U2412M or Something else?

walwalka

2[H]4U
I'm looking to buy a new display here soon, mid February at the latest. I mostly do web browsing, basic gaming(CS:S, L4D2, Portal), movie watching. I'm looking for the best picture quality for under 400 USD, I'd like to stay with the 1920x1200 resolution if possible. 1920x1080 will work in a pinch if the picture quality is that much better. Just looking for some recommendations, Thanks in advance!

U2412M seems to be the only choice at this point at that budget. Samsung's new 850 monitor is flimsy, has horrible backlight bleed and worse blacks than the e-IPS of the U2412M. You could look at HP's offerings including the ZR2440w, but I'm not sure they're really worth the price premium.

That's kinda what I figured, I'm almost to the point where I may just save a little more money and buy the u2410 if it's still around. It just seems to be that much better of a monitor.

I don't see the 2410 going anywhere anytime soon. It does what it does better than any of the competitors besides arguably the Asus.

I just bought one last month with a manufacture date of 12/11 Rev06. They have worked out pretty much every bug.

The only thing I can say is be wary of antiglare - on any Dell model. I was shocked at first but I'm now used to it.

U2410 - better connections, wider gamut, lower image contrast, possible pink green uniformity, higher cost. ( not owned, but info from research )

U2412M - LED, lower power consumption, standard gamut, higher contrast, possible uniformity issues, lower cost. ( I have 2, returning 2 with uniformity issues ).

I don't see the 2410 going anywhere anytime soon. It does what it does better than any of the competitors besides arguably the Asus.

I just bought one last month with a manufacture date of 12/11 Rev06. They have worked out pretty much every bug.

The only thing I can say is be wary of antiglare - on any Dell model. I was shocked at first but I'm now used to it.

Which asus model are you referring to? I'm looking at all my options right now.

Which asus model are you referring to? I'm looking at all my options right now.

Asus PA238Q - Look at http://www.prad.de
Asus ProArt models, as their name implies, are in particular targeted towards professional users. For this reason, the PA238Q bears an IPS panel with a resolution of 1,920 to 1,080 (16:9), which in addition to its generous viewing angles of 178 degrees, a native contrast ratio of 1,000:1 and full coverage of the sRGB colour space also features a ten-bit LUT. However, the 23-inch screen has to offer some delicacies in practical terms, too: Lavish ergonomic features allow height adjusting, portrait mode and rotating.

Asus PA246Q - Look at http://www.prad.de
PA246Q is the name of the new and currently the only monitor in Asus‘ new Pro-Art range. Designed for office use, the monitors focus primarily on high image quality and good ergonomics in particular. In terms of image quality, Asus trusts in the strength of a P-IPS panel with an extended colour space and 12-Bit LUT for its PA246Q. The24-inch panel in 16:10 aspect ratio offers a correspondingly large workspace. Asus also promises that the PA246Q is very colour neutral even in its factory settings, with DeltaE deviations of less than 5.

Here in Russia for some reason, this monitor PA246Q 413,91 € new, classified as a solution for professionals.
prad.de - classifies the office!:eek:
What is surprising, but said prad.de PA238Q 300,67 € new - for the pros:D

If you choose 16:10, then a good option Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS, but it does not support 1920x1080.
Talk to the Russian forum http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=28:25975
"Fujitsu P24W-6 - новая ips-panel. Обсуждаем!"

Good luck in choosing!:)

I owned pa238q, u2412m and s24a850dw. The last monitor I decided to keep is the Samsung one. Despite the back light bleeding, S24a850dw still perform better in less AG coating, way better contrast (around 950), better white uniformity, and more vibrant colour. It is a better monitor for web browsing, text editing and gaming. However, I have RMA three of these monitors and all of them suffer from back light bleeding, so generally speaking it is not a good monitor for watching movies or operating in a darker room. Having said that, there are no guarantee that u2412m or pa238q will have no blb. btw, the pa238q I've owned have lighter AG coating than u2412m, but the contrast is below 600.

Have you thought about VA panel based monitors? They're not as good for heavy FPS gaming, but it sounds like that isn't your main focus anyway. Although most people complain about VA panel's ghosting and what not, I use one for gaming myself and don't see any ghosting or lag. Perhaps because I'm playing via my PS3 such as COD and what not.

Check out the EW2730, office depot has it for under the price of the U2410. Although of course the resolution and IPS panel quality of U2410 can't be compared to the VA panel of the EW2730, but if you're looking for bang for buck and display real-estate, that sounds like a pretty good deal. The main benefits of a VA panel based monitor such as the EW2730 is that it's LED backlit (low energy consumption, evenly long term light distribution and longevity of illumination, less strain on the eyes), 3000:1 true contrast ratio which displays extremely deep blacks and wide range of colors, wide viewing angles, Dual HDMI + DVI + VGA input ports, headphone jack, and small built in speakers. In sum its a great all-in-one large display with deep rich colors for movies and web browsing :)

VA panels have horizontal gamma shift, similar to the vertical shift of TN panels They are also slower than IPS and TN. Their saving grace is the absence of IPS glow and superior black levels.

I would recommend Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS but it might not be available in US.

This is a genuine longshot, but (very very) occasionally Ebay has the NEC LCD2490WUXi around $400 or so. (Not the LCD2490WUXI2, which lacks the A-TW polarizer, or the touchscreen version). If you can get lucky with that, then you've gotten one of the greatest LCDs ever made on Planet Earth ... I got 2 late last year as a Christmas present and I've never had better LCD monitors -- they are really that good.

I would recommend a monitor with a 1920x1200, resolution so difficult to find these days.

This is a genuine longshot, but (very very) occasionally Ebay has the NEC LCD2490WUXi around $400 or so. (Not the LCD2490WUXI2, which lacks the A-TW polarizer, or the touchscreen version). If you can get lucky with that, then you've gotten one of the greatest LCDs ever made on Planet Earth ... I got 2 late last year as a Christmas present and I've never had better LCD monitors -- they are really that good.

I got the touchscreen version and ripped out the touch screen portion of it. It took me about an hour but it's a great monitor to have around, and even with 22,000 hours on it, still very usable and probably one of the best over-all displays of the last number of years. It's not difficult, but can be messy. I was able to remove it without damaging any portion of the screen or innards, and now I know how to rip a WUXI screen apart ;)

I heard that Dell monitors in particular matte film 2711 is removed by placing wet towels. And get a glossy screen.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035794974&postcount=871

To - 10e
You are thus removed the cover?

Yes, the "OneWorldTouch LM-2411-10" is an NEC LCD2490WUXI-BK with a 3m touch screen overlay on it. I bought one from Ebay and I dis-assembled it to get the 3m touch screen off as it added glare.

The way the touch screen is attached is via grey double sided foam tape on the bezel of the panel and LCD monitor. I was able to remove it and clean the screen to get a normal LCD2490WUXI-BK.

Yes, the "OneWorldTouch LM-2411-10" is an NEC LCD2490WUXI-BK with a 3m touch screen overlay on it. I bought one from Ebay and I dis-assembled it to get the 3m touch screen off as it added glare.

The way the touch screen is attached is via grey double sided foam tape on the bezel of the panel and LCD monitor. I was able to remove it and clean the screen to get a normal LCD2490WUXI-BK.

There is actually one of these on ebay right now for $350, if someone wants to try this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/24-Wide-Lcd-Touch-Monitor-Nec-Lcd2490wuxi-bk-Capactive-TouchScreen-1920-X-1200-/250970124338?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item3a6efc3032

Back