Ultra X2 Extreme Edition 750w Power Supply @ [H]

Yay for my OCZ Powerstream 520 watt, been going strong for a long time now.

Going on three years 24/7 without a single problem.

It's still bullshit that it's advance RMA ONLY. Who the fuck else does that?

Not Crucial. Not Corsair. Not AMD. Not Intel. No video card manufacturers either. Guess it's JUST Ultra.

SOME people WANT an advance RMA and don't mind letting a company "hold" a few bucks until they receive the broken one back. SOME (more than most) DO NOT or ARE NOT ABLE to give out $50 for a couple of weeks.

I'd say "some" is actually significantly less than "most."

It's still bullshit that it's advance RMA ONLY. Who the fuck else does that?

Gateway does it. My roomate's hard drive took a massive dump on him, and in order to proceed with the RMA they required he fork over his CC number so they could charge him $75 for the replacement, and then refund it to him only after they recieved the old defective drive, and it was actually found to be defective, otherwise they would keep the old drive and still charge him for the new one.

I agree. It is bullshit.

Gateway does it. My roomate's hard drive took a massive dump on him, and in order to proceed with the RMA they required he fork over his CC number so they could charge him $75 for the replacement, and then refund it to him only after they recieved the old defective drive, and it was actually found to be defective, otherwise they would keep the old drive and still charge him for the new one.

I agree. It is bullshit.

Well, Mr. Bluntman, as I spark up a Peach flavoured Cigarillo I'll say...

...I've never bought a Gateway and I never will.

Well, Mr. Bluntman, as I spark up a Peach flavoured Cigarillo I'll say...

...I've never bought a Gateway and I never will.

Peach, eh? I'm more partial to cherry or raspberry. :p

And I will never buy a pre-assembled machine ever again, after all the upgrade/repair hell I went through with Packard Bell, Acer, or Compaq machines in my early computing years. Ever.

Besides, I have too much fun doing it myself.

Nor will I ever buy an Ultra PSU, either.

Big thank you [H] for being there for us (the consuments) and doing tests like this, bet it saved someone from a very expensive experience and a busted computer.

This must hurt Ultra in a bad way as their reputation will take a bad hit and people will choose another brand to spend their hard earned money on.

well im one of those poor souls that bought one of the 750 x2's

after careful research and looking at this place in particular i found every peice of hardware and have been slowly aquiring parts... i researched everything but the psu it came with the case i wanted... well that sux... ill let ya know if this one fries and under what load

I agree. It is bullshit.

The first part's true. I had a HDD die in my Gateway laptop within warranty and had to use a CC to secure an advanced replacement. They never said anything about charging me if they found the drive I returned non-defective. I'm calling shens on that part of the story. They can't charge you for something they're knowingly in posession of. They can charge a restocking fee (15% or whatever) but I even doubt they do that.

Tip of the hat to the [H] staff for the quality reviews. You guys have consistently helped make the community more educated as consumers.

after careful research and looking at this place in particular i found every peice of hardware and have been slowly aquiring parts... i researched everything but the psu it came with the case i wanted... well that sux... ill let ya know if this one fries and under what load

Are you crazy? Don't use it. Sell it on Ebay, or (even better) demand a refund from Tiger Direct citing the [H] review as the reason and see what they do. It's not worth risking your shiny new hardware on one of those pieces of trash.

So Ultra is selling a 750 watt power supply which is actually a rebranded 600 watt power supply which can barely put out 400 watts? That's pretty fucked up. I'm glad you took them to task for this.

Amen brotha...couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the update [H].

As said, you are crazy if you keed using that PSU, you not only risk the PSU giving up but there's a high risk your other components get damaged or broken as well.

EDIT: If you are really unlucky you might also have it burst into fire and risk you house burning down.

Are you crazy? Don't use it. Sell it on Ebay, or (even better) demand a refund from Tiger Direct citing the [H] review as the reason and see what they do. It's not worth risking your shiny new hardware on one of those pieces of trash.

I think there is more than enough reason to get at the very least a refund on the unit if not an exchange.

I am not at all saying that you should consider this particular product but I have owned 2 Ultra PSU's and mATX cases. I have been completely satisfied thus far ... although these are not EXTREME systems by any means. I have run overclocked video cards and cpus on these systems and they have been completely stable. I am currently writing to you on one of these units...http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=13&pPath=439&productID=604
it contains a AMD Black running 400MHZ over spec, a ATI HD 3850, 2 x 1GB DDR2, 200GB Drive, DVD Drive, Creative ZS sound. ROCK SOLID STABLE. I can share with you experiences when 2 reasonably high end Antec units have failed on me. I think in many situations it comes down to the luck of the draw.

Edit - I only paid $100.00 for my MX6 which I consider a steal for a very cool case and obviously a decent psu.

I think in many situations it comes down to the luck of the draw.

Don't forget though you have a Wintech based XVS being sold and marketed closer to its actual ratings while the 750W in question is being overrated by a whole lot. Your 600W would make a poor 750W unit too ;)

Don't forget though you have a Wintech based XVS being sold and marketed closer to its actual ratings while the 750W in question is being overrated by a whole lot. Your 600W would make a poor 750W unit too ;)

Well ... for all I know it could be a crappy 500 Watt PSU in a 600 Watt suit. I do know they run well in this configuration along with a similar configuration with a x1800XL.

When I went price shopping for a PSU not that long ago for the comp in my sig, my first visit was here to read through some of the 1kw+ PSU reviews. Precisely because the folks at HardOCP are the only people that really make those PSUs they test, work for their positive reviews. At the time those two cards had cost a fair amount (about a grand), and I wasn't even going to risk damaging them, or the rest of the system, because of a poor PSU. And I'm glad I did. Because I get worry free operation regardless of how hard I load the system, or what the ambient temperature rises to. And here in Reno, summers can get pretty damn warm. ;)

Because of this type of behavior irresponsible companies exhibit, buyers -have- to cautious when thinking of purchasing a product from them. And I'm very grateful that there are people like those here at HardOCP, and (depending on the product) others out there to call some of these companies on their claims when they market their filth to an unsuspecting public.

Thanks again HardOCP

Welp, Ultra is officially banned from any of my computer builds. Thanks [H]

Seconded, for the most part. Their high end stuff is great, but everything else is too risky. I'd would much rather go and get a great unit from Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, PCP&C, or Enermax, where you basically don't need to read reviews.

Seconded, for the most part. Their high end stuff is great, but everything else is too risky. I'd would much rather go and get a great unit from Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, PCP&C, or Enermax, where you basically don't need to read reviews.

QFT. And like I stated before... a better PSU might cost more initially, but the savings will be returned over a span of time when that one better PSU can be used in multiple future builds/upgrades for quite some time to come instead of leaving the user looking for a new PSU with every build.

After seeing the review on this junk power supply, my stomach has literally turned inside out. I installed this in my backup comp system 10 days before you published your review and even tho it has been working fine - the review has made me realize that it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off !! No way am I trusting this POS in my computer. I have since yanked it out and put an enermax 535 in its place. I purchased it from tigerdirect.com in January - which I have noticed no longer sells it. Since its a working power supply i can't RMA it or get my money back. What can I do? Am I being paranoid?

After seeing the review on this junk power supply, my stomach has literally turned inside out. I installed this in my backup comp system 10 days before you published your review and even tho it has been working fine - the review has made me realize that it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off !! No way am I trusting this POS in my computer. I have since yanked it out and put an enermax 535 in its place. I purchased it from tigerdirect.com in January - which I have noticed no longer sells it. Since its a working power supply i can't RMA it or get my money back. What can I do? Am I being paranoid?

What you can do is contact Ultra and/or Tiger and tell them you demand a refund for the purchase+shipping price or a free expedited replacement PSU of your choice of brand and model with similar output for selling you a PSU with false/fraudulent specs. Show them the article and this thread, and if they aren't too cooperative, calmly remind them of the possible consequences of false advertising and the possibility of a report being filed with BBB.

What you can do is contact Ultra and/or Tiger and tell them you demand a refund for the purchase+shipping price or a free expedited replacement PSU of your choice of brand and model with similar output for selling you a PSU with false/fraudulent specs. Show them the article and this thread, and if they aren't too cooperative, calmly remind them of the possible consequences of false advertising and the possibility of a report being filed with BBB.

I hate to burst your bubble but the likelyhood of that working are slim and none.

Update on my blown X2. When I read the review and saw how bad this power supply was I decided not to risk my main rig so I put it in a "glide" machine I was building (so I could play some Unreal Infiltration with my old Voodoo 5 5500). Worked fine one day the next day the X2 fried and took the motherboard, Soundblaster 16 ISA, Voodoo 5 5500 and 500mhz K62 CPU with it. I was going to name that box the "Time Machine".

If you have the X2 750 in any working machine remove it.

Update on my blown X2. When I read the review and saw how bad this power supply was I decided not to risk my main rig so I put it in a "glide" machine I was building (so I could play some Unreal Infiltration with my old Voodoo 5 5500). Worked fine one day the next day the X2 fried and took the motherboard, Soundblaster 16 ISA, Voodoo 5 5500 and 500mhz K62 CPU with it. I was going to name that box the "Time Machine".

If you have the X2 750 in any working machine remove it.

Sorry to hear about the demise of some venerable old parts.

If this thing can't handle a K6, it certainly can't handle anything modern. Listen to this guy.

I have an x3 ultra modular supply, i've never had any problems with it, runs my x2 5600+ and hd2900xt with 1 hdd and 1 dvd/cdrw combo drive, a few fans no complaints here

I have sence removed my Ultra X2 750watt PSU, and replaced it with a BFG quad 12v 800Watt PSU.
I did contact Ultra and teh place i got the X2 from, and both offered to replace the unit if it failed or died.
I pointed out to them that that was not an option, sence if it did die i would not want a new X2 750watt PSU.
They did not care, the E-shop said had i talked to them before the 30days were up they would have refunded my money, but was 32day when i read this review.
Ultra would not let me send it back and pay the difrence for the X3.

The PSU did not fail on me, and i realy had no problems out of it, but was not risking my Gaming rig over $100.00 PSU, so i got the BFG and all seams well and good.

LOL, after all that was said here I cant believe you even tried the PS

well i have a friend running one and its been running good for a while now... and i really was hoping it could help me at least get the computer past the trouble shooting phase... i really wanted to wait till the next pay check, but it looks like im gonna have to drop some more money sooner than i want to.

Back