• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ultra stable voice automation PC

skwhig

n00b
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
17
I'm quadriplegic, I use voice controlled HomeSeer software to control X-10 and Inspiron devices all over my house, including fans, lights, alarms, heaters, an air-conditioner, etc. I can control anything that uses infrared as well.

I also use the same computer as an HTPC, running programs like MediaPortal and Boxee and storing all my media.

Stability is a huge issue for me. When my voice recognition crashes or freezes I'm screwed. I have to resort to yelling and hoping someone hears me who can reboot me.

I want to build a new rig, maybe two. I think it might be a good idea to have separate rigs for HTPC and HomeSeer, is this a good idea or am I just doubling my chances of a problem occurring?

Are there any good ways to monitor certain processes from another computer and restart them so I have a fail-safe in case my voice control stops listening?

Also, will an Opteron CPU crash/freeze less than a Phenom?
 
I want to build a new rig, maybe two. I think it might be a good idea to have separate rigs for HTPC and HomeSeer, is this a good idea or am I just doubling my chances of a problem occurring?
It's a very good idea to keep the HTPC and server separately as shown in this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1419906
Are there any good ways to monitor certain processes from another computer and restart them so I have a fail-safe in case my voice control stops listening?
Remote Desktop maybe?
Also, will an Opteron CPU crash/freeze less than a Phenom?
Theoretically yes. However the consumer grade Phenom II CPUs are pretty stable as is unless you have a crappy motherboard, RAM or power supply or defective CPU.
 
Back
Top