Underwater Survival Game "Subnautica" Is Currently Free on the Epic Games Store

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
To entice gamers to its new storefront, Epic is offering a free copy of Unknown Worlds Entertainment’s Subnautica from now through December 27 on the Epic Games Store. The open-world title, which stars a character who crash lands on an underwater alien planet and must survive by crafting equipment and outsmarting various creatures, garnered an 87 Metacritic score and "Very Positive" reviews on Steam.

You have crash-landed on an alien ocean world, and the only way to go is down. Descend into the depths of a vast underwater world filled with wonder and peril. Craft equipment, pilot submarines and out-smart wildlife to explore lush coral reefs, volcanoes, cave systems, and more - all while trying to survive.

Thought it was a great game, I mean it had it's issues but nothing serious, bought on steam at early release and was pleased with finished product, took me awhile to complete though cause I would just get sidetracked, then forget what i was doing, and getbored.... But if ya stick to doing what you should.... great game.... do wish it had coop though....

Definitely recommend for free

Last edited:
I would bite but it's bad enough to have two game services installed. I don't want a third.

I would bite but it's bad enough to have two game services installed. I don't want a third.
What is the deal with having another game client installed ( I see this posted frequently and quite frankly it's baffling as all hell ). You know it does not have to launch on startup.
I have Steam, Epic, GOG, UBI and the worst of them all Windows 10.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/04/tim-sweeney-answers-questions-about-the-new-epic-games-store

Does the store use any style of digital right management, and can players play these games offline or is an internet connection required?

We do not have any store-wide DRM. Developers are free to use their own DRM solutions if they choose.

Last edited:
I am not always a fan of survival sorts of games, but this was really neat. An actual story, real feeling of progressing, real feeling of strange and unknown.

Really enjoyed this. And I left a time capsule with some of my best fiction writing ever for someone. Hope they enjoyed it.

grabbed it yesterday myself. seems to boot straight into VR. had a lot of problems setting up the controller but after fudging around kinda got it working. Epic launcher hates my wireless ds4 adapter. but it is a nice vr experience for sure.

What is the deal with having another game client installed ( I see this posted frequently and quite frankly it's baffling as all hell ).

It's a pain in the ass. I'm spoiled by Steam and one login. Also it's more code that has the potential to be shitty and vulnerable, especially when most of these launchers go out of their way to ensure they are always running. I'm forever having to stomp their asses down from auto-launching.

On the other hand, not having all your proverbial eggs in one basket probably isn't a bad thing. Classic security for convenience arguments with "security" in this context being access to one's games I suppose.

Having said that, I did download it last night myself and am looking forward to exploring since the game has gotten rave reviews. The VR edition is highly regarded too.

Subnautica is a lot of fun - I've logged a lot of hours into it. I need to finish up the main story line. I know I'm pretty far along (not talking about it - no spoilers).

I appreciate this kind of post. Even though my laptop is too old and crappy to play any games, I've managed to gradually accumulate older games on Steam/Epic, etc., for free/cheap, because of the links shared here. At some point I'll build a new system and I'll be able to play them. Thanks, [H].

Man this game runs really smooth.

Very minimalistic user interface, game just loads and let you play.

No overwhelming tutorials, backstory or quests when you just want to see what the damn thing looks like.

I like it.

Of course, I can feel them conditioning me to their gamification which is:
Survive
Collect resources
Consume resources
Find more resources
Repeat

But thats okay. If I want a billion missions and quests and checkpoints, I'll play another game.

This one seems pretty relaxing.

Origin did the same thing to make an account. I own a bunch of free games on Origin.

What I do is usually uninstall it once I am done with free games and go back to steam.

I can't say no to free games of good quality, so now I 'own' Subnautica and Epic owns me.

Got it. I apparently have an Epic account, probably from when I played around with UE4 all those years ago.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Old news. The game just became available for a week, but Epic announced a week or 2 ago it would offer free games, starting with this one. Next one is Super Meatboy I think.

And "oh I have so many game clients, how could I possibly have one more"... whatever. Epic makes TEN for me. You do know you don't have to keep them all running, right? Some/half I have are only to absorb free games they offer (I'm looking at you, Twitch).

Excellent game, lotsa fun and creative spin on the survival/exploration/base building formula. Can't wait for the expansion to come out.

Pretty fun game. Also got it early release a year or two ago. Still haven't finished, like other's I put it down and then go back. I went thru a phase of open world sci-fi after No Man's land and got around a dozen of them. Haven't finished any but maybe some day. This was the most unique though.

Pretty fun game. Also got it early release a year or two ago. Still haven't finished, like other's I put it down and then go back. I went thru a phase of open world sci-fi after No Man's land and got around a dozen of them. Haven't finished any but maybe some day. This was the most unique though.

if you ever get back to it....once you get to cove tree your close...and quite frankly its the best place to build :)

I'm one of those poor saps who bought it a few weeks back, but I'm certainly not going to complain. It was worth every penny, and I'm glad more people might get to experience it now. For me, it was the best game I've played in years. It's incredibly immersive.

I'm in. I guess I have a soft spot for Epic anyway, going back to the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament days. I already have a few other launchers now... after that first cup of Kool-Aid, what's a few more gonna hurt? :p

But seriously, with the popularity and success of Unreal Engine, now that this launcher is here it's probably not going away anytime soon. Maybe they pull a Bethesda and make their next big release exclusively through their own storefront.

wow, just did the DL, very cool game. Not very intuitive (at least for me) but looks to be a fun, relaxing game and ... you can't beat the current price

What is the deal with having another game client installed ( I see this posted frequently and quite frankly it's baffling as all hell ).

I like to keep things simple and all in one place when it comes to my games. Plus I have 3 steam links in my house that I use frequently and other services don't always play nice with it.

I'm one of those poor saps who bought it a few weeks back, but I'm certainly not going to complain. It was worth every penny, and I'm glad more people might get to experience it now. For me, it was the best game I've played in years. It's incredibly immersive.

LOL I see what you did there. Hidden dad joke for the win!

I may have to try this.

Picked it up and am loving it so far. Wife isn't happy that I forgot she was there all weekend but the game sure is fun! Nice to have something a bit different

Reactions: lazz
like this
And "oh I have so many game clients, how could I possibly have one more"... whatever. Epic makes TEN for me. You do know you don't have to keep them all running, right? Some/half I have are only to absorb free games they offer (I'm looking at you, Twitch).

And considering EPIC has the biggest game on the planet I'm fairly confident it isn't some low-rent application. I wouldn't keep ten running as that's a tad extreme, but it doesn't bother me to see Steam + Blizzard + EPIC running. Only reason to close them for me is that I don't want downloads starting while I'm playing a game online. Other than that I'd prefer that they keep my games up to date so they're ready when I am.

hmm, game looks interesting

I will have to check it out on steam when i get home

LOL

have they fixed the game yet for the rift? I finally gave up trying to play it as it was terrible for touch controller support. Half the time I couldn't even launch the game.

I wonder if the epic store copy of subnautica can run VR on windows mixed reality. I might have to check it out.

And considering EPIC has the biggest game on the planet I'm fairly confident it isn't some low-rent application. I wouldn't keep ten running as that's a tad extreme, but it doesn't bother me to see Steam + Blizzard + EPIC running. Only reason to close them for me is that I don't want downloads starting while I'm playing a game online. Other than that I'd prefer that they keep my games up to date so they're ready when I am.

Only complaint so far is I cannot throttle my download speed in the app like Steam, Origin, and uPlay can. Maybe I missed it.

It would be nice to have an application for game platforms like what Trillian did for IM services.
And like others have said, you do not need to have them all running. Steam I have running all the time since I play so many through Steam. Origin, and now Epic, I open only when needed.

As for the game, I have always enjoyed survival games. Started with Minecraft. Then Ark and Empyreon. Now Subnautica which puts a nice environmental change on the survival genre.

Last edited:
VR is still broken, from what I hear, but the game is really worth a look for the visuals if noting else. Survival stuff isn't very interesting to me but Daaaannnnngggg is this pretty!

Back