Uhh..Where are all the FPS PC games?

KillRoy X

Gawd
So this has been talked about before, the decline of the PC game, but it never seemed to happen. There always were the big titles coming out whether it be Far Cry, Doom, Half-Life 2, now Crysis, Far Cry 2, Fear 2...but now we seemed to be in a lull.

I am still playing STALKER CS, but it's not holding me like the first one. Still haven't played FEAR 2, but looking ahead, I'm not seeing the wave that once was.

E3 is over and although APB looks promising, the tradeshow seemed to hold onto the 360's Natal controller. (which is cool I have to say)

So I have this semi new computer, but it just doesn't feel like it did in the old days...maybe I'm just getting too old for this sh*t.

What about:

Rage
Doom 3
wolfenstien
Bioshock 2
Mafia 2
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Homefront
Borderlands
Left 4 Dead 2
Aliens vs Predator
Modern Warefare 2

Have you played any of these...

Call of Duty 4
Riddick: Dark Athena
Quantum of Solace
Dead Space (3rd person, but a spectacular game)

They could keep you thoroughly entertained until the new titles are released in the fall.

What about:

Rage
Doom 3
wolfenstien
Bioshock 2
Mafia 2
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Homefront
Borderlands
Left 4 Dead 2
Aliens vs Predator
Modern Warefare 2

Mafia 2 is a 3rd person game.

I loved Dead Space, favorite game of last year. I didn't play the new Riddick because I heard it was the original with a couple more levels.

However; Bioshock two and the new AVP are I guess my two that I'll be looking forward to the most. I just saw the E3 demo of AVP, wow, ok, maybe I jumped the gun by saying no big titles coming up in near future, that just looked great.

I know what you mean, my pc rig has been eating dust since fallout 3. There just aren't enough good quality releases on the pc. Think the op is on the right track though, it's been estimated that the computer gaming industry loses about 2-3 billion a year from piracy. People can just download cracked pc games from the net for relative ease, even new releases. Not so simple on the ps3 or 360, I think both require you modding it and most people aren't comfortable doing that. Plus the ps3 for example uses blu ray media for games...and blu ray writers and blu ray media is quite expensive right now. MGS4 uses a dual layer blu ray disc even.

Solution: Get a console while you wait for some descent pc games to come out. Or perhaps sell your pc rig before your hardware gets out dated, buy a console, and come back to pc gaming in a year or so and see if things got better.

I know what you mean, my pc rig has been eating dust since fallout 3. There just aren't enough good quality releases on the pc. Think the op is on the right track though, it's been estimated that the computer gaming industry loses about 2-3 billion a year from piracy. People can just download cracked pc games from the net for relative ease, even new releases. Not so simple on the ps3 or 360, I think both require you modding it and most people aren't comfortable doing that. Plus the ps3 for example uses blu ray media for games...and blu ray writers and blu ray media is quite expensive right now. MGS4 uses a dual layer blu ray disc even.

Solution: Get a console while you wait for some descent pc games to come out. Or perhaps sell your pc rig before your hardware gets out dated, buy a console, and come back to pc gaming in a year or so and see if things got better.

OMG what insight.

Lol, that was great. Preferring consoles to PC is one thing but to suggest to sell your PC gaming gear to buy console is just insane. Is this still [H] or is this wrong forum?

Don't get Quantum of Solace, its a bad console port and the levels design is very linear. I think the FPS is capped at 30fps and the graphics look horrible for the COD4 engine.

I agree its good to have a console too these days since there are a lot of good games for them, but I wouldn't suggest selling off the PC.

There's plenty of good games on PC, especially FPS. Those that say otherwise either don't look or are console fanboys.

There's plenty of good games on PC, especially FPS. Those that say otherwise either don't look or are console fanboys.

Uhh, I have a PS3 and I hate playing with controller + the shitty fps + inferior graphics kill it for me....

BUT, your statement is flat out wrong. Every game gets boring. Some people can play same game over and over again, others need something new.

COD5 has been out awhile and personally I kind of lost interest in it.
COD4 been out for over a year now and I really have no desire to return.
TF2 is actually fun now, but beginning to get boring.

Same can be said for any game really, and aside from Mafia 2.... I do not see anything to get excited over.

Hell, i used to upgrade my rig every 6-12 months so that I can run my games maxed. I haven't had the need to do that for ages now.... What does that tell you?

I'm obviously biased, but pc gaming has been taking a hit due to piracy more so than consoles. Various big name developers have stated that pc gaming piracy is part of the reason why they shy away from making games for the pc now.

I run gtx280 sli in my rig and it really doesn't get much better than that as far as pc graphics go. And I must say, after playing mgs4 on the ps3 through my 720p 32" monitor via HDMI, I found the graphics to be just as impressive as any other pc game I've played, and I've played all the good ones. The graphic potential of the PC is far greater than a console it seems, but it seems like developers struggle to get every ounce of that potential....while they can easily maximize that of any console game. So console graphics can be better and even offer a smoother gaming experience at times over the pc.

Last edited:
Gah! The very mention of this causes pleasure synapses to fire in my brain...

No kidding.

But Im in agreement that PC games are dwindling. Everything is console now and much of the big name games end up as crappy ports to the PC.
Might as well buy a Mac.

I'm obviously biased, but pc gaming has been taking a hit due to piracy more so than consoles. Various big name developers have stated that pc gaming piracy is part of the reason why they shy away from making games for the pc now.

I run gtx280 sli in my rig and it really doesn't get much better than that as far as pc graphics go. And I must say, after playing mgs4 on the ps3 through my 720p 32" monitor via HDMI, I found the graphics to be just as impressive as any other pc game I've played, and I've played all the good ones. The graphic potential of the PC is far greater than a console it seems, but it seems like developers struggle to get every ounce of that potential....while they can easily maximize that of any console game. So console graphics can be better and even offer a smoother gaming experience at times over the pc.

blaim stupid DRM for that,, way to many users with legit copies that cant install or even run games mostly where on consoles u dont have any of this kind of issues.

blaim stupid DRM for that,, way to many users with legit copies that cant install or even run games mostly where on consoles u dont have any of this kind of issues.

Yeah DRM is killing PC gaming more than anything. I can personally attest to it. My friend the other day wanted to load Far Cry 2, well he couldn't because he had installed it on his laptop and had to format a couple of times. 3 installs is all you get. He called customer support to no avail and was finally like "Fuck it" I'll just download it granted he had already bought the game but I can guarantee the next time a game comes out with DRM that a person wants to play there going to think twice about buying it and download it.Company's screw themselves.

I've played a few games like crysis warhead and far cry 2 which supposedly have DRM. Never had an issue with any of the games I played so far with DRM. I blame piracy, because if there were no piracy to begin with, then developers wouldn't have to install security features like DRM.

I loved Dead Space, favorite game of last year. I didn't play the new Riddick because I heard it was the original with a couple more levels.

However; Bioshock two and the new AVP are I guess my two that I'll be looking forward to the most. I just saw the E3 demo of AVP, wow, ok, maybe I jumped the gun by saying no big titles coming up in near future, that just looked great.

dead space is not a fps game :D:D:D:D

dead space is not a fps game :D:D:D:D

Correct it's not, but I had to include it, because it was that good.

So a couple more maybe I can look forward to that maybe somebody has mentioned is the new Wolfenstein FPS, that could be good. And how about id's Rage? Is the out in 09? I'm gonna do a search on it.

don't forget that Resident Evil 5 is coming to PC this summer/fall!!! :D

The last incredible FPS was ut99. But there's some decent stuff out there now like COD4+5, TF2, L4d.

but now we seemed to be in a lull.

It is in a lull, the mid-year lull, most of the big games come out around the holiday season (nov, dec, jan).

Also remember that it takes years, not months, to make a decent AAA game, and the development cycles are only getting longer, so after a wave of strong games from the major developers it'll be a few years before there's another wave from the same group.

There are a bunch of FPSs from the big players on the way (ID, for example, has at least three in development/co-development, Doom4, Rage, and the new Wolfenstein), they just aren't coming this year so there isn't that much buzz.

Wow....you do realize that this is [H] right. And you just suggested that we all sell our PCs for a downgrade to a console with inferior (for the most part) games. You might be the biggest idiot that I know.

Wow....you do realize that this is [H] right. And you just suggested that we all sell our PCs for a downgrade to a console with inferior (for the most part) games. You might be the biggest idiot that I know.

I touched my kids Wii controller and I swear it burned me :eek:

I kind of agree with the OP, I haven't seen a new FPS game that looked half decent since Crysis Warhead.

Those are all very good points however your username leads me to believe you're a little biased. :rolleyes:

. And I must say, after playing mgs4 on the ps3 through my 720p 32" monitor via HDMI, I found the graphics to be just as impressive as any other pc game I've played, and I've played all the good ones.

That was my favorite part. 720P?! R U SERIUS!?

I've been playing CoD:WaW recently. Pretty decent game to tide me over till MW2 comes out.

Beyond that, I really am pumped for the fall/winter.. looks to be a pretty decent launch of some great titles.

I've been playing CoD:WaW recently. Pretty decent game to tide me over till MW2 comes out.

Beyond that, I really am pumped for the fall/winter.. looks to be a pretty decent launch of some great titles.

I almost never play games twice. However, COD5 I played through SP several times. So fun!

Now that I'm starting to get less busy for once, I'm going to try out COD1, 2 and that expansion.

I almost never play games twice. However, COD5 I played through SP several times. So fun!

Now that I'm starting to get less busy for once, I'm going to try out COD1, 2 and that expansion.

Indeed. Running it through with a friend on online co-op with a friend on skype is insanely fun too.

Indeed. Running it through with a friend on online co-op with a friend on skype is insanely fun too.

Oops. Yeah, I played it through Co-op like 2x. Then I just completed the SP mode several days ago.

Both were great fun. What I liked about SP was that you could see the video clips, so you got more emotional and a sense of "purpose" especially when the game ended. I also liked the maps that weren't in co-op.

The zombie mode is super boring tho. Just terrible.

Back