Undervolting GPU...

Mermalion

Limp Gawd
I built the rig in my sig a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with everything. The only flaw in it that I've found is that the GPU can and does get very hot. It will exceed 90c while gaming. These temps are with the computer outside of the case.

Has anyone here had any success undervolting a GPU in an attempt to achieve lower temps? If so what card, volts, and clocks did you use?

Your GPU is just fine at 90C. I am not sure about unvervolting the GPU, but there are better way to cool down your GPU, such as a reapplying thermal paste or replacing the heatsink.

The G80 / 8800 is supposed to run that hot. Get a better cooling solution or stop caring about it^^

I have pulled the stock cooler off and applied AS5 to the GPU and left the thermal pads on the ram. I also pulled the shroud off and placed a 92mm fan on the heatsink. This brought my temps from ~105c to about 97c.

I did manage to undervolt it. I used nvflash to read the bios then NiBiTor to to edit the bios. I changed the GPU voltage from the stock 1.3v down to 1.1v. It has been stable and only hits 84c now. I also managed to reduce the 2d clocks to 450 core / 1200 shader / 1600 ram

Has anyone else had any success doing this?

crank your fan speed, it should lower considerably.

Isn't nVidia System tools/Rivatuner able to under clock it? (similar to undervolting, same effect).

Nvidia Control panel and Rivatuner are both able to under or overclock it but why not attempt to lower temps while maintaining stock speed?

So far I'm at 1v in 2d mode ( 450mhz core / 1200mhz shader / 1600mhz ram ) and 1.05v in 3d mode at stock clocks and am down to 82c. I'm going to keep going to lower clocks until it gets unstable then go back up one and call it good :D

How low will the voltage regulators actually lower the voltage on these cards? Right now I'm at .95v 2dmode/1v 3dmode and it shows no signs of problems. Is it actually running at these volts or has the vregs actually stopped at a certain voltage?

are you testing these voltage readings with a multimeter?
because the card should be regulating its own voltage, meaning that regardless of what you flash your bios to, it should only allow minimal impact on what the card will actually adjust.
lowering your clocks, turning your fan up, or buying an aftermarket cooler would have all been better ideas than possibly bricking your card.

im wondering why you have temps that high. mine stays in the 60s and 70's while gaming.

I thought the temps were high also but everyone says they're fine... It was like this before I even started doing anything. It used to get up to and sometimes slightly over 100c. After I applied AS5 to it the temps went down to upper 90's. Now that I've adjusted the the voltage and placed a 92mm fan on it ( controlled by a bay controller ) it is sitting in the upper 80's while gaming. I'd like for it to maintain atleast these temps with the cooler unmodified but right now it seems unrealistic. Also I have the case open while monitoring these temps as with the case side on it gets hot inside the case.

people say that these chips can take 100c, but I wont expect them to last long at that temp...
when I was on my 8800gt with the single slot cooler it would reach in the 90'sc (during heavy gaming) and it would sometimes crash on me... I suspect it was the card overheating, after I replaced the stock cooler with an arctic cooling one I cannot recall another crash on that card.

Back