Uber Says No Guns In Cars

Zarathustra[H];1041683296 said:
You do realize that illegal guns flow FROM the U.S. to Mexico, because they are so much more readily available here than they are in Mexico, right?
Most of the guns that the Cartel gets are from South America since they are sold for much cheaper and much easily. Plus a significant number of weapons are stolen from the Mexican military every year. The AK variants for example do come from South America which is a far more popular weapon among the cartel. Over 90% of weapons confiscated were not traced back to the United States. The 10% of weapons however had about 80-90% traced back to the United States.
https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20110209-mexicos-gun-supply-and-90-percent-myth
Basically if the Mexican Military suspected the weapon came from the United States, they are more likely to get a hit. If they don't suspect it came from the United States because it's an AK variant or something else, they don't bother. Hence it's why it's assumed that most weapons come from the United States.

As far as who gets guns and who doesnt, if criminals can so easily obtain a firearm then how come all crimes arent committed with firearms? I mean what guy would just to break into a house armed with a knife and crowbar instead of the easily available 9mm he supposedly can just pick up from the local crack dealer on the block?

Check a few posts above and look at the mass killings in Australia. Even when firearms become less available people seem to be able to carry out mass killings with equal casualty numbers.

Petty crimes/individual murder rates don't seem to be effected much at all either. When the UK enacted strict gun control petty crime rates increased rather than decreased, for example.

Zarathustra[H];1041683169 said:
Every other argument, be it self/home defense, standing up to tyranny, etc. etc. all fall apart upon closer examination, and looking at real world statistics.

At the same time, we can also look at gun control as being ineffective at preventing crime. Again as mentioned posts back, Switzerland, in which you can readily buy much more types of firearms has a lower murder rate than Sweden. A large percentage of males there are issued an assault rifle which they must keep at home, and hunting is not that popular. The most common types of arms tend to be semi automatic rifles/pistols. Lax gun laws, lots of "deadly" weapons & a high firearm ownership per capita yet there are so few murders.

As far as "Criminals can easily get guns, so if we ban guns only criminals would have guns" argument goes, let's remember WHY criminals can easily get guns. It's because they are EVERYWHERE. To paraphrase the slogan, 100% of illegal obtained guns start out as legally produced guns. There are no "illegal gun factories" out there.

You'd be mistaken. Plenty of factories in Pakistan, the Philippines ect. which sell only to the black market. The Chinese frequently sell firearms to unstable countries and criminal organization. They are the only country that isn't required to put serial numbers on their small arms. They are huge in the shady arms market.

And significant numbers of firearms are taken by the police/military. Take Mexico as an example, where issued weapons are taken by defecting police/military personal. Same for the hundreds of thousands of cold war era small arms still in circulation.

The only way to stop criminals from getting guns is to remove the legal guns, so they don't trickle down into the hands of criminals.

If we get rid of small arms, then we will have unarmed police & no infantry. The majority of black market weapons (world wide) come from those two sources.

In Australia after their infamous 1996 mass shooting, they took action, and banned guns. Previously they had on average on mass shooting a year. There hasn't been a single one since.

Again, already covered. Mass murders still occur with similar fatalities. The only difference is that they are not using firearms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_mass_murders

15 killed in an arson.
11 killed in an arson.
8 stabbed to death.
5 bludgeoned to death.

Average firearm mass killings were around 5-7, save for the outlier of Port Aurthur. Doesn't seem like much has changed. Getting high numbers of casualties is more location/time dependent than weapon when you're dealing with unarmed targets. If anything, the fatality rate seems to be increasing.

We can look to a large number of countries which have seen gun control do essentially nothing to curb the crime rate.

Most of the guns that the Cartel gets are from South America since they are sold for much cheaper and much easily. Plus a significant number of weapons are stolen from the Mexican military every year. The AK variants for example do come from South America which is a far more popular weapon among the cartel. Over 90% of weapons confiscated were not traced back to the United States. The 10% of weapons however had about 80-90% traced back to the United States.
https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20110209-mexicos-gun-supply-and-90-percent-myth
Basically if the Mexican Military suspected the weapon came from the United States, they are more likely to get a hit. If they don't suspect it came from the United States because it's an AK variant or something else, they don't bother. Hence it's why it's assumed that most weapons come from the United States.

Also this. I forgot which country it was, but a certain Central American country is supplying a significant number of AKs to the cartels. The AKs come from the PRC. M4/M16s are also popular and the Chinese sell them for cheap. More and more of these have been showing up around the world.

Last I checked, a Chinese M16A1 clone went for $400 in Canada. And guns are pricey up there. No doubt they're selling them for ~$200 or so in bulk. Read an article a while back of Kurdish forces who are getting spare parts for their M4/M16s from the Chinese to.

If the second amendment is in place to allow citizens to overthrow the government my question is .... well .... why haven't you?

- Multiple illegal wars of aggression
- Massive domestic wiretapping and surveillance programs
- Corporate bailouts using taxpayer money
- Ever increasing income inequity
- A government controlled by lobbyists
- Extreme partisan politics

How much worse does it need to get?

Because too many people buy into the governments bullshit of "we do it to protect you!"

Interesting, but how does Uber square this kind of centralized decision-making from their position that "drivers aren't employed by us, we merely connect independent workers to potential customers."

It seems that, if Uber is controlling the working conditions/policies like this, then the drivers really are W2 employees.

Ask Chicago how well gun control laws work

Localized gun control doesn't work. Criminals can just bring em from out of city/state.
The only thing that works is country wide gun control. it's proven.
But american was founded on guns, and guns made america possible. So we should/will never see it here.
You can move to Australia or UK, etc if you want to be free of guns.

Localized gun control doesn't work. Criminals can just bring em from out of city/state.
The only thing that works is country wide gun control. it's proven.
But american was founded on guns, and guns made america possible. So we should/will never see it here.
You can move to Australia or UK, etc if you want to be free of guns.

Neither of those countries are gun free, legally or illegally.

You have a point, why do we even have any laws at all? Criminals are just going to break them!

No, you misunderstand his point. the point is that Laws do not prevent anything. Laws provide justification for punishment of illegal behavior/actions. The problems start when people start thinking laws can be used as a preventative mechanism. This is simply mistaken thinking.

Flogger is correct. There is no such thing as working gun control. There is no country in the world free of illegally owned guns. I would add, some countries have fewer repeat offenders :D

Interesting, but how does Uber square this kind of centralized decision-making from their position that "drivers aren't employed by us, we merely connect independent workers to potential customers."

It seems that, if Uber is controlling the working conditions/policies like this, then the drivers really are W2 employees.

And there you have it. Frankly the government should squash uber like a bad zit. They want everything their way in order to maximize profits and minimaize risks which in itself is perfectly normal, but they don't want to play within the bounderies. I think the Fed should shut them down if they refuse to adopt a traditional business profile and apply by all applicable State and Federal laws.

That may seem harsh to some of you, but if the Feds don't put a stop to uber's BS, other companies will simply "divest" themselves of the trapings of legitimant business and it will all go to hell real fast.

Maybe some of you like that idea, but for others, we are not so interested in forfeiting our 401Ks, etc, ad nausium.

Flogger is correct. There is no such thing as working gun control. There is no country in the world free of illegally owned guns. I would add, some countries have fewer repeat offenders :D

I remember back in the 80's when they were debating the need to change DUI laws in the USA ... they were comparing our lax laws with much stronger laws in other countries ... El Salvador had the lowest incidence of repeat offenders since your first offense was your last offense (they shot you :) )

There will always be violent crime from lunatics (as they are not motivated by reason) but if we had an automatic +10 years without parole for crimes involving guns and automatic death penalty for any non self defense crimes that result in a death, we would see a lot less usage and certainly fewer repeat offenders (as that is the biggest selling point for the death penalty ... it prevents repeat offenses :cool: )

Remember all the pipe bombings when Clinton was in office? (during the Assault Weapons Ban).

At least I can defend myself against a gunman, I cant defend myself against a bomb.

Psychopaths will always find a way to kill people if that is their desire.

If the second amendment is in place to allow citizens to overthrow the government my question is .... well .... why haven't you?

- Multiple illegal wars of aggression
- Massive domestic wiretapping and surveillance programs
- Corporate bailouts using taxpayer money
- Ever increasing income inequity
- A government controlled by lobbyists
- Extreme partisan politics

How much worse does it need to get?

Draax

It is getting closer everyday. Americans through history know how bad that war could be. Brother killing brother is not something we look forward to as a nation. We did that once. And it was the worse war we ever fought. At some point the politicians and government will cause it. And it will not be pretty.

Guess it depends on who gets to define what is meant by "deviant thinkers".

I'm sure you would not be happy with my definition, even though I'm sure my definition, when combined with your above solution, would solve most the problems in this country.

Actually, you never really know if I'd be happy or not. :p Anywho, If you're in a position to use you definition with my solution, I'd totally 100% support you because it sounds really cool just from the foreboding completeness of it all.

If your want to work with Uber or use there stupid service. Make sure you live in a state that supports open/concealed carry and has a doctrine to back it up. If the law and doctrine is in place you have nothing to worry about as a driver or customer if you have to defend yourself. And Uber has nothing to worry about the law removes all avenues of sue happy sobs. Except innocent bystanders!!!!! You are responsible for those bullets. You shoot others or destroy property. You got a problem. A big problem!!! Practice, drill and do it to live.

I've just been posting this relating to Uber's corporate decision to ban guns...

C8A1pU5.jpg

Why do you need a gun to take a taxi?
Its the other way around. Why do you need a gun to pick up lots of strangers at all hours of the day and night to remote destinations of their choice? Hmmm... that's a tough one! ;)

Practice, drill and do it to live.
I always wonder how well I'd do in a truly "freak me the hell out" situation, considering how bad cop accuracy is when their adrenaline is pumping. That said, legal defensive engagements per the FBI are typically at very short range where only the most basic proficiency is required to hit your target, whereas cops are sometimes shooting at guys trying to flee (which a CHL holder can never do obviously) or only opening fire from a distance because other cops are shooting (kindof a mob group-think mentality).

At my last CHL refresher though it was pretty funny. I was labeled the freak since I was apparently taking things too seriously with my gear and laser pointing down the range line, heh! But I got the last laugh when the instructor pointed out during target points counting that mine can just go in the bin since the group was so tight it was just a giant hole missing from center mass. Awww yeah! *airhumps*

I always wonder how well I'd do in a truly "freak me the hell out" situation, considering how bad cop accuracy is when their adrenaline is pumping. That said, legal defensive engagements per the FBI are typically at very short range where only the most basic proficiency is required to hit your target, whereas cops are sometimes shooting at guys trying to flee (which a CHL holder can never do obviously) or only opening fire from a distance because other cops are shooting (kindof a mob group-think mentality).

At my last CHL refresher though it was pretty funny. I was labeled the freak since I was apparently taking things too seriously with my gear and laser pointing down the range line, heh! But I got the last laugh when the instructor pointed out during target points counting that mine can just go in the bin since the group was so tight it was just a giant hole missing from center mass. Awww yeah! *airhumps*

I practice and live to fight as plain jane as possible. I know the common shooting lanes in my home. The structures and anyplace a human could be. I always practice low and up from the home. And carry that to the street, my place of employment. And customers. If I'm not allowed to carry and they want me to fix there issues. I carry or go home. Other peoples requirements or folks waving money have no meaning to me. None what so ever! I'm very good at what I do. You don't want me there no problem. I'm out! Try to get me fired over your policy. Or try shaming my employer. No go.

I fight off muscle memory, location and over all threat. My body is pretty beat up, Hernias in my belly need my third surgery. But I still practice. I load my own ammo tuned to my tools. I run and gun. Stress my self out. Grade myself at insane levels. I train at long shots 100 yards plus off hand pistol. Makes close in shots easy.I shoot a lot. I feel sorry for folks that want to practice but can't because of ammo, or over cost. Or ranges that don't set a side time for true practice. Line practice is good,,, we all need it. But once manual of arms is understood one needs to learn how to move and do it hot!

I'm a lucky man. I don't have to play the idiot games. I won't do CA, NY and a few other states. I also have only flown once since 9/11. There is no reason for me to fly for work or pleasure. I'm not cattle. Fly on cattle peeps. And if your not good enough at your job to dictate that,,, your a idiot!! Just looking to get abused.

Whelp, there goes any ever living fucking chance I would drive for them. Uber is not really a thing in St. Louis and this shit is the fucking reason why. When you tell people that you are considering driving for Uber and the first thing they say is "Don't. It's dangerous." They aren't fucking kidding. Uber is only really a good deal for drivers picking up drunk fucks from the middle of city near a bar (read: the hood) at 3 AM and they think it's a plendid idea to take the DRIVER'S/EMPLOYEE'S/CONTRACTOR'S legal right to defend themselves against unruly dipshits

Just gotta love these aspects of society now a days. Companies and employers dissolving a natural right to self defense as soon as you sign that contract. How many times have we heard of pizza delivery drivers being fired after defending their life with their legally concealed firearm? It's disgusting, the people who built this country would be disgusted. Who the fuck thinks they're able to make someone choose between making ends meet and possibly being harmed. These driving gigs are dangerous and they make you an easy target that can be drawn out to be anywhere.

What a sick culture ...

I wish there was something we could do to fix it, but I don't think it'll change anytime soon. Americans are so infatuated with violence, paranoid for their personal safety without a good reason to be, and (in the case of men) insecure enough about the stupid, culturally manufactured personal image they have to maintain that they think they need to constantly hide a gun someplace on their bodies to feel masculine and powerful. With poor education, terrible parenting, and no control over genetic selection through breeding, it probably won't change anytime soon either. The only silver lining is that there's enough power in the hands of the wealthy social elite to keep the masses from causing too many civil disturbances.

I wish there was something we could do to fix it, but I don't think it'll change anytime soon. Americans are so infatuated with violence, paranoid for their personal safety without a good reason to be, and (in the case of men) insecure enough about the stupid, culturally manufactured personal image they have to maintain that they think they need to constantly hide a gun someplace on their bodies to feel masculine and powerful. With poor education, terrible parenting, and no control over genetic selection through breeding, it probably won't change anytime soon either. The only silver lining is that there's enough power in the hands of the wealthy social elite to keep the masses from causing too many civil disturbances.

You are so lost, it's sad. I feel bad for you. I'm so sorry you've been indoctrinated so heavily. You are literally praising the "wealthy social elite". That's a new one, wow. I've read a lot of nonsense from people who think they're intelligent but that really takes the cake. I love how you used the typical liberal insult, trying to degrade others by insulting their "masculinity" or personal image. It's the exact argument that people make when their whole side is based on bias opinion and zero fact.

You are so lost, it's sad. I feel bad for you. I'm so sorry you've been indoctrinated so heavily. You are literally praising the "wealthy social elite". That's a new one, wow. I've read a lot of nonsense from people who think they're intelligent but that really takes the cake. I love how you used the typical liberal insult, trying to degrade others by insulting their "masculinity" or personal image. It's the exact argument that people make when their whole side is based on bias opinion and zero fact.

The wealthy social elite are wealthy for a reason you know. I get it that it's popular for the poor to be envious and try to build a negative opinion of them, but there is class mobility in the US and many other capitalist countries so the poor could take an active interest (beyond complaining about the betters) if they wanted a higher standard of living.

Watch the birdie. Smile.
It will all be over soon.
Everything will be OK.
We are the government and we are here to help.

Using this graph why do you feel the need to arm yourself is so few deaths are a result of mass shootings or murders in general? You are protecting yourself against the .0001%?

I'm not trying to protect myself against anyone, I like guns and I like shooting them. It is my constitutional right to do so and I will continue exercising that right and fight anyone who dares try and take my rights away.

Before anyone brings up the incredibly stupid argument of "well what about certain types of guns or magazine sizes". If I can be trusted with one i can be trusted with them all. I would certainly agree that there should always be a background check and some training associated with gun ownership, just the same as we have licenses to drive cars.

I should mention that I am CHL and ex military, so frankly anti gun activist can fuck right off for all I care. I've passed more background and security checks then most people even know exist.

Why would I even care of the DRIVER is carrying? I rather carry and I do. The driver has ZERO responsibility for my protection regardless if they are carrying or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

13th worst in the world, between Mexico and Argentina. All the countries with the lowest numbers have the strongest gun control laws. I'm not saying that it's the only thing going on, but the correlation is pretty obvious. The only way to know for sure would be to copy Hong Kong's gun laws for a few years to see if it makes a difference.

We all know that's never going to happen and I'm not saying I think it's a good idea, but the USA is the only first-world country with very lax gun control and it's the only first-world country near the top of that gun crimes per capita list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Why would I even care of the DRIVER is carrying? I rather carry and I do. The driver has ZERO responsibility for my protection regardless if they are carrying or not.
Mutual support of your community really, as if you don't care about their safety, they won't care about yours. Its the reason I donate to the NRA, to ensure that everyone supports one another to protect individuals freedoms and pressure such corporations and government reps and what not, even if they aren't coming after me directly yet.

I have no problem owning a gun and carrying it. I wouldn't have a problem with an Uber driver owning a gun and carrying one. They actually can carry a gun in their vehicle because they are independent contractors from my understanding and not actual employees of Uber. I don't think Uber has any power over the independent contractors, and about all they can do is fire them if they find out they are carrying.

But I'd rather carry and not need it, than not carry and need it. Police response time is measured in minutes, when a threat occurs, seconds are what counts.

We don't want to shoot anyone. We don't want to kill anyone. That's the difference between a responsible gun owner and a criminal. But, if we have to in order to protect ourselves or our family, we will shoot. Most responsible gun owners know the high value of life, that's why we want to protect ourselves from whatever threat may be out there. Even if it's a .001% chance of happening.

I like guns, I like shooting guns, I like looking at guns. They are a great hobby. I hope I never, ever have to use them against a person. Ever. That's not something normal people hope happens. We train 'just in case'. Not because we're paranoid or wanting it to happen. We train so that in that small chance it happens, we will be prepared to do what needs to be done to protect our families and not roll over and die.

We don't want to shoot anyone. We don't want to kill anyone. That's the difference between a responsible gun owner and a criminal. But, if we have to in order to protect ourselves or our family, we will shoot. Most responsible gun owners know the high value of life, that's why we want to protect ourselves from whatever threat may be out there. Even if it's a .001% chance of happening.

I like guns, I like shooting guns, I like looking at guns. They are a great hobby. I hope I never, ever have to use them against a person. Ever. That's not something normal people hope happens. We train 'just in case'. Not because we're paranoid or wanting it to happen. We train so that in that small chance it happens, we will be prepared to do what needs to be done to protect our families and not roll over and die.

Well said!

I hope to never find myself in that situation. But I have to be honest that part of me hopes I have to use one against a bear or tiger or some other dangerous animal that would make a great story to tell, I mean since there aren't any dragons to slay anymore.....

Back