Twitter Has Killed Off Vine

HardOCP News

[H] News
I can't say this is surprising. Twitter bought Vine four years ago for $30 million, made no money off it, closing it down. Seems about par for the course with all things Twitter. Here's a quote from the obituary:

Since 2013, millions of people have turned to Vine to laugh at loops and see creativity unfold. Today, we are sharing the news that in the coming months we’ll be discontinuing the mobile app. Nothing is happening to the apps, website or your Vines today. We value you, your Vines, and are going to do this the right way. You’ll be able to access and download your Vines. We’ll be keeping the website online because we think it’s important to still be able to watch all the incredible Vines that have been made. You will be notified before we make any changes to the app or website.

That last sentence says all the previous sentences are not to be believed.

Is periscope the replacement for this? Are they hoping to unseat Youtube and Facebook for live viral videos?

Vines are one of the things I absolutely hate seeing online.

7 of them were really good. The other 6 billion were fucking stupid.

Come on now, there were more like 15 that were good.

I'm surprised they aren't just rolling the feature into Twitter. Unless it already exists? I don't use Twitter.

I need to come up with something stupid and sell it off for $30 million!!!!
You and me both, so many stupid ideas getting bought from tech companies that end up failing anyways. While the original creators are laughing all the way to the bank.

All this talk of wanting to sell something for $30 Million... I want to have enough money that I don't flinch at paying $30 million for something I will just turn around and throw away.

eh with 30mil in my account i could spend 500k a year for the rest of my life and still have money left over.

A fool and their money are soon parted.

Furthermore, not all acquisitions are with the intent of having the new be profitable. Often it's to shut down a competitor, or get a small bit of technology out of it, and shed the rest. Just look at Motorola. (I'm sad now that I've said that)

I guess the trend of today is get rich from dumb people. I must get to work...

Good riddance, but unfortunately the damage is already done. The internet is absolutely infested with videos taken in portrait mode largely due to that crap. Now people think that is perfectly ok as a result. Nothing more infuriating than to click on a video only to be confronted with that shitty small window with the blurry side panels.

Never understood what a Vine was.....

do you mean as far as having a real purpose or period? It was simply a 6 second long video. People used them for quick reaction videos, comedy videos or just a quick clip of something. As for why was needed them. They have as much use as a 140 characters for an update. Some can justify a reason for both

I've never visited Vine, purposefully handicapping your service for no practical reason is not a selling point. Twitter is worthless enough as is and that's nearly impossible to avoid.

Thank goodness. Vine was the ass-clown pipe line.
Typical video................
"HEY, I found some free chocolate donuts in the yard!"
"Those aren't donuts!"

Back