Uneven push/pull question

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
Hello,

I am sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find any obvious leads:

in an uneven push pull setup on a H50, what would be better? A more powerful (more CFM and static pressure) pushing, or the more powerful fan pulling? I ask because I only have two different fans.

My CPU temps stay within 65C load... at stock (i7 930), but can easily excede 75C at 3.6GHz ~2.52V. My H50 is setup as an intake into an Antec P180 Mini case.

Thank you!
-Jeremy

p.s. Or would it be better to just get two of the same fans? The fans I have (the only fans, short of the Antec Big Boy) are an Antec TriCool 120mm and a Gentle Typhoon AP15 (1800rpm), and getting some extra fans would take a few weeks, and I'd rather not wait.

Im not good at describing things, but you might want to read up on what the "turbine effect" is.

sorry about that man. I'm afraid what im going to tell you wont be accurate, but here it goes anwyay.

From what i've been told, which was told to me in very basic language, is when you have 2 different fans in the same tunnel doing push/pull, and they push different amounts of air, the one that pushes less air essentially contributes nothing to airflow.

Now i havent tested this or anything, but this conversation i had was in regards to heatsinks (specifically a venomous x), and my buddy assured me that putting a second, mis-matched fan onto the heatsink would do jack, and that i should get matching fans.

Looks to me like all you can really do at this point is experiment. YAY EXPERIMENTING FUN! :p

is when you have 2 different fans in the same tunnel doing push/pull, and they push different amounts of air, the one that pushes less air essentially contributes nothing to airflow.

I'd think this would be true for an unobstructed tunnel, where even the diameter of the tunnel was large enough so as not to impede airflow. For a heatsink, however, it may be different. It would depend on both the capabilities/performance of the fans, and how restrictive the heatsink is.

I'd think this would be true for an unobstructed tunnel, where even the diameter of the tunnel was large enough so as not to impede airflow. For a heatsink, however, it may be different. It would depend on both the capabilities/performance of the fans, and how restrictive the heatsink is.

Would have to agree, unless you're dealing with idea situations that second fan should come in handy. The airflow pattern of the headsink would be the determining factor, as well as environmental factors.

Back