel there is a nut. what i did was force the swivel to turn opposite direction as fas as i could and tighten it. it will sag still but to fix it i just put pressure to even it out and it stays that way.

i think i also saw a pic here where someones monitor appeared to be sagging as well, so maybe it is a normal occurance. another thing is that they put all the card reader and usb on the left side....maybe to compensate the weight of the right? try lifting it without the swvel and see which is heavier

fusionrs said:
Those of you that this is your first big monitor just give it time. You have to adjust a little, especially if you guys upgraded from a 15-17" monitor.

BTW it is a sweet monitor :) Oh well i'm "stuck" with the 2005fpw.

nuthin wrong withe the 2005fpw..i own that too and i would say it is the perfect size. if u have a fast card and just edit ur games to widescreen it is perfect

hugenstein said:
Don't ask me why, but you can't set the scaling when in 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 mode. Pick a lower resolution (I did it with 1600x1200) and you will be able to set the scaling.

So you're saying all I have to do is temporarily lower the resolution, set the scaling, then bump the resolution back up to 1920x1200 and it will remember my scaling setting?

I wonder if this is a bug in the monitor's software.

bench261 said:
i'm 100% sure of the cause now......the 2405 rotates in the direction it sags, because of the extreme weight it can move down lightly...if you look in the swivel there is a nut. what i did was force the swivel to turn opposite direction as fas as i could and tighten it. it will sag still but to fix it i just put pressure to even it out and it stays that way.

i think i also saw a pic here where someones monitor appeared to be sagging as well, so maybe it is a normal occurance. another thing is that they put all the card reader and usb on the left side....maybe to compensate the weight of the right? try lifting it without the swvel and see which is heavier

Does yours make any noise when you try to turn the monitor up to portrait? Mine makes a noise like I should be pushing a release button first. Is there a release button for this (there was none on the 2005FPW, you just turned it)?

Well my 2405 left Toronto yesterday night and its en route for Delivery today in Montreal!!

Cant wait!!

Mcklain

chrism said:
Does yours make any noise when you try to turn the monitor up to portrait? Mine makes a noise like I should be pushing a release button first. Is there a release button for this (there was none on the 2005FPW, you just turned it)?

im not really sure what u r talking about, but if u meant creaking then it is normal like any piece of machine with flimsy plastic...is the plastic sound what u r talking about?

chrism said:
So you're saying all I have to do is temporarily lower the resolution, set the scaling, then bump the resolution back up to 1920x1200 and it will remember my scaling setting?

I wonder if this is a bug in the monitor's software.

i dunno if you can scale desktop, i know in games you can...i dont remember how it was for the 2005fpw..i think u can scale it while windows is starting but not in desktop..i could be wrong

My badmofo has arraived. i am at work right now. and i am tring to come up with a an excuse to go home early. but i have a meeting at 2 and a date at 7. DAMMM, wish i could flake on both.

nemssn4cer said:
My badmofo has arraived. i am at work right now. and i am tring to come up with a an excuse to go home early. but i have a meeting at 2 and a date at 7. DAMMM, wish i could flake on both.

if u had a 2005fpw before the novelty will wear off fast, but when u 1st see the size of the panel u will be in awe

bench261 said:
im not really sure what u r talking about, but if u meant creaking then it is normal like any piece of machine with flimsy plastic...is the plastic sound what u r talking about?

Well, the 2005FPW makes almost no noise at all. The 2405FPW makes a very noticeable noise, which made me think something was wrong.

Interesting. My package is shipping from Patrick, Nevada with GROUND service (Andy w/ Wipro told me it would be 2-day air).

I'll go get mine from the purolator depot tonight after work.

It came today but I was not home (got to work to pay it :) )

Well hope il be happy with it.

chrism said:
Well, the 2005FPW makes almost no noise at all. The 2405FPW makes a very noticeable noise, which made me think something was wrong.

i think its because the flimsy plastic is holding and moving alot of weight...the bezel or the frame is not that much thicker than the 2005fpw, but it is certainly holding alot more

regarding the tilt look in the unnoficial pics thread..i think the last pic is tilted

bench261 said:
i think its because the flimsy plastic is holding and moving alot of weight...the bezel or the frame is not that much thicker than the 2005fpw, but it is certainly holding alot more

regarding the tilt look in the unnoficial pics thread..i think the last pic is tilted

Do you have a link for that? I couldn't find it.

chrism said:

I can hear LCD noise as well. It's very quiet though, it's a very low humming noise which occurs when ur LCD is on. Usually it'll drown in the normal background noise - such as from your desktop but if you hook it up to a silent comp like a laptop or something, it becomes very much noticeable.

TehQuick said:
I can hear LCD noise as well. It's very quiet though, it's a very low humming noise which occurs when ur LCD is on. Usually it'll drown in the normal background noise - such as from your desktop but if you hook it up to a silent comp like a laptop or something, it becomes very much noticeable.

I was referring to a creaking/cracking noise when I turned the LCD up for easier access to the inputs. I haven't noticed any ambient noise coming from the LCD.

Back