Underwhelmed with Audioengine A2 and need advice

NukeleaR

Weaksauce
So, long story short my Klipsch 5.1 setup on my PC is dying (again) and I'm hunting around for replacements. I picked up an open box special pair of A2s today, and I am frankly very underwhelmed with the bass performance and fullness of sound. I was hoping I could get some recommendations based on some criteria:

Price - $150-$300 (I could spend more if its going to make a substantial difference)
Usage - 70% music (rock/indie/alternative), 30% gaming
Size - These are on my desk (and will be approximately 2.5ft away), so 2.0 or 2.1 bookshelf/PC speakers

Was the Klipsch setup really that good or am I just romanticizing its sound?

So far I've considered the A2's, A5's, Corsair SP2500, and the Dayton B652's and Pioneer SP-BS21-LR's with a DAC/Amp. I'll probably end up getting a small DAC/headphone amp as well to drive my Sennheiser 580s, if that plays into the decision. Would the A5 be a substantial improvement in bass response and range? Would the (bulky) monitor/DAC/Amp combo provide better quality sound?

Edit: Should I just step up and go with a A5+ (or A5, is there a difference in sound quality?) and Audioengine DAC combo? Will I see a substantial difference? I'm not chasing the "last 15%" that high end equipment provides, but I want to bump up as close as possible.

Last edited:
*Was the Klipsch setup really that good or am I just romanticizing its sound?*

The Klipsch also had a subwoofer.

If you got a standalone sub they would sound MUCH better.

Classic case of expecting too much from something that simply can't do what you want it to do. ;) I mean, the A2 have what, a 3 inch woofer? Really mate, what were you expecting?

Edit: Should I just step up and go with a A5+ (or A5, is there a difference in sound quality?) and Audioengine DAC combo? Will I see a substantial difference? I'm not chasing the "last 15%" that high end equipment provides, but I want to bump up as close as possible.

The A5's have more range, but you'll never be able to compare a 2.0 system with a dedicated subwoofer. Adding a DAC won't make either set of speakers sound vastly different. I will tell you what though, I have a pair of A2's and I thought the bass was a little weak, I adjusted the windows EQ and I find I'm much more content with them now, if that's not enough add a standalone sub!

The Klipsch also had a subwoofer.

If you got a standalone sub they would sound MUCH better.

Classic case of expecting too much from something that simply can't do what you want it to do. ;) I mean, the A2 have what, a 3 inch woofer? Really mate, what were you expecting?

I was expecting it to not deliver the same level of bass, but at least a similar range (for a similar price point).

It sounds like I need to just add a subwoofer to the mix, is there a compatible/comparable one I can use?

The A5's have more range, but you'll never be able to compare a 2.0 system with a dedicated subwoofer. Adding a DAC won't make either set of speakers sound vastly different. I will tell you what though, I have a pair of A2's and I thought the bass was a little weak, I adjusted the windows EQ and I find I'm much more content with them now, if that's not enough add a standalone sub!

Definitely sounds like I just need to get a dedicated sub. I typically buy stuff of quality that will last a long time (~6-8 years), I'm wondering if I should just step up to the A5 and add an inexpensive sub.

Used receiver
HSU subwoofer
Some bookshelf speakers
???
profit

I've heard arguments saying that bookshelf speakers aren't designed for near-field listening (such as when I'm at my PC). Is there really going to be a significant difference between the Audioengines and a pair of $50-$100 bookshelf speakers (such as the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR)?

I think you would prefer SP2500's, it has a massvie sub. I nearly got these but I haven't really got the room under my desk, so I got the A2's instead :eek:

Also AudioEngine has quite a nice sub, but it isn't cheap. If it's as clear as the A2's then it will sounds lovely.

I've heard arguments saying that bookshelf speakers aren't designed for near-field listening (such as when I'm at my PC). Is there really going to be a significant difference between the Audioengines and a pair of $50-$100 bookshelf speakers (such as the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR)?

Won't be night and day, but they're better and cheaper... Honestly the A2 are great for their size but I've always said they're a little overpriced. If you need something ultra compact they're not bad, but bigger/fuller bookshelves with woofers twice the size and a cheap amp can be had for half or three quarters of the price.

As for subwoofers, you're probably gonna want to spend just about as much as you would on the speakers/amp if you really wanna be floored... Sounds like you're very used to the bottom end kick of the Promedia's tho, regardless of that sub's quality, so you'll obviously feel like something's missing in any sub-less setup.

You could sell the A2, trade up for some larger bookshelves that go deeper, come out even, and live with it for a while to see if you get used to the sound... If not you can always add a sub later. I'd wait for a sale on the larger BS42 if you're going with the Pioneer tho. I think the Infinity P153 are currently on sale too tho.

Been using my A2 for roughly 2 years now..Wasn't overwhelmed with it as the mid bass hump is a little too muffled for my taste. But got used to it as my desk literally has no space for a bigger speaker.

One improvement that could be made is if you place the speakers at ear level or get the tilting stands from audio engine that could improve a lot. The trick is to have the tweeters at ear level for a better listening experience.

However i have another set of speakers the z5500 logitech mounted bottom of my bunk bed for movies and game. So I cant really complain.

I've had my A5 for over two years now and I love them. Initially I was underwhelmed by the bass, but it is much better after the break-in period. I came from the z-5500 and I do not regret the the change.

Back