Ubuntu Forums Hacked Again, 2M Users Exposed

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jul 20, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Bad news for anyone that uses the Ubuntu forums. It looks as though the Ubuntu forums have been hacked again. Canonical CEO Jane Silber is downplaying the breach saying that even though the hacker downloaded portions of the ‘user’ table which contained usernames, email addresses and IPs for 2 million users, the attacker was not able to gain access to valid user passwords.

Canonical’s Ubuntu Forums have been hacked, and the attacker has managed to access and download part of the Forums database, containing usernames, email addresses and IPs for 2 million users. The company discovered the compromise after being notified that someone was claiming to have a copy of the Forums database.

2. wizzi01

wizzi01 2[H]4U

This has to be a joke. Linux is so secure it cannot be hacked......

Staples likes this.
  3. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Anything and everything can be hacked if someone is determined enough. Look at what StuxNet did to the Iranian nuclear program, and they weren't even on the public internet!

Having a well patched and up to date *nix box makes things harder for the attacker, but there is no such thing as an unhackable system. Software is infinitely complex, and there will always be holes. The best thing we can do is patch them quickly as they are discovered, and this is where Linux tends to excel.

4. wizzi01

wizzi01 2[H]4U

Oh I know I am making fun of the people who like to run their mouths about Linux being secure.

5. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

So youre razzing linux because of a forum hack? K.

caddys83, Red Falcon and Ur_Mom like this.
  6. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

+1 for Olympic Games, OG! We would have never even heard of it if the Israelis didn't fubar the code.

7. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

I tell my boss all the time is is about the number of eyes on the problem 5 people actively working to secure it, thousands of people actively trying to break it who are just as smart as the people trying to secure it. It is a simple numbers problem, the hackers have more resources and man power to throw at the issue, they will always find a way in. So I tell her policy should be to limit what you put online and the details you share because you can't hack information that isn't there.

8. shspvr

shspvr Gawd

Keep in mind board forums is vBulletin and there are diff then the OS it self

Red Falcon and Ur_Mom like this.
  9. wizzi01

wizzi01 2[H]4U

Looks like I hurt some feelings making a joke. Is it hard to pull the stick out of your ass?

10. shspvr

shspvr Gawd

You didn't hurt my feelings one bit

11. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

Maybe you just suck at jokes? Don't quit your day job.