Unikrn Crypto CEO Devolves Into Insults When Challenged

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
It seems as though it did not take very long at all for Unikrn cryptocurrency CEO, and Maingear mining rig partner, Rahul Sood to start throwing insults around when challenged on his position about Maingear's new 6-GPU mining rig only further exacerbating the GPU shortage issues that PC gamers and hardware enthusiasts are dealing with.

On I'm not done yet .. you used to be Hard, Kyle. Now you're just soft, old and bitter.

It seems when you raised $15M for your new coin, you might be a bit defensive. But as he stated, I am sure he is just joking.

Vote with your wallet.

This is a foolish argument. Cards are used by more than just gamers now, get over it. In other news, people also use buy clothespins for bags of chips. Oh the horror. Don't blame the people selling or buying cards, blame the manufacturers for not making enough to satisfy all of the demand.

This is a foolish argument. Cards are used by more than just gamers now, get over it. In other news, people also use buy clothespins for bags of chips. Oh the horror. Don't blame the people selling or buying cards, blame the manufacturers for not making enough to satisfy all of the demand.
If you think the discussion is foolish, then you likely do not understand the points being made.

So he confirmed what I've been saying, You don't like Facebook, Twitter and all the new cool kids things. He clearly read my other post suggesting you were a grumpy old man and to use "Get off my lawn" more. I'll have to be more creative with my words, now that I see I'm being watched by outsiders. Wish he would have thrown in your listen to hippie music too.

I don't know why CEOs go unhinged like this. But I suppose they're human just like everyone else.

The demand for all cards are way higher. But on the flip side, when the market builds a 11 series, the 10 series will probably be dumped back on the used market for cheap.

They need to build dedicated mining cards that cannot be used for gaming, but cost less. That's going to be the only real way to solve this problem.
Did they not try this already with some cards that had literally no video outputs on the back of them? Not sure what happened with those, ie. if they sold well or at all.

They need to build dedicated mining cards that cannot be used for gaming, but cost less. That's going to be the only real way to solve this problem.

These miner only boards would still use the same GPU dies. In addition, there is value in the ability to resell the boards when a miner wants to get out of the game or perhaps upgrade to a better hashing board. I don't think miner only boards will solve anything.

So you didn't push the happy talk this guy wanted and now he's throwing a hissy fit over you calling him out for doing what he's doing? THANK YOU!!!

Let 'em choke on a bowl of something chokeable! Thanks for pointing out the reality of the situation and the fact that "headless GPUs" are still GPUs no matter how miners try and spin it. :)

Didn't this guy used to be the CEO of VooDoo PCs or some such???
They made some really cool stuff back in the day.

He now seems to be enamoured by the cryptocurrenty fad and wants to cater to that.

Kind of too bad to see a gaming rig company go that direction, he'll probably start crying when even maingear can't get enough GPUs to stock their computers.

Oh well......I'm with Kyle on this one. Insult gets you no where, and there are obviously enough folks in the world who would like a new GPU to buy up what's around, if there were any available.

Did they not try this already with some cards that had literally no video outputs on the back of them? Not sure what happened with those, ie. if they sold well or at all.

I think making mining only cards just produces cards with little to no resale value.

The CEO being an ass is a separate issue in my opinion. If you don't want to be a customer due to that, by all means, avoid them. But the initial argument about them being shitty due to making a mining rig is ludicrous. All products in this world are subject to the laws of supply and demand. As demand goes up, so does price, regardless of the cause for the demand. Any gamer can get a card right now, they will pay market price. Eventually, manufacturers will begin making enough cards to satisfy demand, and market price will push lower. I'm sorry you can't find a card at this price stuck in your head, that is simply made up by the manufacturer (MSRP) so you feel you are guaranteed it. Markets dictate price, not manufacturers.

This mining fad is a freakin joke. This guys is just trying to squeeze money from a rock while giving the middle finger to those who legit want to by a new video card. Sellers need to put limitations on how many they can sell per customer. Slow down this ignorance......

lol ... retailers are not in the business to protect product so everyone can get some. They are in the business to move inventory as quickly as possible for the highest possible profit margin. Period.

You not being able to buy something you want means diddly fucking squat.

Sell today or choke on it later.

The CEO being an ass is a separate issue in my opinion. If you don't want to be a customer due to that, by all means, avoid them. But the initial argument about them being shitty due to making a mining rig is ludicrous. All products in this world are subject to the laws of supply and demand. As demand goes up, so does price, regardless of the cause for the demand. Any gamer can get a card right now, they will pay market price. Eventually, manufacturers will begin making enough cards to satisfy demand, and market price will push lower. I'm sorry you can't find a card at this price stuck in your head, that is simply made up by the manufacturer (MSRP) so you feel you are guaranteed it. Markets dictate price, not manufacturers.
You really do miss the point.....they are buying cards to make rigs to sell at higher prices.....that is some unethical business practices....on top of adding to the shortage. The grfx card SHOULD not be more expensive than the rest of the entire rig itself. That is ignorant.

While I disagree with Kyle about this, the CEO comes across like a total turd burgler.

I’ll discourage anyone I know from giving him money.

Also are these rigs being sold for MSRP of the 6x graphic cards(plus other components, of course)? Or is he charging higher prices as well?

You really do miss the point.....they are buying cards to make rigs to sell at higher prices.....that is some unethical business practices....on top of adding to the shortage. The grfx card SHOULD not be more expensive than the rest of the entire rig itself. That is ignorant.
I guess you are right, clearly I am misunderstanding so please set me straight. What is wrong with buying something to resell at a higher price? Don't all businesses do this? These rules you guys make up regarding what a price SHOULD be are just nuts. The price will be what the seller can sell it for, always and forever. If you disagree with the fundamentals of how a market works, then please tell me your theory of how price should be determined for products, and who should make profit where.

Or could be used as SLI by keeping the bridge and or Crossfire

What I don't understand is why people seem to believe that "this is just how the market works" and "this is having a negative affect on the PC gaming community" cannot simultaneously be true. Markets aren't perfect, and they sometimes product bad short term (and sometimes long term) results.

they are buying cards to make rigs to sell at higher prices.....that is some unethical business practices.
No, that isn't. But claiming he's not hurting gamers by doing so, which inflated retail prices clearly show is a lie, is.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
What I don't understand is why people seem to believe that "this is just how the market works" and "this is having a negative affect on the PC gaming community" cannot simultaneously be true.
How is it having a negative effect on the gaming community? Can gamers no longer have fun gaming? Or do they just not like that cards cost more now? Personally I don't like that my truck cost $60K either. I used to be able to buy them for much less. The pickup truck driving community is hurting.

I guess you are right, clearly I am misunderstanding so please set me straight. What is wrong with buying something to resell at a higher price? Don't all businesses do this? These rules you guys make up regarding what a price SHOULD be are just nuts. The price will be what the seller can sell it for, always and forever. If you disagree with the fundamentals of how a market works, then please tell me your theory of how price should be determined for products, and who should make profit where.

No sense in continuing this argument with you because you clearly are right. The manufacture definitely sets the price. That's what MSRP is, its their product and their patent. If the price is to high it hurts their bottom line but you knew that didn't you.

No sense in continuing this argument with you because you clearly are right. The manufacture definitely sets the price. That's what MSRP is, its their product and their patent. If the price is to high it hurts their bottom line but you knew that didn't you.
I didn't realize that the word Suggested in MSRP meant Mandatory. Thanks for setting me straight.

Don't blame the people selling or buying cards, blame the manufacturers for not making enough to satisfy all of the demand.
I

So why haven't they kept up? Do they even care about gaming anymore or is this like Netflix moving on from DVDs?

How is it having a negative effect on the gaming community? Can gamers no longer have fun gaming? Or do they just not like that cards cost more now? Personally I don't like that my truck cost $60K either. I used to be able to buy them for much less. The pickup truck driving community is hurting.

I should think people being unable to participate in their hobby is one obvious negative effect. More broader, companies which make other performance PC components will take a hit as builds are delayed or cancelled. If the overall installed base of gaming-capable PCs shrinks, fewer games will be made, etc.

Manufacturers do not set retail prices. They can choose not to sell to distributors who do not adhere to MSRP, but they have no legal authority to "force" retailers to charge a particular price.

I should think people being unable to participate in their hobby is one obvious negative effect. More broader, companies which make other performance PC components will take a hit as builds are delayed or cancelled. If the overall installed base of gaming-capable PCs shrinks, fewer games will be made, etc.
While I understand the point you are making, nothing with having higher prices on video cards is preventing someone from gaming. It just means their new equipment costs more than it did previously. I can go on Amazon right now and buy a 1070ti for $1,000. I'm not prevented from gaming. Sure I would rather pay $450, but unfortunately that is not the current price.

Suggested retail price means they are telling people what it should sell at, they can't FIX the price but they certainly do SET the price point.

I dont see the point in being upset at him....So he bought GPUs for a crypto project.... This entire thing just feels like butt hurt. Its AMD and Nvidia that need to produce more or segment the market in a way where miners have their own products and gamers have their own products.

Manufacturers do not set retail prices. They can choose not to sell to distributors who do not adhere to MSRP, but they have no legal authority to "force" retailers to charge a particular price.
Never said they forced people to buy/sell at a price. They do tell retails what the board should sell for there is a difference , one is definitely illegal the other is not. You guys are talking setting and fixing which is two very different terms.

If not body can afford buy new good Video card at or below MSRP for there new setup that req it as onboard device just ain't going to cut it in fps you know that unless you want old game from 5+ years back
Also if people can't buy new video there hugh loss in sale with all the other parts which make up a PC unless it a OEM system you know Dell , HP and etc, so thoses folks start look at Console system as there no way on this god green earth would I ever pay $900+ for AMD or Nvidia GPU I may as well just drag out the old Obsidian x-24 LoL.

Last edited:
While I understand the point you are making, nothing with having higher prices on video cards is preventing someone from gaming. It just means their new equipment costs more than it did previously. I can go on Amazon right now and buy a 1070ti for $1,000. I'm not prevented from gaming. Sure I would rather pay $450, but unfortunately that is not the current price.

If people abandon PC gaming because they can't afford it, then PC gaming could suffer. I appreciate that the economy doesn't care, but I do. ;)

This is actually bigger than gaming. Sure PC gaming is the immediate casualty. But when examined closely mining (nomen est omen) undermines and upsets the economy as well. And not just the economy of the marketplace, but THE economy as well. Do you think all that wasted energy that goes into mining rigs have no attached costs? Mining is basically turning natural resources into "free" money. That's wrong on so many levels. It produces no value, contributes in no way to the advancement of communities, just the personal wealth of the people engaged in the practice. Yet it uses vast amounts of finite resources. Don't be fooled by renewables, most of the world's power demand is still supplied by coal.

I dont see the point in being upset at him....So he bought GPUs for a crypto project.... This entire thing just feels like butt hurt. Its AMD and Nvidia that need to produce more or segment the market in a way where miners have their own products and gamers have their own products.
But isn't this, the CEO's end game? He's trying to make his own market segment but using products not for what they were initially intended, I think you are correct on this though, Nvidia and AMD have to look at changing with the times and adjust for this trend.

But isn't this, the CEO's end game? He's trying to make his own market segment but using products not for what they were initially intended, I think you are correct on this though, Nvidia and AMD have to look at changing with the times and adjust for this trend.
So hes supposed to not attempt a new bussiness start because some people will blame him even though he doesn't decide how many GPUs are produced? I dont see how this is anyones fault but AMD/Nvidia. When paper launches and GPU shortages were going on we all knew who to blame, the companies that produce the fucking product.

This feels like reaching for a story. And then whining about him being "offensive"... Make up your mind on tough talk ffs. It cant be good when you want and bad when you dont like it. Consistency.

Suggested retail price means they are telling people what it should sell at, they can't FIX the price but they certainly do SET the price point.
This is an interesting concept. They don't Fix the price but they Set the price point. Hmm. Having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around it though. So what happens if the manufacturer "SETs" the price point of widgets, and retail wants to move it lower to sell more widgets as they feel this will create more profit through volume. Is retail allowed to lower the price in your world? I'm guessing that is ok with you. You just don't want them increasing what has been suggested to them, to make more profit. So you fundamentally disagree with someone making profit that you feel is more than they should make. Perhaps we should just legislate that no seller of any product is allowed to sell it for more than X% higher than what they paid. While I don't agree with that, that seems to be what you want.

I

So why haven't they kept up? Do they even care about gaming anymore or is this like Netflix moving on from DVDs?

Mining is very volatile. Say they ramp up production to accommodate everyone. Six months from now, the market drops and people jump ship (it could happen, I don't think it will, but I think it will drop a bit) and flood the market with used cards. No one is buying new cards for mining, and the used cards out there fulfill a lot of gamers needs. So, there is a lot of stock out there not able to be sold as well as if they create a new model, sales will be lower as there would be sufficient supply of the older model which does just fine.

Speculating on mining is still a big risk.

Back