• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Two questions about the XP-90

Alvein

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
223
Hi,

Just decided to buy the Thermaltake XP-90 for my Preshott. I found a nice deal in Sidewinder. They have nice ratings and the price is great. Even the package with Arctic S5 and a Panaflo high-speed fan (and shipment fees!) beats the Newegg's basic price.

But I have two newbie questions:

-Wouldn't the weight of the thing (HS+fan) be too much for the MoBo, having into account they will be rotated 90 degrees once the installation be complete and the tower case moved to its normal stand-up position? Any risks moving the case to another place?

-Where I can find a picture of the HS with the fan mounted? I've looked many pics but I cannot figure where to screw the fan exactly. LOL :p

Thanks.
 
Despite it's size, this heatsink weighs less than most copper heatsinks.

There have been a lot of reviews that show this thing cools almost as well with a quiet fan, as it does with a high RPM fan. So there isn't a whole heck of a lot of reason to use a noisy fan.
 
Opps, sorry. Thermalright. That is. :D

Thanks for the picture. But now comes another question. If the fan is mounted on-top, where is it blowing to? direct to the MoBo? I was thinking it could blow from one side, the way I could extract the air from the rear side of the case, directly.

@ Ristogod,

The only reason I chose the high speed version, is because the low speed one (the one that TR recommends) is not available with tachometer. I love tachometers....:p Anyways, the MoBo should deccelerate the fan if the temps are cooler, so I don't think the noise be a problem.
 
The fan blows towards the motherboard. You can orient the XP-90 so that the fan blows over your hot voltage regulators, which is always a good thing. Either that, or you can get some extra RAM cooling. A rear mounted case exhaust would do the job in extracting the heat from the case.

You can always undervolt the RPM monitored fan with something like a Zalman Fanmate.
 
Alvein said:
Opps, sorry. Thermalright. That is. :D

Thanks for the picture. But now comes another question. If the fan is mounted on-top, where is it blowing to? direct to the MoBo? I was thinking it could blow from one side, the way I could extract the air from the rear side of the case, directly.
nah man you would need a different heatsink, a tower one to be exact
 
Alvein said:
Opps, sorry. Thermalright. That is. :D

Thanks for the picture. But now comes another question. If the fan is mounted on-top, where is it blowing to? direct to the MoBo? I was thinking it could blow from one side, the way I could extract the air from the rear side of the case, directly.
nah man you would need a different heatsink, a tower one to be exact.....a good lightweight heatsink lik this would be the freezer 64
 
N H O said:
nah man you would need a different heatsink, a tower one to be exact.....a good lightweight heatsink lik this would be the freezer 64
The problem with the Freezer 64 is that most motherboards have the CPU socket oriented so that this heatsink dumps all it's heat into the power supply... which isn't very effective. If you want to stick with Arctic Cooling, go with the newly-released Freezer64 Pro.
 
I used to use the XP-90. I switched to the Zalman CNPS9500LED and the difference was night and day. Not only that, but it mounts securely and can be oriented to any direction.
 
I have PGA478, so I cannot use the Freezer64.
I've also considered then CNPS9500, but it's way too expensive for me.
 
Well, at the end of the day, I doubt you're going to find a better HSF that is anywhere near as light as the XP-90 if that's a concern of yours. It fits pretty snug in the s478 retention bracket.
 
_Korruption_ said:
The problem with the Freezer 64 is that most motherboards have the CPU socket oriented so that this heatsink dumps all it's heat into the power supply... which isn't very effective. If you want to stick with Arctic Cooling, go with the newly-released Freezer64 Pro.
ah yes that is the problem with alotta towers nowadays and i also did not see that he was using a prescott so he would need the p4 version :)
 
_Korruption_ said:
The problem with the Freezer 64 is that most motherboards have the CPU socket oriented so that this heatsink dumps all it's heat into the power supply... which isn't very effective. If you want to stick with Arctic Cooling, go with the newly-released Freezer64 Pro.

At least on the neo 2 plat. mobo, it blows towards the back of the case. I don't recommend this cooler if you plan on overclocking.
 
SpoogeMonkey said:
At least on the neo 2 plat. mobo, it blows towards the back of the case. I don't recommend this cooler if you plan on overclocking.
wat temps were u gettin with it?
 
Back
Top