UK Games Market Down 17.4% In 2012

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, video game sales in the UK are down 17.4% in 2012. Digital sales are actually up but those gains were not enough to offset the huge slump in retail packaged games. :(

The ERA has said that the UK video games market declined 17.4 per cent to £1.598bn in 2012. Those numbers include both physical and digital sales. In 2011 the UK games market was worth £1.934bn. All of this is despite gains in the digital sector. Digital video game sales grew 7.7 per cent in 2012 to £552.2m making video games the most valuable digital entertainment sector in the UK – although it also commands the slowest growth.

Mass Effect 3 (kind of like watching Blade Trinity, ruined five minutes in and you wince at every key moment for the rest of the game), Borderlands 2, Black Ops 2 (yeah I know, same s#!t, new box), Max Payne 3...nope can't think of anything else worthy of throwing money at.

Mass Effect 3 (kind of like watching Blade Trinity, ruined five minutes in and you wince at every key moment for the rest of the game), Borderlands 2, Black Ops 2 (yeah I know, same s#!t, new box), Max Payne 3...nope can't think of anything else worthy of throwing money at.

If it wasn't for the massive amount of game breaking bugs, I'd say ZombiU was a worthy game.

The TellTale adventure game series Walking Dead was really good, though. I didn't think so until I got partway into the second episode. Then it was pretty strong the entire way through.

Huh. Are digital sales less popular in the UK? It seems like they make up a bigger fraction of the US sales revenue and have higher growth.

Huh. Are digital sales less popular in the UK? It seems like they make up a bigger fraction of the US sales revenue and have higher growth.

That's harder to figure out in the US. Valve never releases sales data for Steam, so it requires people to try and esitmate what their sales are, and Steam is probably the biggest digital distribution method in the US right now.

Obviously because of piracy.. I mean look at the piracy in the movie industry and what happened to them!

Loads of good games came out this year. Far cry 3 , Dishonoured, Halo 4, XCOM enemy unknown ettc.

Thing is console gamers are piss bored of their machines,and need a generation jump to kick start the market. 7 years is way too long for a generation, apart from the obvious titles I have switched back to pc this year, many people simply stopped buying games

Loads of good games came out this year. Far cry 3 , Dishonoured, Halo 4, XCOM enemy unknown ettc.

Thing is console gamers are piss bored of their machines,and need a generation jump to kick start the market. 7 years is way too long for a generation, apart from the obvious titles I have switched back to pc this year, many people simply stopped buying games

I'd agree with X-com being a good game, but I would say that Dishonored was a disappointment. It's not a bad game, and I'm glad it came out, I just think it needs to be made bigger, with more options. The scope was a little too low, I guess would be the way I'd describe it.

The Wii U did come out, and it is a fairly powerful console, but it hasn't sold very much in the UK yet.

Been a while since I bought games in the UK, but I would imagine the PC games shelf is pretty much gone, and Game (Europe's equivalent of Game Stop) has gone bust so that probably didn't help. So your only choice is Amazon, Play, or STEAM and the other digital game sites, console games can be bought pretty much anywhere though, I used to buy games every month or so, times have changed, I moved to another country, and the game being produced are either the same with another number on the box, too bloody expensive (seriously Bethesda drop Skyrim's price below $29.99 and I'll buy it) or so bad I don't pay any interest to them (lack of demo's don't encourage me either, as my general rule is ingrained, "if there is no demo, then it's crap").

Isn't Europe supposedly in a recession - maybe people prefer food, clothing, housing, heat, water, and power over games

I remember when the gaming industry was supposedly recession proof circa mid 2000s.

Back