Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

I definitely don't intend to leave mine on 24/7 indefinitely. I just wanted to burn it in so to speak the first few days I have it. I'll be powering it down tonight or tomorrow.

Regarding my dead pixels with the first display, one was apparent out of the box but the gray pixel on white didn't show up until I'd had it for about a day. I know it wasn't there at first, I would've noticed it and I did look it over relatively carefully.

I have been using mine pretty heavily since Friday when it arrived and no dead pixels have shown up on my 2405 yet either.

Riptide_NVN said:
I definitely don't intend to leave mine on 24/7 indefinitely. I just wanted to burn it in so to speak the first few days I have it. I'll be powering it down tonight or tomorrow.

Regarding my dead pixels with the first display, one was apparent out of the box but the gray pixel on white didn't show up until I'd had it for about a day. I know it wasn't there at first, I would've noticed it and I did look it over relatively carefully.

Is there any reason to completely power it down? Doesn't it barely use any power in standby? Mine is cold in standby and the screen takes a while to warm up (it's dark to start off) when it comes out of standby.

chrism said:
Is there any reason to completely power it down? Doesn't it barely use any power in standby? Mine is cold in standby and the screen takes a while to warm up (it's dark to start off) when it comes out of standby.

I never power mines down. I just leave it and let it go to standby. Hopefully this won't cause a problem. Mines also takes a little while to warm up. At first I was like dang I think I turned brightness way too low but after a little bit it got back to normal

Well I do both, I usually leave it to go to stand by but if I know I won't use it for a while I turn it off right away instead of waiting 10 min for the standby.

NauticaX said:
I never power mines down. I just leave it and let it go to standby. Hopefully this won't cause a problem. Mines also takes a little while to warm up. At first I was like dang I think I turned brightness way too low but after a little bit it got back to normal
This seems odd. Mine instantly comes on and seems to be at full brightness. Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention though. I will check it out when I get home tonight.

sgt said:
This seems odd. Mine instantly comes on and seems to be at full brightness. Maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention though. I will check it out when I get home tonight.

Is yours warm while in Standby mode? If it is, it's probably not in Standby mode.

I've never actually let it go into standby mode. I've just been powering it off and on.

chrism said:
I don't like enabling any power management features on my PC so I simply press the power button to shut it off when I go to sleep. I power it up when I get home from work so it's usually up and running only about 4-5 hours a day.

I received mine today and havent found any dead pixels YET. I need to figure out these color settings because it doesnt look near as good as the 2005. Also, mine is not bright at all like I was expecting with the default settings.

Give the settings I posted back a bit in this thread a try. Made things look pretty good to me. You'll need to make a gamma adjustment w/your video driver as well when you do this.

On the Dell UK, NL site and maybe a few other European Dell sites, you can now order two of these, and get the second for half price!

Nice of them to think of us Europeans too :)

It should work by just dumping 2 LCDs in your shopping basket. Interesting detail: The coupon on the UK site actually says the second one is free, but it will calculate a 50% discount for the second one only. Perhaps English people could call and argue they should get the second one really for free... :D

OrionNT said:
I received mine today and havent found any dead pixels YET. I need to figure out these color settings because it doesnt look near as good as the 2005. Also, mine is not bright at all like I was expecting with the default settings.
Really? Mine seemed bright as hell, had to immediatly lower the brightness. I wasn't moving from a 2005 though.

Yeah I had the same problem is that crapy default srgb setting switched mine on custom and is very bright.

OrionNT said:

I didn't find my 2405FPW very bright either. I too have a 2005FPW which I feel is brighter with factory settings. This may have to do with how bright the room you use it in is. My room is relatively bright.

There must be some different quality panels floating around. Mine came bright as hell and it was only set to 50. I can't imagine setting it to 100 brightness. I had to turn the brightness down on my to like 40. I don't own a 2005fpw to compare but then again mine is brighter then my eyes can even handle.

I must be one of the lucky ones. My colors needed very little adjustment out of the box. Lcd had no sag problem and only one dead pixel which I can't see unless i stick my nose up to the screen.

Well it all depends on what u had before. Mine looked relly bad out of the box at 50% brightness and in srgb color mode when I switched to custom color it became very nice and bright. For somebody with a crt or an older lcd it should look very bright out of the box for somebody with a new lcd like the 2005fpw it would look dim out of the box but once tweaked is brighter than the 2005fpw.

atlwriter said:
No, because it's a defect.

If it's within the 21 days, does a Dell return *need* to have a defect to not pay a 15% restocking fee? I'm concerned now because when the guy asked me, so why then am I returning the 2005, I told him I wanted to the greater vertical space on the 2405. The 2005 did have a defect -- the backlight bleeding like crazy -- which I also mentioned, but it didn't occur to me when he asked me for an "official" reason that it mattered why; I just thought within 21 days, full refund for any reason. (He of course never said anything about a restocking fee, either.)

I hate talking to Dell support, hope I don't have to call them to bitch about my return reason and get the 15% back -- after all, I did return it in favor of a more expensive monitor.

--Adam

Doh, I found a stuck pixel. Its near the lower left hand corner, and stuck as red. Not noticable unless I look for it though.

bandit390 said:
Just got mine. Now whats up with people talking about, "let it warm up" ??

It takes mine a good 20 seconds before it's up to full brightness.

Is there a problem leaving this display on 24/7 and using a screen saver when not in use?

I've had a CRT on for 5 years and I never turned it off. I just used the XP Plus! aquarium screensaver, just like I'm doing now. Not only did I not turn it off, I have no standby mode enabled on my system or display. I like to run tasks at night for maintenance, etc.

After reading several threads about stanby vs simply powering off, I'm wondering if it will harm (or shorten the life span) of the display by leaving it in "always on" mode.

Dim-Ize

Well, UPS picked up my returned 2405 and I hooked up the old 2001FP. Consider this a warning...if you're not certain you want to get that big, beautiful 2405, then DO NOT get it until you're positive you're ready for it. My 2001 looks tiny after having a 2405 on my desk for several days. I'm already longing for my 2405, even with its 9 stuck pixels. I wasn't going to order another 2405 until I buy an Inspiron XPS2, in April, but I don't know if I can wait.

Once more...don't order a 2405 until you're sure you're gonna keep it. Trying to get used to your old monitor is nothing short of eyeball torture after gazing upon the majesty of the 2405.

Dim-Ize said:
Is there a problem leaving this display on 24/7 and using a screen saver when not in use?
I doubt it, but it does wear out the backlight faster to leave it on 24/7.

Hello,

I am of of those who have been going through hell with the 2005fpw's. I have now had 3 of them (1st two major dead pixels, last one major backlight bleed). I am now planning to switch to the 2405fpw for the problems I have been having with the 2005, but also size of screen. I got the 2005 to have a large screen, widescreen format and more deskspace. After setting everything up I noticed that I have to squint or huntch over to get closer to the screen due to the small font text size at the higher resolution (1680X1050).

My question is: if I get the 2405fpw and it is at the same viewing distance, will the text size be any bigger at the 1900x1200 res over the 2005 at 1680X1050, or will it be about the same since it is at a higher resolution?

chrism said:
It takes mine a good 20 seconds before it's up to full brightness.

My 2000FP does that but not my new 2405 at all; full intensity from the second it turns on.

Hi All,
First post on here - I live in the UK and bought this monitor from them today(14/03/2005) and it has already been shipped and due for delivery on 16/03/2005. On checking my tracking info it says that I am getting two packages and was wondering if someone who got one can tell me why it is two packages.

Sure hope it dont have any dead or stuck pixels or they will get it back.

Thanks for any help

coneypark said:
Hi All,
First post on here - I live in the UK and bought this monitor from them today(14/03/2005) and it has already been shipped and due for delivery on 16/03/2005. On checking my tracking info it says that I am getting two packages and was wondering if someone who got one can tell me why it is two packages.

Sure hope it dont have any dead or stuck pixels or they will get it back.

Thanks for any help

Maybe it is your lucky day. Check out this post from FatWallet.com:

Dell UK has a special offer:

Link
Buy a Dell flat panel (E173, 1704FP, 2001FP, 2005FPW, 2405FP) and get the second one (the same) free !!!

But right now if you add 2 LCDs to basket it only gives you the 2nd one for half price... Wonder if they'll give the same offer in the U.S.

BigPlaya said:
Buy a Dell flat panel (E173, 1704FP, 2001FP, 2005FPW, 2405FP) and get the second one (the same) free !!!

2 for 1 for a 24" Wide monitor... D-A-N-G!!!

I would buy first and find a justification for it later...

Heck, forget the justification!

Edit: if anyone sees this for Dell.ca, PM me and create a topic!

... or just create a topic!, or post on the Canadian 2405fpw threat.

ie: MAKE IT VISIBLE!

How did you get the details of that - when I go through the UK site there is no such offer on display??

It didnt show up when i placed order so i dont think that is what they are sending me as it says quanity 1 beside monitor on packaging slip

coneypark said:
How did you get the details of that - when I go through the UK site there is no such offer on display??

I read about this in the Fatwallet.com thread where I discovered the $860 + free shipping deal from Dell in the first place. Link seems pretty genuine, but the "Special Offer" might require the purchase of something else. Here is a link the the thread @ Fatwallet (I believe that it is initially discussed on page 96):

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=0&catid=24&threadid=444381

Hello-
I've played with my 2405 for 5 days now. My older powerdvd produces a washed out look so would an upgrade to powerdvd 6.0 help? I am unable to pass the HDOUT signal from my digital stream HiDTV Pro card HDTV pci card to the 2405's vga input port. I can still send the pure HD signal to my viewsonic p815 but only an "over the pci bus" 720 x 480 picture to my Windows xp desktop on the 2405 via either the D-SUB or currently the DVI port. Digital Connection sells an ethereal brand vga to 3 RCA (y Pb Pr)component adapter. Has anyone tried on of these? Also, MyHD has a new version of their pci HDTV tuner the MHD-130.Although it has a vga output it has an optional DVI daughter card that could send directly to the 2405's DVI port or possibly to the component port with a ATI DVI to 3 RCA (y Pb Pr)component adapter. Anybody out there able to successfully hookup an internal pci HDTV card to the 2405 yet? Even with these problems still unsolved I really love this monitor. Much crisper than the viewsonic p815.

It is showing up now but still not giving second one free - only half price. I would like to know when that offer started as my order wasplaced on Thursday 10th March but my packing slip shows order date as 14/03/05.

I am going to phone them up tomorrow and say if I dont get second monitor for free then I will cancel order under UK distance selling rules so they cant charge re-stocking fee and will re-order.

Hope the decided it would be easier just to give me second monitor for free!
Worth a try I think - then I could sell the second one and monitor would have costs nothing.

Crazy deal if you ask me

coneypark said:
It is showing up now but still not giving second one free - only half price. I would like to know when that offer started as my order wasplaced on Thursday 10th March but my packing slip shows order date as 14/03/05.

I am going to phone them up tomorrow and say if I dont get second monitor for free then I will cancel order under UK distance selling rules so they cant charge re-stocking fee and will re-order.

Hope the decided it would be easier just to give me second monitor for free!
Worth a try I think - then I could sell the second one and monitor would have costs nothing.

Crazy deal if you ask me

Can't hurt to give it a try... Good luck!

Have sent them an email but will probably have to phone them up about it as they never answer any email - worst comes to worst I will just cancel and re-order if I need to.

Back