uATX i7 build advice

Mozex

[H]ard|Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, video playback, web browsing, and jukebox duties in my living room.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Trying to stay under $500 for remaining parts, but flexible.

3) Where do you live?
Southern California. There is a Fry's near me, a Microcenter within driving distance. I pay tax from newegg.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
RAM, GPU, PSU, case, HD, PSU

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
external 1TB harddrive for backup and storage
wireless keyboard and mouse.
Stealing IDE DVD from current build is an option.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not planning on in, may underclock unless gaming.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
52" 1080p television.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next week or two.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
esata

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Win7

I already have an i7 920 and MSI uATX motherboard that I picked up today at Fry's
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1460507 mobo

RAM, something like $130, would there be a noticeable difference between cas7 and cas9?

HD, I have no idea what a good bang-for-the-buck HD is so I pulled this from a recommended build over in gen-hard. $55 I don't think I'll need more than 500gigs and I'd like it to be fairly quiet. I wouldn't want to put my 74gig raptor in the living room.

CASE, I'd prefer a cube or AV component style case like the v351 $110 or Grandia GD04B $100 but I don't have anything against saving some bucks and going with a simple black tower like the 341 elite $45 I wouldn't want to go any bigger than a P180mini for a tower.

GPU, At this point I'm thinking of picking up a used 260 or a new 5750 $140 I don't consider the 4870 an option because of its high idle power. I'm OK going with a cheaper card for the next few months because I still have an impressive backlog of older games to catch up on.

PSU, I really have no idea where to start.

total price assuming 100 for case = 130 + 55 + 100 + 140 + ??? = 425 + ???

You wont noticeable difference between c7 and c9. On this use.

5750 or 5770, 5770 got about same speed as 4870.

Corsair make realy good PSU.

Looks like I can get

V351 $110
500gig 7200 RPM seagate $55
6 gigs of memory $130
Sapphire 5770 and antec TP-750 combo for $235 - $20 MIR.

total price $530 - $20 rebate. (+tax)

I realize I could save ~$20 on the memory but I didn't notice any vendors I'd trust for that price, suggest away if you know better.

Also if somebody happened to know of a modular PSU that will fit my needs and budget I'd be all over it.

Also if somebody happened to know of a modular PSU that will fit my needs and budget I'd be all over it.

The TP-750 is modular and of excellent quality. I highly highly recommend it, especially with that combo deal.

I guess I should read the descriptions more carefully. Looking at the first couple of pictures on the egg they bundle up all the modular cables at the back which hides the modular connectors.

Well you are trying to keep a sub $500 computer so get a cheaper case.
Maybe $40 :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119088

Once you get to the "box" or "desktop" style you normally are priced in the 80+ range.

I'm highly suspect of the cooling for the Lian Li but then again the SGOx's from Silverstone are about the same.

Anyway, you don't need a fancy case if you are on a budget and should just go for the mini-tower.

Back