Uninstalling Google search & G-mail, etc.

gdonovan

[H]ard|Gawd
Not a cell phone but close- A Samsung Galaxy media player 5.0 which I just rooted today in an attempt to uninstall some apps I don't use and has a rude habit of turning themselves on.

How do I get rid of the damn preinstalled applications! I thought that rooting the device would give me the ability to remove some apps but there doesn't look to be any option to do so.

Andriod Version 2.3.5 Gingerbread is the OS and I have installed Advanced Task Manager Pro. Like a pack of zombies from the Walking Dead, G-mail, Google search, maps, etc. insist on loading themselves when no one is looking.

What about rooting and installing new mod? When I was rooting my Xperia arc today, the guide I was using told to install both mods and google apps files....what if you'd only install just the mod, and not the google package, would it work?

What about rooting and installing new mod? When I was rooting my Xperia arc today, the guide I was using told to install both mods and google apps files....what if you'd only install just the mod, and not the google package, would it work?

I don't know, not really my area of expertise.

Its rooted already, just doesn't seem to be anything extra to be gained by it though.

Not a cell phone but close- A Samsung Galaxy media player 5.0 which I just rooted today in an attempt to uninstall some apps I don't use and has a rude habit of turning themselves on.

How do I get rid of the damn preinstalled applications! I thought that rooting the device would give me the ability to remove some apps but there doesn't look to be any option to do so.

Andriod Version 2.3.5 Gingerbread is the OS and I have installed Advanced Task Manager Pro. Like a pack of zombies from the Walking Dead, G-mail, Google search, maps, etc. insist on loading themselves when no one is looking.

Remove the task manager. Since Android 2.1, they are counterproductive. You're basically going to cause a boxing match between the task manager auto-killing tasks that want to remain in memory, and the tasks re-opening. It's just going to accelerate your battery consumption and slow down your device.

A lot of people think that used memory is a bad thing. That's actually backwards. Unused memory is wasted memory. An OS should intelligently pre-load heavily used applications so that they are in memory when you need them. This allows them to respond more quickly when you want to access them. Android also intelligently kills tasks when memory is needed for a foreground application. Google services are tied into almost any Android device, so it's natural that they would be running. You're usually signed in to Google as soon as you turn on your device.

However, if you can't stand them, you have a few options. First, you can root, install an application like Titanium Backup, and freeze these applications. Another option is to find a custom ROM without them. Another thing that you should do is download Samsung Kies and see if there's an update for your device. Android 4.0 and higher allows for the un-installation or disabling of some system applications.

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

Google services are tied into almost any Android device, so it's natural that they would be running. You're usually signed in to Google as soon as you turn on your device.

I never use them, nor do I have a Google account.

Another thing that you should do is download Samsung Kies and see if there's an update for your device. Android 4.0 and higher allows for the un-installation or disabling of some system applications.

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

Have Kies, unit is fully up to date.

Not installing a gapps package will not causeiissues with the device.... Other wise your options havebeen listed aabove

I never use them, nor do I have a Google account.

Just want to verify, you have no intention of downloading apps? Google account is required for the Play Store. Which app store did you use to purchase Advanced Task Manager Pro? Amazon?

Have Kies, unit is fully up to date.

I just checked their website, and you're correct in that 2.3.5 is the current software for that device. So, I've laid out some options, pick your poison. But definitely lose the task manager unless you want slower performance, higher system instability, and heavier battery drain.

Are you sure you don't have a gmail account? If so you have a Google account. If so go to the play store and download file manager by rhythem software. If you have root start file manger and go to settings, go all the way to the bottom and check root explorer and mount system. After that navigate to system/app (use the up arrow at top of screen). The app folder will contain the apps for gmail and Google search. Delete and you are good to go.

Are you sure you don't have a gmail account?

No G-mail, I avoid Google as much as possible.

I do have an Amazon account which I use, even then I uninstall thier app when I'm done because I have found it running at odd times! WTF, I have never seen an OS do this.

File Manager was available from Amazon and worked perfect, I have backed up the APK files on the flash card if they should be needed in the future.

Last edited:
I do have an Amazon account which I use, even then I uninstall thier app when I'm done because I have found it running at odd times! WTF, I have never seen an OS do this.

It's SUPPOSED to do that. I explained it in a previous post. Windows does this (since Vista). OS X does this. It's proper memory management. Also, if you have/had the Amazon App Store, it WILL run at all times. It's a form of DRM. If you use it to purchase apps, many of those apps will no longer run if you remove the Amazon app store.

No G-mail, I avoid Google as much as possible.

File Manager was available from Amazon and worked perfect, I have backed up the APK files on the flash card if they should be needed in the future.

Tin Foil Hat?

Was referring to gmail

No, you weren't. Please answer the question, which Amazon app were you referring to in the first post? More specifically, how did you acquire Advanced Task Manager Pro, a paid app? Was it Google Play? Amazon App Store? Another app store? Piracy? That app isn't free and you acquired it from one of these methods, and any of these methods (except piracy) will require that the app store runs in the background as a form of DRM (except Google Play, which is more liberal).

I already stated I have an Amazon account.

Ah, I see what you are getting at.

I'm mostly concerned with with Google apps which come pre-installed, which I don't use but they insist on running.

The stuff obtained from Amazon I simply will remove after I'm done tweaking the device to my satisfaction (like file manager, a free download which won't run without the app store apk installed but I no longer require once g-mail was removed)

Last edited:
I already stated I have an Amazon account.

Ok, since you won't answer the question, I'll fill in the blanks.

-You used the Amazon App Store to purchase the task manager
-You are upset that the Amazon App Store runs in the background when you are "not using it."
-You fail to understand that the Amazon App Store, as I pointed out, is a form of DRM and is required to be running in order for apps purchased off of it to run.

That is why it is running in the background. If I'm wrong in any of my assessments, sorry, but you wouldn't answer the questions and therefore, I had to guess. So, there's the full explanation on why it runs in the background, and why it has to.

That is why it is running in the background. If I'm wrong in any of my assessments, sorry, but you wouldn't answer the questions and therefore, I had to guess. So, there's the full explanation on why it runs in the background, and why it has to.

It ran in the background at odd times even when there were no apps installed obtained through Amazon.

No offense, I expect an application to NOT run unless I instruct it to do so.

The background tasks are services. Having applications installed that use services causes the services to keep starting up in the background.

If you don't want the services, you need to remove the apps.

It ran in the background at odd times even when there were no apps installed obtained through Amazon.

No offense, I expect an application to NOT run unless I instruct it to do so.

I'll try once more.

-Your Task Manager is running all the time. It has to in order to function.
-Your Task Manager was purchased through the Amazon App Store. This is a form of DRM and it will run anytime that Task Manager is running.
-Your OS, being smarter than the average bear, knows this. So, it will keep the DRM running all the time, even if you close the Task Manager. Why? Because if neither is running and you try to launch the Task manager, the device will first have to open the Amazon App Store, verify, and then launch the Task Manager. Slow, and not user friendly.

It's a required service once you've bought in. If you don't like it, remove the Amazon App Store and any associated apps.

The background tasks are services. Having applications installed that use services causes the services to keep starting up in the background.

If you don't want the services, you need to remove the apps.

Which I did, and the Amazon store app would still run time to time by itself..

Which I did, and the Amazon store app would still run time to time by itself..

I highly doubt the Amazon AppStore was running if it and apps from Amazon were uninstalled.

Plan B). Just don't worry about it. Killing services and having them launch again uses more battery power than simply letting them run.

Plan C). Use iOS.

It (as advised) and all other apps purchased or obtained through Amazon had been removed.

Good. Then I've answered your question. As for your concerns about Google, just go about using the device without ever using those apps. Eventually, the device should learn what your "preferred" apps are, and will hopefully load them into memory rather than Google's apps.

In the meantime, if you actually need to use more RAM than is available, the apps that you don't use will be intelligently dumped from RAM. Should Samsung ever update your device to 4.x, you will be able to freeze these apps natively. In the meantime, you can do so with Titanium Backup, since your device is rooted. Another option was given to you as well from another poster.

I highly doubt the Amazon AppStore was running if it and apps from Amazon were uninstalled.

Perhaps I was not clear-

All apps obtained through the Amazon app were uninstalled and the Amazon app was found to be running time to time AFTER when there were no longer any apps purchased on the device.

So I uninstalled the Amazon app as well.

Perhaps I was not clear-

All apps obtained through the Amazon app were uninstalled and the Amazon app was found to be running time to time AFTER when there were no longer any apps purchased on the device.

That's because Android saw it as a commonly used app (as it's DRM, a service, and was loaded continually due to your previous apps). You were smart to remove it after getting rid of the other apps.

Perhaps I was not clear-

Gotcha. Controlling background activity on Android is a bitch.

Es task manager lets you disable startup services if you have root. Try doing that to turn off services you don't want.

You're going to have a really hard time using a smart-device. Like, ever.

Yeah, talk about obsessing over nothing... Better stick with Windows XP too or you'll cringe at Vista/7/8's advanced memory management.

I'm doing just fine thanks now that I have some degree of control as to what is going on.

You are now using apps that run all the time to prevent other apps from running all the time. Did you really get anywhere? :p

ES task manager has to run in the background in order to auto-kill processes, which it explicitly advertises in it's description:

* Kill tasks, with a one click, pretty simple widget for auto kill, with ignore list to ignore some applications you don't want to kill. It is an advanced task killer to kill running applications and clean memory(This feature needs ES Task Manager module installed)

That being said, Android's method of app memory caching is effective but not very intuitive to most folks. I can totally see why task killers sell so well.

ES task manager has to run in the background in order to auto-kill processes, which it explicitly advertises in it's

Except I'm not auto killing them- They have either been totally removed from the device or removed from the start up.

Mighty hard for g-mail to run if its been deleated

Back