Ugly GPUs

I remember some of these ugly ass cards. Even had several of them. I had almost forgotten about the mascot cards Ruby and whatever chick Nvidia came up with for that series.
Nothing tops Nividia's GeForce 7 series mascot. Mad Mod Mike. I have no idea who at NVidia approved that decision for a mascot. I mean, clearly, he looked like the 7800 series' target audience but what I don't understand is why NVidia's marketing team thought that this was a good thing or that it would compel said people to buy a 7800. It's like they had the same problem as the writers on Star Trek TNG had when they thought adding Wesley Crusher would make kids want to watch Star Trek when kids clearly hated Wesley and just wanted to watch Captain Picard. ATI had Ruby at the time and it just made way more sense on so many marketing levels:

NVidia:
VI0HgT.jpg

ATI:
4gJmbAb9u6xp1kr9Q5qdy1_odS1TW1_QxzDQFZ98Hio.jpg

Nothing tops Nividia's GeForce 7 series mascot. Mad Mod Mike. I have no idea who at NVidia approved that decision for a mascot. I mean, clearly, he looked like the 7800 series' target audience but what I don't understand is why NVidia's marketing team thought that this was a good thing or that it would compel said people to buy a 7800. It's like they had the same problem as the writers on Star Trek TNG had when they thought adding Wesley Crusher would make kids want to watch Star Trek when kids clearly hated Wesley and just wanted to watch Captain Picard. ATI had Ruby at the time and it just made way more sense on so many marketing levels:

NVidia:
View attachment 543922

ATI:
View attachment 543923
I know its totally teenage gamer level marketing, but I do miss this era. Ruby was cool and Nvidia did have some cool ones from time to time.

I know its totally teenage gamer level marketing, but I do miss this era. Ruby was cool and Nvidia did have some cool ones from time to time.
Well it was back in 2005, a time when it was OK for companies to acknowledge the reality that men enjoy the beauty of the female form. It would never fly today because it is too "offensive" to the feminists, also getting men thinking about women this way can result in new humans being born which goes against Agenda 2030.

I am not that old and I wish that I could travel back in time to this era or the 90's, things were just so much better then. People could just embrace their human nature and be free to go about their lives.

Runs a 1700X garbage CPU and RTX 2080. Considers himself hard. :rolleyes:
Also everyone can have their own opinion. That GPU had some of the best thermals of any 3000 series card I owned and I owned almost 20 of them from different brands.
[H]ard is what you push your self to. We weren't a snotty mouth bunch of brats back in the day KAC. Most of us had to work, struggle and cop a rig together. My rig plays my VR well. Do I need to join your douche gang just to say I can enjoy?
Give your head a shake boss!

[H]ard is what you push your self to. We weren't a snotty mouth bunch of brats back in the day KAC. Most of us had to work, struggle and cop a rig together. My rig plays my VR well. Do I need to join your douche gang just to say I can enjoy?
Give your head a shake boss!

[H]ard is buying the most beautiful parts and crafting an elaborate hard tube liquid cooled rig with elaborate lighting in a fancy case to draw the eye.

[H]ard is buying the absolute most performant bits money can buy, de-lidding your CPU, mounting a direct-die cooler and running them on a stripped-down OS to get the very best peak performance, electricity bill be damned.

[H]ard is taking your existing rig and plumbing in a custom soft-tube loop simply to reduce noise and/or to increase cooling capacity.

[H]ard is submerging a mainboard and cards in a tank with non-conductive cooling fluid and a circulating pump for the hell of it.

[H]ard is buying an AMD RX-480 when they were new, discovering nobody made a full-coverage block for your model because who could possibly want to liquid cool such a cheap card, and then rigging up your own liquid cooling for it with a generic GPU core block, some VRM liquid cooling blocks, and some heatsinks on the RAM chips.

[H]ard is using an automotive heater core and an aquarium pump on your home-made block because no commercial company at the time made anything so elegant as a liquid cooling system for home PCs.

In these forums, you will find all of this, and more.

[H]ard is buying the most beautiful parts and crafting an elaborate hard tube liquid cooled rig with elaborate lighting in a fancy case to draw the eye.

[H]ard is buying the absolute most performant bits money can buy, de-lidding your CPU, mounting a direct-die cooler and running them on a stripped-down OS to get the very best peak performance, electricity bill be damned.

[H]ard is taking your existing rig and plumbing in a custom soft-tube loop simply to reduce noise and/or to increase cooling capacity.

[H]ard is submerging a mainboard and cards in a tank with non-conductive cooling fluid and a circulating pump for the hell of it.

[H]ard is buying an AMD RX-480 when they were new, discovering nobody made a full-coverage block for your model because who could possibly want to liquid cool such a cheap card, and then rigging up your own liquid cooling for it with a generic GPU core block, some VRM liquid cooling blocks, and some heatsinks on the RAM chips.

[H]ard is using an automotive heater core and an aquarium pump on your home-made block because no commercial company at the time made anything so elegant as a liquid cooling system for home PCs.

Sometimes [H] is pretty. Sometimes it's butt ugly but fast. Sometimes it's both, depending on the angle. [H] is doing something crazy or pushing the boundaries.

Some of my boxes are black and quiet - Asus SAGE boards or ASRock Rack WS boards don't have RGB after all. Others are bling and soft tubing and just as fast - but might as well make it pretty. It all depends on the goal of the build. I've got color matched fans in some, and good ol' brown-ass Noctua in others. Both are [H]. I appreciate both; people should generally appreciate and respect (at least) the work that goes into either, regardless of eye-candy, speed, or both.

I saw an oil submerged pc at Quakecon years ago, and later worked with someone else who had one here in town. No other cooling that I remember.

[H] is doing everything you can to get the most out of the silicon you have, and to have fun doing it. RGB included, lol.

Scratch built cases.

Amazing and beautiful art piece case mods.

Getting the top spot on Timespy leader board.

Buying the fastest GPU, and then OC'ing the hell out of it.

Driver and registry hacks.

Your definition. ***too personal***
[Hard] is making your shit work with what you have. It is about the [O]ver [C]lock [P]otential. All you did was wag a bunch of fancy shit in our face. That isn't [H] that is just wankerism yo! Go ask your mum for an upgrade and see what she says

Last edited:
[Hard] is making your shit work with what you have. It is about the [O]ver [C]lock [P]otential. All you did was wag a bunch of fancy shit in our face. That isn't [H] that is just wankerism yo! Go ask your mum for an upgrade and see what she says

My Ryzen 7950X says I don't need an upgrade, which is a pretty good thing since my mother has been dead for quite some time now. Your signature indicates that you might benefit from asking your mother for one, though. Good luck with that.

I actually thought I heard back in the day it was [O]verclockers [C]omparison [P]age

That is merely one definition. A lot of the builds here have ~always~ been about top-end kit, extreme cooling, etc - things that you barely see in the real world. And lots have been normal consumer kit pushed to the max. Or low-budget crank as far as you can. All are welcome. I started on one end and moved to the other, as did many here. And every example he gave was from posts on this very forum (I remember the heater block one - that was amazing, and hilarious). I've done all the rest except the RX480 one, because I don't bother futzing around with build-from-scratch blocks anymore (prefer EK or Optimus).

That is merely one definition. A lot of the builds here have ~always~ been about top-end kit, extreme cooling, etc - things that you barely see in the real world. And lots have been normal consumer kit pushed to the max. Or low-budget crank as far as you can. All are welcome. I started on one end and moved to the other, as did many here. And every example he gave was from posts on this very forum (I remember the heater block one - that was amazing, and hilarious). I've done all the rest except the RX480 one, because I don't bother futzing around with build-from-scratch blocks anymore (prefer EK or Optimus).

The RX480 was me personally, actually. There's a picture of that monstrosity on here somewhere... :) That card went to my Uncle last year and got put back on the air cooler, but that RX480 spent 4 or 5 years rigged up like that.

Man I'm old... But I'm really [H]ard....

I used a custom loop, pond pump, combined with a peltier, a custom bios, Zalman copper on the memory, and a hardware mod to make a FX 5900 more or less double it's performance. This was on an VIA Apollo Pro 133a chipset and dual Pentium 800 Coppermines running around 950Mhz- STABLE.

Though, I had no window on the case: I still stuck a white cold cathode in it and ran with the side off.

After that I got hold of a couple of GTX 295s and ran quad SLI for a while after switching to AMD. That case had a crappy window... I kept the cold cathode.

Before that I had a Helmwind Qualification card from Apple (PPC 604) which was rated at 133Mhz: Top speed after hardware mods and cooling mods: 450Mhz.

The only thing missing from the 604 mod? No cold cathode.

You want to talk [H]ard?

Here's [H]ard: I don't have any of that shit anymore. But I still have the cold cathode.

You little girls with your purchased performance and fancy LEDs aren't [H]ard.... Bet you don't have any cold cathodes either. You are mildly firm. Not [H]ard.

Back