Ultimatedefrag settings

Dominat0r

2[H]4U
Hey all, friend turned me on to Ultimatedefrag instead of using the normal windows one. It looks like its a really in depth program.

I was wondering which is the correct setting to use to defrag? Would you mind sharing alittle light on which options you take and why?

I found some info on the web about, but really doesnt go into detail, or recommend settings.

I spent 3 days torture testing UltimateDefrag earlier this year with a 20GB partition that had 1 single file on it: a 1GB VOB file taken off a DVD. Doesn't seem like such a big deal, right? Well, I used a cool little tool that "shotgun blasted" that 1 single 1GB file into 256K fragments - seriously. It broke that file into it's maximum fragments and gave me 99% fragmentation.

"UltimateDefrag" took 24 hours and 36 minutes to put that file back together again. Diskeeper took 21 hours and 4 minutes, O&O took 11 hours and 16 minutes, and... as expected, PerfectDisk 8 ran them all into the ground with a gut-busting 2 hours and 11 minute defrag.

I don't know what's so damned "Ultimate" about "UltimateDefrag," but it sure can't touch PerfectDisk. Nothing can...

Oh, and the supposed ability to manually place files precisely where you want them to be on the hard drive? Doesn't work. I used it, over and over again, followed every direction, tip, tweak, etc I could find, and it simply wouldn't do exactly what it advertises. That's my experience, maybe yours will be better for you.

ps
There's a long thread about UltimateDefrag over at the Wilders Security forums with several posts that can really help with the settings and configuration, but you'll have to read pretty much the entire thread to suck out the useful info.

I spent 3 days torture testing UltimateDefrag earlier this year with a 20GB partition that had 1 single file on it: a 1GB VOB file taken off a DVD. Doesn't seem like such a big deal, right? Well, I used a cool little tool that "shotgun blasted" that 1 single 1GB file into 256K fragments - seriously. It broke that file into it's maximum fragments and gave me 99% fragmentation.

"UltimateDefrag" took 24 hours and 36 minutes to put that file back together again. Diskeeper took 21 hours and 4 minutes, O&O took 11 hours and 16 minutes, and... as expected, PerfectDisk 8 ran them all into the ground with a gut-busting 2 hours and 11 minute defrag.

I don't know what's so damned "Ultimate" about "UltimateDefrag," but it sure can't touch PerfectDisk. Nothing can...

Oh, and the supposed ability to manually place files precisely where you want them to be on the hard drive? Doesn't work. I used it, over and over again, followed every direction, tip, tweak, etc I could find, and it simply wouldn't do exactly what it advertises. That's my experience, maybe yours will be better for you.

Did you try the Windows defrag utility?

Uhmmm... is that a joke, or are you just being facetious? :)

I did a "Defrag Shootout" comparing the top 7 defraggers that were available at the time, and yes the Windows default Defrag was tested also. I won't even tell you how long it took to clean up that 256K fragments... you wouldn't believe me if I did. Suffice to say it almost reached into the 3 digit range for hours. :)

Uhmmm... is that a joke, or are you just being facetious? :)

I did a "Defrag Shootout" comparing the top 7 defraggers that were available at the time, and yes the Windows default Defrag was tested also. I won't even tell you how long it took to clean up that 256K fragments... you wouldn't believe me if I did. Suffice to say it almost reached into the 3 digit range for hours. :)

Interesting.

Windows defrag always finishes overnight for me. I dunno how long it actually takes, but it's certainly not on the order of weeks.

*shrug*

Good enough, I guess.

I did a "Defrag Shootout" comparing the top 7 defraggers that were available at the time

I actually read that whole linked thread. Very informative! Did you happen to put your results on the net somewhere? I've played with most of the defraggers, but I'm no fanboy and will try Raxco again.

Thanks for the "Heads Up"!

bbz_Ghost ---

If you only had a single 1GB VOB on a 20GB partition, defrag time should be measured in minutes (under 5) not hours. I think you are misrepresenting your test.

If defragmenting is important, it is trivial to defrag 250GB in about the 2 hours you give as the best time for a single 1GB VOB on a 20GB partition.

bbz_Ghost ---

If you only had a single 1GB VOB on a 20GB partition, defrag time should be measured in minutes (under 5) not hours. I think you are misrepresenting your test.

If defragmenting is important, it is trivial to defrag 250GB in about the 2 hours you give as the best time for a single 1GB VOB on a 20GB partition.

Didn't you read? He said he split the file up to give it massive fragmentation.

Vista defrags my HDD for me once a week so i dont spend time worrying about defragging, it might not be the best, but it's plenty adequate

Vista defrags my HDD for me once a week so i dont spend time worrying about defragging, it might not be the best, but it's plenty adequate

No need to defrag your hard drive once a week unless you move a lot of data off the hard drive on a constant basis which will leave the fragmentation.

All Vista is doing is using resources that it doesn't need to for no good reason.

No need to defrag your hard drive once a week unless you move a lot of data off the hard drive on a constant basis which will leave the fragmentation.

All Vista is doing is using resources that it doesn't need to for no good reason.

actually i believe in the do a little more frequently than do a lot once in a while method, i would notice the machine bogging down for a few hours once a month much more than a few minutes once a week, besides, i have it set to do it at a time which doesnt conflict typically with anything, my machine is a web surfer, video/picture editor and 360 media server on occasion, not doing anything critical or gaming or anything like that

to be honest, i havent even noticed it happening....maybe because i am running a dual core cpu with 2 gigs of ram and 64bit OS? i dunno, but it works quite well, never have to even think about it, doesnt annoy me, etc.....

i love it

Back