Ubuntu alternative?

Imaulle

[H]ard|Gawd
So rumor has it that the next update to Ubuntu is gonna include ads. I've absolutely loved Ubuntu 12.04 as my first linux distro since forever being on Windows but ads are going to kill it for me. Are there any distos I can try that are similar / maybe better? thanks homies

okay yeah I'm retarded sorry everybody.

can just do:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping --purge

everyone keeps saying I should try Mint so I guess I will give it a go on my laptop that I never use

Mint behaves more or less like pre-Unity Ubuntu, but with all the drivers and compatibility of current Ubuntu.

Highly recommended.

Your hardest choice is going to be which Window manager you prefer.

There are two options that behave like the old Gnome 2; Cinnamon and MATE.

They each take a slightly different approach. Mate forked out of Gnome 2, and is thus based on the Gnome 2 code base. Cinnamon is based on the Gnome 3 code base, but reskinned to look and behave like Gnome 2.

I chose Cinnamon, but I probably would have been happy with MATE as well.

You also - of course have the options of KDE or XFCE.

I am also going to give #! a try after enjoying Ubuntu for years. I didn't care much for Xubuntu or Kubuntu, and Unity always seems to be giving me issues. Moving around in Crunchbang is effortless with Openbox, so perhaps it'll be my new favorite distro. :)

I believe you can use Cinnamon in Ubuntu if you'd prefer not to re-install to Mint.

Canonical has been pissing me off lately and I may be switching over to Cinnamon or look for another usable GNOME3-based shell.

I believe you can use Cinnamon in Ubuntu if you'd prefer not to re-install to Mint.

Canonical has been pissing me off lately and I may be switching over to Cinnamon or look for another usable GNOME3-based shell.

Yeah, their approach to desktop linux has been less and less appealing to me over time.

I've been using Mint for my desktop for a while now.

I still use Ubuntu on my headless server though, as it still works really well.

been playing with Mint on my X220 for the last week and I think I prefer Ubuntu. At least on my desktop

If you're going to put Linux on your laptop and the laptop has optimus, I believe Manjaro is the only distro to support it so far. I would like to see XFCE and Cinnamon to support it here soon also.

I switched to Mint Mate 13 after Ubuntu 10.10. Mint have a commercial deal with Yahoo and insert Yahoo search in your browser in a way that you can't use Google, it borders on malware but can be removed... also networking is broken on all my Mint installs, still anything is better than Unity.

I am a fan of mint, but not a fan of their "reinstall from scratch" upgrade policy.

I've found Xubuntu much better than ubuntu (UGH UNITY) and mint (UGH no upgrades).

I am a fan of mint, but not a fan of their "reinstall from scratch" upgrade policy.

I've found Xubuntu much better than ubuntu (UGH UNITY) and mint (UGH no upgrades).

You can force Mint to do a dist upgrade, just like Ubuntu does. They just recommend against it. Google for directions.

I tend to agree with the Mint team though.

Any time you "upgrade" an OS, it usually winds up turning to shit, whether it is Windows, Linux or anything else. I only ever do clean installs, with one major exception, and that's if you have a truly rolling release OS, like Gentoo, where there really isn't a versioning system, and just by keeping up with updates, the OS is continually the latest rev, but if its even a partial rolling release schedule, I'll always do a full upgrade.

MInt, is great. Debian is great as well. jut tried ubuntu 12.04 lts the other day and the new ubuntu software center is really bad. Trying to install a .deb file took several tries. Also seemed to get really laggy after using it for like an hour without rebooting. Both on my netbook and on my 3770k build with an SSD. Never had this issue with older versions or mint.

I love XFCE as well. Unlike Unity, gnome 3, and KDE (got way too bloated and confusing with version 4). XFCE is still lite, and great. Glad they didn't change their course and kept it functional.

Last edited:
Back