ugh...iTunes: Worst software *EVER*

The only time I have had problems with iTunes is when I was running Betas of the newest version of Windows, so prior to Vista being out, and prior to 7 coming out. Otherwise no issues at all. I have used iTunes on XP, and Vista. Though XP 32, and Vista 64 and 32 without any issues.

Does your PC crash with other applications?

No offense, but I don't believe you for a MOMENT that you've been using it on a PC and it's been "fast and stable". iTunes has NEVER been fast on a PC, and it's become less stable with every new release.

That said, I hear-though I do take it with a grain of salt-that the mac version is a whole different animal, and if that's what you're referring to, that's all well and good. But I've used the PC version on a wide variety of hardware, with numerous versions of Windows, for YEARS--and it's never, EVER been very fast or particularly stable.

I'm guessing PEBCAK is at work here.

Exactly what "version" of windows are you using that doesnt support Itunes?
I have used the program on XP, Vista32 and 64 and now on W7 Ultimate32 and 64 and have never had a problem.

XP x64. It's never been officially supported by Apple. Versions 7 and 8 worked just fine with it, if you modified the installer to accept XP's version number rather than Vista's. 9 isn't quite so friendly though - the iPod service doesn't want to install at all. I've read that newer devices don't use that service (ok with me and my iPhone 3G), but I haven't taken much time to really muck around with it yet.

iTunes has always run fast on all computers I've tried it on, except my old iMac but that was just because it was a 233MHz machine. :p I'm sorry that you're having problems, but I would just like to point out that NO, in fact, iTunes doesn't suck on every single machine. I've run it on a regular basis on, letseee... six different Macs, I think, and probably about as many Windows machines. Ran fine on all of them. It's probably crashed a few times, but no more often than any other software. It's never been the speediest of softwares, but never any slower than any other cataloging software I've tried.

YMMV :confused:

lolz I've been using Winamps with the classic (old-borung black and green windows) all my life and iTunes, compared to Winamps is just a slow ass both performance wise and function wise. Seriously, Winamps are much better making playlist :D

lolz I've been using Winamps with the classic (old-borung black and green windows) all my life and iTunes, compared to Winamps is just a slow ass both performance wise and function wise. Seriously, Winamps are much better making playlist :D

I never really got into winamp. :p

XP 64, like CrimandEvil said, no one supports. The bastard step child of OSes is what XP 64 is like.

As I said before, I have used iTunes on my windows machines way before I started using it on a Mac. Very rarely did I have a problem with iTunes, oh sure there was that bad update that came out a few times, but if I was having problems with iTunes I was generally having other issues with the computer and it was time to reformat.

See, iTunes is a complete piece of shit application. It's slow, it's cumbersome, it crashes constantly.

On Windows, yeah I can believe that. But not the OS X version. It's rock solid and fast. The Windows version of iTunes, much like Quicktime and Safari, is NOTHING in terms of stability like the OS X version. Even so, it's not nearly as bad as your little rant makes it out to be.

And whoever is still running XP 64 needs to have their head checked.

You know what's funny? I've had the OSX version crash on me before but never the windows version. Go figure.

Exactly what "version" of windows are you using that doesnt support Itunes?
I have used the program on XP, Vista32 and 64 and now on W7 Ultimate32 and 64 and have never had a problem. The program runs smoothly and acts exactly how its suppose to. I have never had Itunes "crash" on my system either. I also have my entire Itunes media stored on an external drive and have never had a problem with the program finding it.

iTunes isn't supported on 2k, XP 64bit or Server 2003.

Does anyone know how to make live messenger behave like on Xp/Vista - ie to go in the icon tray?

Wrong forum dude... but right click and tell it to use compatibility mode for Vista, and it will work like it used to.

I have to admit that the Windows version of iTunes was the sole reason I avoided iPods for so many years. However, iTunes 7 eliminated almost every one of my complaints. I haven't used the Windows version since switching to a Mac a few years ago, but I can't imagine they actually made the software worse in the recent versions.

Short answer: It's Windows and your PC. ;)

The software itself, ugliness aside, seems stable and reasonably fast, however it's not very well threaded under Windows - a simple operation can freeze the UI. I was surprised to notice the same thing under the Mac iTunes on my new i5 Mac, which was surprising because I thought Grand Central Dispatch was supposed to solve exactly this sort of thing.

Wrong forum dude... but right click and tell it to use compatibility mode for Vista, and it will work like it used to.

Yeah, but the topic is sort of the same... taskbar and stuff...

Thanks btw - will try that when I get into W7.

iTunes is one of the many things I hate about Apple. If you're looking for alternatives...

On windows?
Media Monkey (Gold) - Has a hack for iPhones and iPodTouches. Not sure if its up to speed for the latest firmware.
Foobar2000 + iPod plugin - Also, sometimes works with iPhone/iTouch depending on the firmware
Winamp - The great program we all remember, but alas even Mlipod doesn't work for iPhones anymore. Classic iPods, still safe.
Songbird - Excellent Player, if you don't need iPhone/Touch support, and open source!

On Linux -
RhythmBox - New "premiere" Gnome/GTK full featured music player. Works with most iPods including iPhone through GTKPOD. Unsure if its up to 3.0 firmware compatible
Amarok - What many consider the best "full featured" music player on Linux. Amarok 2 is part of the KDE4 suite, and polished on Linux as iTunes is on the Mac.
Audacious - Awesome minimalistic "Winamp 2"/XMMS like media player, but it also has web stream browsers, LastFM support, and lots more. Not sure how it interacts with portable media players, however
Songbird - Cross platform and on Linux as well, Songbird is something of the "Firefox" of media players. It is a little more bloat-y than other options, but has great features and compatibility.

I was surprised to notice the same thing under the Mac iTunes on my new i5 Mac, which was surprising because I thought Grand Central Dispatch was supposed to solve exactly this sort of thing.

GCD is like any other API - developers need to write specific code in their application to implement its functionality.

The software itself, ugliness aside, seems stable and reasonably fast, however it's not very well threaded under Windows - a simple operation can freeze the UI. I was surprised to notice the same thing under the Mac iTunes on my new i5 Mac, which was surprising because I thought Grand Central Dispatch was supposed to solve exactly this sort of thing.

Itunes is one of the last remaining Apple Carbon apps. I would be very surprised if Itunes version 10 was not fully Cocoa and 64-bit.

so i just bought an iphone. the phone is fine, but itunes sucks.

it tells me my phone cant play .JPGs, so it wont tranfer them.
it tells me my phone cant play podcasts, so it wont transfer them.
it tells me my phone cant play .HTMLs, so it wont transfer them.

my phone cant make a playlist. wtf?
my phone cant view "Artist - Song Name" in an alphabetical list.

i can put mp3s on it and thats it. and i cant get them off.
and no i dont want to sync a 2 TB media library to a 16GB iphone 3GS

the only thing i can think of is that windows users do alot more with their computers than apple users.

drag files on, drag files off. thats all i want.

i think i need to rma this thing since it doesnt view photos or webpages.

+1 for Foobar2000. Much more customizable, stable, responsive, logical, friendly, and just all-round better than iTunes will ever be.

they should just make this the default option imo
Whoever in Apple decided people need 2 music libraries in their computer is a douchebag. That option sucks, it copies everything, turns it into aac, and organizes it so only iTunes has any idea how it's organized.

+1 for Foobar2000. Much more customizable, stable, responsive, logical, friendly, and just all-round better than iTunes will ever be.

Whoever in Apple decided people need 2 music libraries in their computer is a douchebag. That option sucks, it copies everything, turns it into aac, and organizes it so only iTunes has any idea how it's organized.

i simply delete the original source after adding to my library, if you are converting directly from a cd, then this option works even better...and i dont have itunes convert my music files. its not that hard, really. once itunes has a complete library organized it works very well imo, as long as all the song id tags are correct. otherwise you get weird folder names/layouts.

yeah, I have itunes leave my music alone. It doesn't move it. It doesn't covert it. But I can still add it to the library and maintain my own organization.

so i just bought an iphone. the phone is fine, but itunes sucks.

it tells me my phone cant play .JPGs, so it wont tranfer them.
it tells me my phone cant play podcasts, so it wont transfer them.
it tells me my phone cant play .HTMLs, so it wont transfer them.

my phone cant make a playlist. wtf?
my phone cant view "Artist - Song Name" in an alphabetical list.

i can put mp3s on it and thats it. and i cant get them off.
and no i dont want to sync a 2 TB media library to a 16GB iphone 3GS

the only thing i can think of is that windows users do alot more with their computers than apple users.

drag files on, drag files off. thats all i want.

i think i need to rma this thing since it doesnt view photos or webpages.

In all honestly my friend, if you are not completely enamored with the iPhone otherwise, take it back. You are constantly going to be battling, jailbreaking, using plugins that break every update, and using arcane SSH hacks to use your phone your way, if you can at al. If the Apple way doesn't agree with you as it doesn't with me and you're within your return period, take it back!

I highly suggest the Nokia N900 device. It runs Linux (Maemo is literally debian linux for ARM,with a couple of Nokia additions). You can program for it in any language, and run just about any Linux app that has been ported (Mplayer, any codecs of your choice etc.). If you want total control of your phone, Maemo is the best option and the N900 has some pretty great hardware too. The only thing is, you won't get 3G for ATT (You will for T-mobile), and right now you can only buy it full price without a contract direct from merchants like Amazon and Newegg.

If the N900 is not right for you, there are many Android phones out there that are considerably more open then the iPhone, and most are sold in the US by T-Mobile.

i hate itunes and how it always messes up my playlist like where im at in my list of songs. I always end up back down to the beginning which sucks, cause i gotta scroll through it again

Remember the good o'll days of Winamp? Things were so manual those days lol.

iTunes is getting more and more bloated and more of a memory hog. When I try to quit now, it tells me iTunes is still doing something, no matter how long I wait and/or disconnect my iPod. Half the time I'm just using VLC these days to play a song I really want to hear from my own organized library.

Windows user here...honestly I never have a problem with Itunes and dont really understand what people are complaining about, and Im using it on W7/64.
And to the poster above..I have an Iphone and I have all my pictures on it, folders and folders of pictures. You can make playlists, you just have to make them in itunes. My Iphone plays podcasts. You can remove any music you want, you just have to do it through Itunes. I add and remove all the time.

Last edited:
Remember the good o'll days of Winamp? Things were so manual those days lol.

iTunes is getting more and more bloated and more of a memory hog. When I try to quit now, it tells me iTunes is still doing something, no matter how long I wait and/or disconnect my iPod. Half the time I'm just using VLC these days to play a song I really want to hear from my own organized library.

i still use winamp lol
i like its tiny bar thing when you double click on it

iTunes hasn't been that bad for me honestly it never crashes, I have a managable 2500 songs, and I manage the music on my ipod manually. I'm using Windows 7 64.

Honestly, I've never had any problems with iTunes on my Mac or my PCs. I've got about 8000 songs and 4 different iPods that I manage with it.

iTunes hasn't been that bad for me honestly it never crashes, I have a managable 2500 songs, and I manage the music on my ipod manually. I'm using Windows 7 64.

41432 songs in mine and it works just fine. A little slow sometimes when it's checking the music library but it works just fine.

I've never seen iTunes crash, actually, but I still don't like it. It's too slow for what it does, both on my old X6800 and new Core i7 965, it doesn't watch folders so you have to add music to it everytime you get new music (unless you buy it from itunes store of course), and it's not much joy to manage, for instance I can't seem to figure out how to change movie genres. Right now all my down-converted blu-ray rips and music videos are grouped together in itunes, with WMP you just click in the genre field and select edit, but I doubt it would do any good since I don't think the iphone understands movie genres any way, which is another sucky thing. I guess I'll just rename all my blu-ray rips to _* or something unless someone has a better idea? It installs a bunch of shit, like 5 services and background programs, not a big deal I guess but just seems sloppy. The grey theme is ugly, and so on. O well, I like the the iphone (except I'm lucky if I can pull up a web page at all where-ever I go) so I guess I'll live with it.

Wow. So much fail in that post that it almost hurts my head to read it....

Back