United Devices Closing Down - April 27th

While I never did UD, the abruptness of this sucks. I guess it's probably for the best, though. It definitely sounds like someone pulled the plug.

Sorry to hear it for those of you plugging away at UD.

Is the World Community Grid just about the same as UD, I'm getting the indication that it is the new UD. Someone enlighten about this project.

Well said.

Thanks for the CPU power over the years Fox. I too am sorry to see it end, but as you pointed out, there are now many decent alternatives, most of which are deserving of all the CPU power they can get.

Like most, I will sticking to the humanitarian-based projects. I am a big fan of taking care of things close to home, and I cannot think of anything more worthy than curing the afflictions of man.

Well, thank you for your 14 million points of contribution too. You, SuperMen and Amy are all leaders. :)

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my Celeron [email protected], and I'm sure it will be one of the medically related ones. :rolleyes:

Not to sound like a spokesman for FaH team #33, but wouldn't it make sense to gang bang fah for awile? Just think of all those 100's...maybe 1000's of extra GHz contributing to a single project. Just maybe we can blow the doors off of stamford's original goal of finding a cure within 100 yrs (given the theory of Moores' law and the decreasing mhz boom at the time) and do it before I die.......not from old age or cancer....from being run over by a semi :D

Not to sound like a spokesman for FaH team #33, but wouldn't it make sense to gang bang fah for awile? Just think of all those 100's...maybe 1000's of extra GHz contributing to a single project. Just maybe we can blow the doors off of stamford's original goal of finding a cure within 100 yrs (given the theory of Moores' law and the decreasing mhz boom at the time) and do it before I die.......not from old age or cancer....from being run over by a semi :D

I don't see any reason why people can't switch over to F@H for a while until a decision is made. However, that's not feasible for some people. Some of these guys have shitloads of systems out there that it would be a pain to change from one client, to another to yet another if another project is found and they decide to join it.

True, but they have to change to something if they want to contribute to something. As we all know nothing is free.....even knowing that as we fund the research we will have to pay for the "cure" that we financed.

Let's just bust this program open and make stanford upgrade to keep up with us :D

I don't see any reason why people can't switch over to F@H for a while until a decision is made. However, that's not feasible for some people. Some of these guys have shitloads of systems out there that it would be a pain to change from one client, to another to yet another if another project is found and they decide to join it.

I don't see any reason why people who actively manage their farms will not switch over to FAH while the decision is being made either. If they care enough about contributing something, are within their power to make a change relatively quickly, and don't have personal/technical reasons to not switch, they will switch.

IMO what I think would happen is something along this line: "So, UD is done, what to do now folks? Well, you can switch your boxen to FAH, which is our main project, or there is this new project called [whatever is picked] that you may want to check out, especially if you have older machines." I'm sure some will move to FAH, so I fail to see how this is going to "lose any people" from the FAH side. As BillR and others said in the other thread, this in-fighting happens every so often and over the last little while we finally had some peace. Let's not disrupt that.

Right now bumping of these UD related threads only serves one purpose: to let the other UD people know that they are in for some uninstall/install, and have them keep an eye on the forum/frontpage to know what options are to be presented.

Edit: BTW, if you want to save a copy of your stats for posterity sake, please do it asap. I have my screenshot taken. :)

I was a relatively young one in the grid community (January 2003), but I got some good points generated. 2,670,608 points and 7,785 results returned on a mostly Athlon/P3 farm isn't too shabby in my opinion. My friend was knocking on 40 years of CPU time, and we had a team together that gained us 26 years of time. :mad:

However, I joined to fight cancer and save lives through direct and focused research. With that in mind, has anyone tried this project?

Compute Against Cancer

I might run to F@H but I don't think they will like my hardware from the sounds of it. The frontier engine is relatively forgiving in specs at 600 MHz and 128 MB of RAM. Which is good, because a few of these boxes are strippers with 128 only!

Guess I better go check the min specs for the F@H client. Maybe I can split them evenly. :(

EDIT: Yeah, I got my screen caps and PDF files.

I was a relatively young one in the grid community (January 2003), but I got some good points generated. 2,670,608 points and 7,785 results returned on a mostly Athlon/P3 farm isn't too shabby in my opinion. My friend was knocking on 40 years of CPU time, and we had a team together that gained us 26 years of time. :mad:

However, I joined to fight cancer and save lives through direct and focused research. With that in mind, has anyone tried this project?

Compute Against Cancer

I might run to F@H but I don't think they will like my hardware from the sounds of it. The frontier engine is relatively forgiving in specs at 600 MHz and 128 MB of RAM. Which is good, because a few of these boxes are strippers with 128 only!

Guess I better go check the min specs for the F@H client. Maybe I can split them evenly. :(

EDIT: Yeah, I got my screen caps and PDF files.

Make sure to check out the thread 'so do we have a decision to make'. I did some reserach yesterday and Computer Against Cancer project doesn't seem to have good stats. If this doesn't matter, then go for it. The World Computing Grid project uses the UD client and BOINC, will work on your old hardware, and has very good stats, similar to UD's.

There is a good post from King_N there, he got it running on a 180mhz 64meg box just fine. FaH has some steep requirments these days. I have it on about 20PC's, down to P2-400. That box barely makes the cut off date and generates about 7ppd, compare to X2 4200 on Linux at around 1000ppd.

Wow, I just saw this, and I was hoping to break 30 years of CPU time during the month of May. :(

Well now it is time to move everything over to FAH.

damn, now I gotta start all over! lol oh well, its a very worthy cause, so I know another few things to add to this weekend's plans.

Just FYI, it was brought to my attention that the title of my posting and this thread is misleading.

I know everyone here just says "UD or "United Devices" and we all know what each other is saying when we hear that "UD is closing"...BUT...people outside the community take that as United Devices is closing down, when that isn't the case.

I have edited the original news item (that Atomic Moose sent :D ) to reflect that grid.org sponsored by United Devices was "retired" not closed down.

I have a bunch of old PC's I was gonna slave to UD... humm.... guess not. And I mean a bunch, like 18+... not sure they would do so good at FaH.

Any reccomendations for a project that can still use older gear? P2-400 to AMD 2600+

I'd suggest selling them off for whatever you can get for them (lots of people need a CHEAP internet-only machine), and buying whatever modern machine you can with the money. 18+ machines, if you only get $25 per, that's $450. That'd buy a decent dual core machine. If you get $550-600 you can get a very nice Core 2 Duo machine. Plus you'll save alot on electric costs.

I don't know enough about the other projects to say whether your slower machines will be useful.

I'd suggest selling them off for whatever you can get for them (lots of people need a CHEAP internet-only machine), and buying whatever modern machine you can with the money. 18+ machines, if you only get $25 per, that's $450. That'd buy a decent dual core machine. If you get $550-600 you can get a very nice Core 2 Duo machine. Plus you'll save alot on electric costs.

I don't know enough about the other projects to say whether your slower machines will be useful.

Ya you may be right, and I waffle on this daily. What I need to do is more reserach on eBay. The last I looked I was going to sell off a pair of ADM 64 3000+'s and saw them going for 98 cents on eBay. At that point I decided I'd put them to use, one in my library and one in the garage rather than waste the time selling them. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that older stuff would be worth even less. But maybe its scarcity creates value?

I'll look into it.

Not unless you got an Apple Lisa or something really collectible.

Played with Computing for Cancer's client today and it appears to be rubbish. Wouldn't even load a WU for me. So I dropped to the other IBM project, World Computing Grid, that has multiple types of projects including cancer research, uses the UD engine, and appears almost identical in every way. Hopefully I can still help find a cure for cancer!

Good luck to you guys and get cracking on the protein folding. Hopefully we can defeat these diseases. :)

EDIT: 47 years!!! You and Moose are spectacular at UD work units!

'Scuze me while I whip dis out" Sheriff Bart, Blazing Saddles

63 years, 330 days, 27 hours

Since it will all be gone soon, I am getting as much mileage out of this as I can! After all these years, I am essentially starting all over at the bottom of the pack! :confused:

I was running UD and am sad to see it go. (sarcasm) Pretty lofty goal there, "demonstrate a secure distributed computing client. *golf clap* (/sarcasm)

It's only natural for me to switch my farm over to F@H. Another 6+GHz to the F@[H]orde!

Man I still can't believe UD is gone, sad that it all came to an abrupt end, was with them for almost all 7 years!

I'm going with a few boxes running BOINC projects (1x rosetta, 2xWCG). One is a x2 3800 that has been giving me stability problems with fah smp and the others are older systems (P1.5M, XP3000+).

So far WCG stats seem very UD like. Rosetta is confusing to me but looks interesting if I can just figure it out. I'll probably stay like this with a few systems spread out until this all is figured out.

I'm bringing my whole farm down and moving to Sicily in June and I'm sure everything will have settle by the time my shipment arrives in July/August. The good news is that I'll have free power in Sicily although I'll have much more limited space.

63 years, 330 days, 27 hours

Holy Mother of God!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, you must have a lot of horsepower there! We got 25 computers running this stuff and only made it to 23 years combined, iirc.

The WCG Agent is the UD agent, different skin only. Too bad there wasn't a setting to switch WU servers, otherwise it'd be really easy to move. WU are big though! I have one that's going on 64 hours for muscular dystrophy.

Well im a little late to this to the farewell party , i wandered why my UD agent wasnt connecting to the server for the last few days .

Ive been running for almost 5 years now for the [H] team , was always on the second page of total points never could crack the first page though . Its been a good run .

Now what ?

There are a couple of "sticky" threads where this very subject is being discussed. Take a look, read the points, and cast your vote. :D

Back