U.S. Army Dumps Android For iPhones

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The U.S. Army Special Operations Command is switching all of their tactical phones to an iPhone 6S. These “tactical assault kits” are used for unit tracking and viewing intelligence. Sources say Android always freezes up and that the graphics on Apple phones are “clear, unbelievable” in comparison.

The iPhone 6S will become the end-user device for the iPhone Tactical Assault Kit – special-operations-forces version Army’s Nett Warrior battlefield situational awareness tool, according to an Army source, who is not authorized to speak to the media. The iTAC will replace the Android Tactical Assault Kit. The iPhone is “faster; smoother. Android freezes up” and has to be restarted too often, the source said. The problem with the Android is particularly noticeable when viewing live feed from an unmanned aerial system such as Instant Eye, the source said. When trying to run a split screen showing the route and UAS feed, the Android smart phone will freeze up and fail to refresh properly and often have to be restarted, a process that wastes valuable minutes, the source said.

We all know they want the iPhones for looking cool.

Peshmerga%2Bimprovised%2Bselfie%2Bstick%2Bon%2Bthe%2Bfront%2Bline%2Bin%2BIraq.png

Lol. They are probably comparing cheap lowest bidder generic Android devices (expensive because they are special purpose made for the military) to premium Apple phones.

This happens all the time. "Android sucks" Well maybe units because your device doesn't have enough RAM and is running on an ancient ARM CPU with a poor screen. That'ts not Android's fault, that's the OEM's fault :p

So when the iPhone screen breaks does that mean they will have certified apple techs out in the field for repairs? Like an apple M.A.S.H. of sorts? Or will they have to just hope that any infield repairs don't brick the phone?

So when the iPhone screen breaks does that mean they will have certified apple techs out in the field for repairs? Like an apple M.A.S.H. of sorts? Or will they have to just hope that any infield repairs don't brick the phone?

Embedded Genius Bar :p

(You still have to schedule an appointment in advance :p )

No, they will just shred it and buy a new one for 10 times the regular market price. It's not like it's their own money they are spending.

Lol. They are probably comparing cheap lowest bidder generic Android devices (expensive because they are special purpose made for the military) to premium Apple phones.

This happens all the time. "Android sucks" Well maybe units because your device doesn't have enough RAM and is running on an ancient ARM CPU with a poor screen. That'ts not Android's fault, that's the OEM's fault :p

This.

My 10 year old low bid Windows laptop keeps hanging, so the only choice is to replace it with a MacBook. :rolleyes:

As for Android needing to be restarted, that's bull unless you have an old junk phone, loaded some malware on it, or it's defective.
You would have the same problem with an old outdated iPhone.
The last time I restarted my Note 4 was when I updated it from 5.1 to 6.0.

The old android 4.3 tablet we have at home is another story, as it needs to be restarted every few days, but then it IS old and outdated. Wonder how well those iPad 1's are working?

I'm sure the person in charge making these decisions is a big apple fan.

What about the tens of millions of dollars they put into funding Android Apps for them? Are they going to spend tens of millions of dollars having them ported to iOS? If they do, they are going to find out that a bunch of their Apps won't port at all. A good number of them depend on having a service running in the background and iOS Apps can't do that. iPhone won't meet their stupid requirements that they forced on to using Android devices either. Requirements such as waterproofing, battery life, screen durability, custom build of Android, etc. All that stuff makes the phone bigger, screen harder to read, and much more expensive. They should of just went from a custom built phones with a modified version of Android to a COTS Nexus device.

This.

My 10 year old low bid Windows laptop keeps hanging, so the only choice is to replace it with a MacBook. :rolleyes:

As for Android needing to be restarted, that's bull unless you have an old junk phone, loaded some malware on it, or it's defective.

The old android 4.3 tablet we have at home is another story, as it needs to be restarted every few days, but then it IS old and outdated. Wonder how well those iPad 1's are working?

My wife's iPad mini 1 works amazingly well, to the point I still don't see a reason to upgrade it. My Kindle Fire HD, on the other hand, of roughly the same age is mostly unusable at this point, even for just browsing the web.

This.

It may just be procurement process. If they spec an iphone, they will get an iphone. If they spec android, they will get the lowest bidder, which is a steaming pile. If the system sucks, work around the system. It may seem stupid, but it is effectively one of the reasons I use the iphone myself. There is no guessing if all the marketing saying this phone is the biggest deal ever is really meant by the manufacturer or carrier, or if that's just hype while they replace it in 2 weeks and fail to support it ever. I literally have a stack of android devices that describes.

It says in the article they're using Samsung. Read it before commenting.

It does come down to specs and hardware, but if we're talking an unmodified iPhone then of course it's going to be 'a lot better' in every single metric. Will that still be true if modifications are made, or it's put into a specially designed case? Probably not, and that's the hitch IMO.

If they end up having to modify the phone in any way to appease
Requirements such as waterproofing, battery life, screen durability
or anything else, then yes they're most likely going to end up in a similar position, but of course newer hardware is going to be run their application better, assuming they're able to get it past Apple QA. :p

The source said it's seamless, so they've already ported their application to iOS or are replacing iOS in it's entirety (more likely) so it will only run their application.

Either way, our troops need a seamless, bug-free piece of equipment to ensure their safety and if that means using a great hardware device from a POS company like Apple, it is what it is!

My wife's iPad mini 1 works amazingly well, to the point I still don't see a reason to upgrade it. My Kindle Fire HD, on the other hand, of roughly the same age is mostly unusable at this point, even for just browsing the web.

That's not a great comparison, you're comparing a device that started at $169 to one that started at $329, and the Fire series aren't technically Android devices. They don't meet Android certification requirements.

As has already been mentioned, biggest issue is going to be porting over all the software. Some of it may be trivial, but OTOH it's a good chance to start from scratch. Though I suspect within 2-3 years they're going to be having some of the same issues because the military software programs don't accommodate rapid update cycles.

There are some talented software folks who work in the gov and for defense contractors, but when you stifle them with too much red tape it doesn't matter how smart/good you are, your product is going to suck.

Anecdotal - We were transitioning some systems from Vista to Win 7, so I proposed jumping straight to Win-7 64 since we were going to re-write a bunch of crap anyway. Administratively they decided to go with Win 7 32 instead because it required "less dev time", and this is for systems w/ 16gb RAM.

One huge benefit of iOS and Apple devices is they truly are all the same (at least software-wise). I can buy one anywhere and there is a better chance of it working elseware and won't have custom provider software/bloat.

It amazes me that even today when Verizon, ATT etc are pushing byod and charging full price for devices, they still comes with bloat.

Exactly it. Because there's only one maker, you tend to get the Apple experience. With Android, unless you go to a specific manufacturer, who knows what you're getting (unless you specify exactly what you want).

Let's face it, this has less to do with UAV live feeds locking up and more to do with Pokemon Go. The SEALs probably bitched these antique Android units weren't working in Afghanistan. They have some very high value Pokemon to catch.

No, they will just shred it and buy a new one for 10 times the regular market price. It's not like it's their own money they are spending.

Except, that the reality is, the unit does have a budget and the replacement would come from that budget which means they might not be able to buy other things instead. Of course, these SOF guys do get a huge budget, but still, it's not unlimited.

Oh, and damaged/destroyed equipment is the responsibility of the guys signed for it. If it's found as negligence, they can be billed for the damages. Enlisted guys can only be billed so much for lost or destroyed stuff, but officers can be forced to pay the entire tab if found at fault for the loss.'

It says in the article they're using Samsung. Read it before commenting.

Comment still stands. They may be Samsung units, but they are 2012 era Samsung Note II's.

Best compared to the iPhone 4s, from a "what Apple had available in 2012" perspective. My point was it's not a like-for-like comparison, and it isn't.

Agreed, and it's a smart move to reassess the equipment as the tech advances very rapidly in the mobile market.

It may just be procurement process. If they spec an iphone, they will get an iphone. If they spec android, they will get the lowest bidder, which is a steaming pile. If the system sucks, work around the system. It may seem stupid, but it is effectively one of the reasons I use the iphone myself. There is no guessing if all the marketing saying this phone is the biggest deal ever is really meant by the manufacturer or carrier, or if that's just hype while they replace it in 2 weeks and fail to support it ever. I literally have a stack of android devices that describes.

^ THIS ^ TFA didn't mention which model of phone is getting replaced. Given how convoluted government procurement can be, it is very possible that by the time the end users in the military got their hands on the equipment, it was already 2 or 3 years old. The military probably used this as justification for a sole source contract so they had a chance of getting near current equipment into the hands of the troops. And a few 10's of millions to port apps to iOS is trivial.

Samsung phones are POS. In addition, the article said it is running a custom version of Android. Samsung can't get even get their consumer version of Android working smoothly.

I am an Android developer and I have 20 something devices to test on. Anything Samsung that I test on that is over 2 years old is practically unusable. They are clean devices with only factory installed Apps on them with the exception of the App I am testing. I also have older Nexus devices that are less powered in raw specs. All of the Nexus devices I test on I can use with a good experience. I have no idea what Samsung is doing to their devices to make them unusable after about 2 years. In addition, 9 out of my top 10 bugs/crashes only occur on Samsung devices and most of my users don't have Samsung devices.

Sounds like an army general had a good poop in one of the Apple churches.

Samsung phones are POS. In addition, the article said it is running a custom version of Android. Samsung can't get even get their consumer version of Android working smoothly.

I am an Android developer and I have 20 something devices to test on. Anything Samsung that I test on that is over 2 years old is practically unusable. They are clean devices with only factory installed Apps on them with the exception of the App I am testing. I also have older Nexus devices that are less powered in raw specs. All of the Nexus devices I test on I can use with a good experience. I have no idea what Samsung is doing to their devices to make them unusable after about 2 years. In addition, 9 out of my top 10 bugs/crashes only occur on Samsung devices and most of my users don't have Samsung devices.

Samsung has more Android phones out there than anyone else, so of course you are going to see more problems on Samsung phones.

I had and S3 I used for over 3 years. Very solid phone.
I replaced it because there were no official updates after 4.3. It's a work phone so I didn't want to rely on a 3rd party rom.
I later rooted the phone and install 5.1. Works much better now, so I keep it around as a backup.

I now have a Samsung Note 4. Great phone, just updated it to 6.0.
I've only had it 6 months, but it was released almost 2 years ago. Don't see replacing it for at least 2 more years.

One huge benefit of iOS and Apple devices is they truly are all the same (at least software-wise). I can buy one anywhere and there is a better chance of it working elseware and won't have custom provider software/bloat.

It amazes me that even today when Verizon, ATT etc are pushing byod and charging full price for devices, they still comes with bloat.

When you buy a single model android it is the same as well, this is not a buy any android phone and use it sort of deal, they will be buying a single model, they will be the same as buying Apple. And provider software/bloat? Did you even read? This is government with a very specific use, these phones will not be like going into ATT and buying a phone, they will have a contract with whoever provides the phones and will probably have a custom ROM setup, or will be stripped down.

Looking at a Note 2 vs a 6S for what they are using this for, which is multi screen streaming/swapping etc and CPU power can play a big role in that, willing to bet a new flagship android would do just as well.

Samsung has more Android phones out there than anyone else, so of course you are going to see more problems on Samsung phones.

I had and S3 I used for over 3 years. Very solid phone.
I replaced it because there were no official updates after 4.3. It's a work phone so I didn't want to rely on a 3rd party rom.
I later rooted the phone and install 5.1. Works much better now, so I keep it around as a backup.

I now have a Samsung Note 4. Great phone, just updated it to 6.0.
I've only had it 6 months, but it was released almost 2 years ago. Don't see replacing it for at least 2 more years.

I don't necessarily care for Samsung's design philosophy or stock ROM's, but there is no doubt about it, their flagship Galaxy S and Note phones are quality devices. They have a lot of budget phones in other countries we don't see here in the U.S. though, that can be pretty crappy. Believe it or not, there are lots of other letters except S in other countries. I think we only get the S and Note models.

My future mother in law has a Samsung phone from the Brazilian market and it is pretty terrible, IMHO.

Dude it's not like they make the hardware in it lol. It's running the same type of hardware found in any other phone of that caliber you're buying from. it's like saying this System Builder's computers always have problems when they are untouched identical hardware to ones you say work fine lol. You literally made no sense what so ever. The only bits they make is the NAND and it's controller, which is the same as the SSD's they sell that are pretty much the best in the business. You're going to have to enlighten us on that crap you just spewed because it doesn't seem to hold up. Also, no, i don't own a Samsung, and no, I don't want one either, think their ugly and way more hardware than I need.

Seems like a lot of people here have never experienced government procurement. Those Note 2's might be from 2012 but they're probably brand new to the unit, thats about how long it takes for something to get through all of the certification process. If they get the iphone 6s they'll probably start using it in the field about the time we buy the iphone 8 in stores.

I'm not going to try and discredit the idea that procurement could be the prime motivator for this move. But I will point out a couple of details. One, I doubt that procurement for this type of system would fail to specify the precise hardware because this wouldn't be a generic smartphone buy, but a buy for equipment that is part of an overall system.

The second thing I would point out is that system in development are not yet subject to standard procurement procedures cause they are not yet accepted systems. Once the systems pass all test and acceptance hurdles and become a program of record, then they begin to fall under standard procurement controls. As long as they are in development and testing, they just buy what the Program Office for that program wants. And the funds come from the development contract.

Furthermore, systems being developed under the rapid prototyping initiatives that were set up during the war in order to bypass normal procurement and development procedures have even fewer restrictions.

Apple's head quarters office is cali, samsung's headquarters is in Korea and Japan. That said that article is joke, the landwarrior system is boots on the ground. spec operators command don't use standard equipment. That is why they have discretionary funds. I had about a hundred twenty five thousand dollars a fiscal year oct to oct, that you spent or lost, meaning it did not roll over and if you wasted it you got hit with fraud, waste and abuse. The radio systems on an iPhone are similar to an android since both use LTE, or long term evolution radios in 1700 to 2400. My guess is some one wanted advertising hits. The craziest thing I bought with discretionary fund was a bunch of M-14 Marine Scout Snipers and M24 built to look like a Remington 7400. Both of which I sold back to ordinance on the base and bought back with personnel funds. I got yelled at for that but since there was no actual lose of funds it was just a bad epr. I knew one guy who bought a Ferrari to drive to possible terrorist location and it blew up driving over a land mine and he had to agree to stay in until it was paid off, at master sargents salary... ouch.

Apple's head quarters office is cali, samsung's headquarters is in Korea and Japan. That said that article is joke, the landwarrior system is boots on the ground. spec operators command don't use standard equipment. That is why they have discretionary funds. I had about a hundred twenty five thousand dollars a fiscal year oct to oct, that you spent or lost, meaning it did not roll over and if you wasted it you got hit with fraud, waste and abuse. The radio systems on an iPhone are similar to an android since both use LTE, or long term evolution radios in 1700 to 2400. My guess is some one wanted advertising hits. The craziest thing I bought with discretionary fund was a bunch of M-14 Marine Scout Snipers and M24 built to look like a Remington 7400. Both of which I sold back to ordinance on the base and bought back with personnel funds. I got yelled at for that but since there was no actual lose of funds it was just a bad epr. I knew one guy who bought a Ferrari to drive to possible terrorist location and it blew up driving over a land mine and he had to agree to stay in until it was paid off, at master sargents salary... ouch.
This is what our tax dollars pay for :D

I love this thread:

morton-salt-girl-can-make-advertising-industry-history-as-first-girl-icon-voted-into-madison-avenue-walk-of-fame-a-advertising-week-350x350.jpg

Wonder how well those iPad 1's are working?
Mine works like a fucking champ.

Better pack in spare batteries with those iPhones...
lol. My work phone is a Droid Turbo and my personal is a iPhone 6. I use my iphone 2:1 and get at least 4 more hours of battery out of my personal phone.

Let's face it, this has less to do with UAV live feeds locking up and more to do with Pokemon Go. The SEALs probably bitched these antique Android units weren't working in Afghanistan. They have some very high value Pokemon to catch.

This is truly one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. Congrats

Everything sounds good right up until you talk about an enlisted soldier having to pay off the loss which sounds very wrong.

The maximum any enlisted soldier can be forced to pay toward a loss is something like 2 months base pay. Only Commissioned Officers can be held financially liable for more. Unless you know of a regulation that has changed somewhere, it wouldn't matter how long he promised to serve, 2 months pay is all they can take.

This is the reg I am referring to;
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r735_5.pdf
Now in all fairness this reg was modified and is dated in 2013, but prior to that things were pretty much the same in regards to this issue.

On page 42 there is a table that lists information, there are notes that back up my understanding of this regulation below.

What is important is the distinction in the table between PA&E liability, (Personal Arms and Equipment), and OEP, (Other Equipment or Property) both are defined in the Glossary.

By this regulation, even though that Sergeant managed the purchase of the vehicle, it wouldn't be classified as PA&E and instead must be OEP equipment.

The notes below that table are clear;
Notes:
1 Officer and enlisted members are subject to financial liability for the entire amount of the PA&E loss.
2 Total liability of OEP will not exceed 1 month’s base pay.
3 See paragraph 13–41 for exceptions.
4 Total liability for OEP will be the cost of OEP or 1 month’s base pay, whichever less is, plus the total cost of PA&E

Although an enlisted soldier can be help liable for the total value of an AP&E loss, the max you can charge him for an OEP loss is 1 month's pay.

I do however see a reference to some exceptions in the notes, I'll look into that now.

Oh, and I also saw a reference to a "voluntary acceptation of liability." I suppose, it is possible that they essentially forced him to voluntarily accept the financial responsibility, sort of like, pay up or we'll prosecute under UCMJ for whatever they felt they could swing at him. Could be that the commander had cause to throw a Field Grade at him, which would keep him from reenlisting and that would destroy his retirement. I can see where even this is really dangerous ground for a commander to go, but then again, I have seen some arrogant and stupid commanders in my time.

EDITED:

Ok, on that reference to exceptions in 13-41, because the guy was Enlisted, it looks like the only way he could be held liable for more than one month's pay is if he was serving as an official Accountability Officer, which is usually a Commissioned Officer except you are talking about a SOF Unit and it is possible in wartime for an Enlisted soldier to be appointed to such a duty in a SOF unit. I can see it.

Let me know if you think I have this about right please.

Last edited:
Back