Twisted Metal.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Anyone else looking forward to this game? It comes out the 14th (two weeks from this Tuesday).

I haven't played a TM since the early ps2 days. There aren't really any good vehicle combat games out there atm either.

Since the last TM it seemed the genre just dried up, no one wanted to make anymore.

I mean we had TM, then Interstate 76 on the pc, Vigilante 8, etc and those were all great fun games, then suddenly bam, nothing.

Some of my most fun as a kid was playing TM on the ps1 with my friends on the weekend, staying up late at night when we were supposed to be sleeping, even with the sound off it was still a fun game.

Can't wait to jump back into a new TM game, the online should be a blast.

Sadly the game is going to have the "Online pass" system, even though Jaffe didn't want it to. I hope this doesn't impact the MP part of the game, hopefully it sells well enough for them to make another one.

Also David Jaffe has been posting vlogs recently about the game, answering questions nad showing some things off,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxMxMeeUbU

Time to dust off my ps3 and get it ready.

You forgot carmaggeddon. :D I suppose it's like other genres which come and go in waves. Theres that PAM game on the PC, but I don't I don't think it got glowing reviews.

The online pass is probably to stop resale, like all the other games recently with online passes. Then again, people don't say anything with things like steam with 0 resale (which has also come to the PS3). It is one of the bigger sony first party games along with littlebigplanet, killzone, wipeout, uncharted etc. As long as it gets ok sales, there will probably be another.

But have been waiting for this one for a while. It seems like forever since the last twisted metal and since this has been annouced! It's like diablo 3!

Im looking forward to it, I hope it's like the original PS1 game. I really enjoyed how dark it felt which dissipated with each sequel.

Yep, I've been following it close to two years now.

Very excited. The only problem that I see myself having is I know I am constantly going to be comparing it to the Twisted Metal 1 & 2. I can't help it.

But since David says he put his best foot forward and this is the Twisted Metal that he originally envisioned, I'm sure it will be fantastic. The industry needs more developers like him.
Can't wait!

Thanks for the post OP :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I just made a pre-order for it (along with the Vita) since there are some pre-order goodies.

I played 1 and 2 a ton, but don't think I ever even owned #3. TM:Black was something special for sure, though. Very dark and evil, plus it was flat-out difficult, too. I think I only won that one with 2-3 characters. This one seems to be picking up where that one left off, so that's a good thing.

Nice. I had no idea there would be a demo. I guess that'll help me get used to the new style of play before the real game hits.

Well just go done playing the demo.

As it stands im not sure if I like it or hate it. I'm certainly not paying full price for it.

I hope there is some way in the final game to remove the crosshairs, why the fuck I need crosshairs when the weapons auto target is beyond me.

Also, I don't need RPG elements in Twisted Metal I hope there is a way to keep the game from telling me everytime I hit someone how much damage I did.

/sigh

Back to playing Twisted Metal 2

This game used to be the shit. I had a friend that had it on the ps2 and we would play it all night long. Wish it came out on the PC

The more I play it now the more I can deal with it being what it is. I guess I should save my final opinion for the finished product.

I played around with it a little. Seems like there's a lot of things you can do, so there might be quite the opportunity for players to become truly good at it.
Graphics are nothing to write home about, though.

I like it, will be a first day purchase providing they can fix the online issues

This is another classic that I think has been ruined by the mentality of "we've got 44 button combos available, lets use em all!".

For the life of me I couldn't even come close to getting the basics down after an hour of working with it and going through the "tutorial" twice. It was anything but fun.

Sadly, another no buy for me and another fond memory to stay just a memory.

This is another classic that I think has been ruined by the mentality of "we've got 44 button combos available, lets use em all!".

For the life of me I couldn't even come close to getting the basics down after an hour of working with it and going through the "tutorial" twice. It was anything but fun.

Sadly, another no buy for me and another fond memory to stay just a memory.

I felt like I was having that problem in online. I think they really should have defaulted the control to the "Racer" control scheme (or whatever uses the triggers for the gas and brakes). Using that Classic scheme by default made the game feel pretty complicated and I couldn't get into a good rhythm even after 5 or 6 online matches. I don't think they are using too many buttons, I think they are using the wrong buttons. Fact is if you give people almost any game with a car and say "Drive!", they won't press the Square button first (which is what TM uses). They will press X or pull the R2 trigger.

Agreed that it was a bit too complicated for its own good. There were just too many things to do and they seemingly went overboard making every single button do something different instead of streamlining things a little.

It takes a bit to get used to but once it clicks, it's really fun imo.

Maybe true, but its just not clicking with me. The demo makes me less likely to buy the game, mostly because I feel like I was fumbling around for ~2 hours and still mashing the wrong buttons randomly.

Maybe true, but its just not clicking with me. The demo makes me less likely to buy the game, mostly because I feel like I was fumbling around for ~2 hours and still mashing the wrong buttons randomly.

At least it wasn't just me. :p

Just cause a controller has 16 some odd buttons doesn't mean you have to use them all, then start using combo's of them as well to get a bazillion options in there. Sometimes, less is more.

For those that can deal with it, enjoy! Sadly, I'm not skilled enough to try and play a game that's the real life equivalent of flying an F-15. :D

At least it wasn't just me. :p

Just cause a controller has 16 some odd buttons doesn't mean you have to use them all, then start using combo's of them as well to get a bazillion options in there. Sometimes, less is more.

For those that can deal with it, enjoy! Sadly, I'm not skilled enough to try and play a game that's the real life equivalent of flying an F-15. :D

Funny since the controls are much simpler than the PS2 versions. I’m not disagreeing with you but I remember just to jump it was literally like putting in a code (down down left maybe?). Same with the freeze and landmines.

I honestly miss the button presses for the special attacks. Right now I'm having to overthink everything. Off-putting some commands to the steering would've helped that out.
I've tried to get into it twice and both times I've been irritated.

what's everyone's recommended controller setup? i'm trying to get used to using both analog sticks

It takes a bit to get used to but once it clicks, it's really fun imo.

This is true. At first I hated it. I was comparing it to TM2, which I knew I would but now I have to accept it for the game it is, and I think it has its own merits. I pre ordered it the other day and got a "Make your own" Sweetooth Icecream truck display, kinda neat. In hindsight the gameplay and environment reminds me of a game called Rogue Trip Vacation 2012 for the PS1 which was basically TM2's bastard son made by GT Interactive. It even has a car called "Meat Wagon" that looks just like "Ozone" from Rouge Trip. It also has a helicopter which RT had.
Anyway looking forward to the release and hopefully having as much fun with it as I did with the older ones.

Last edited:
I tried to give it another go last night and it told me that the demo had expired. Looks like I'll be cannon fodder for the first few days of the release as I never did pick up the controls.

I tried to give it another go last night and it told me that the demo had expired. Looks like I'll be cannon fodder for the first few days of the release as I never did pick up the controls.

I was getting my ass kicked in the demo. Then I decided to do the tutorial and finally figured out how all the special attacks and weapons worked. The game is much better now.

Played the single play for a few hours, man this game kicks ass.... super fun!

Just won my first online Hunted match woohoo!

name is Krenum82

Mine should be on the front doorstep when I get home, although since it's Valentine's Day I likely won't get much playtime.

Well I went to go play the demo yesterday to see if I could get the controls, they pulled the demo. Lost potential sale from me.

I got to play for about an hour and am having fun.
I think my gripe with the controls might not be that there are too many things, but maybe that they're a little backwards from what I'm used to.
For instance, in most older games the gas pedal is X. Here's it's square. Brakes are Square. Here they're circle. The fire buttons are the triggers and toggles are the shoulders, but I'm used to the exact opposite in most shooters.
I didn't play around with the different configs, but in the demo there wasn't really a way to swap everything over to a more traditional layout. That's probably where the learning curve for people is coming from.

Well I went to go play the demo yesterday to see if I could get the controls, they pulled the demo. Lost potential sale from me.

your saying, that because there is no demo, that is a deal breakeR?

you've never purchased a game without playing the demo first..

WAHHHHH

your saying, that because there is no demo, that is a deal breakeR?

you've never purchased a game without playing the demo first..

WAHHHHH

No I am saying that I played the demo and hated the controls, then I went back to the demo so I could convince myself to buy the game, and the demo was disabled. Now my last memory of the game is fumbling around with some oddball controls and I don't feel like dropping $60 on it.

No I am saying that I played the demo and hated the controls, then I went back to the demo so I could convince myself to buy the game, and the demo was disabled. Now my last memory of the game is fumbling around with some oddball controls and I don't feel like dropping $60 on it.

Here's my "impartial" take, and I think that makes some level of sense.

The game is fun, and fans of the old games will likely still enjoy it. The cinemas and dark feel are well done and the soundtrack is a blast. It has everything from the theme to Heavy Metal to Straight Outta Compton.
The controls are backwards, though. I haven't tried in the full game, but the pre-sets in the demo really didn't give you much room to change anything.
The in game graphics are unbelievably inconsistent. One one level they might look really good (the racing level with cliffs) while on another (the NYC level) they honestly look like a PS2 game. Graphically this one is borderline last-gen.
Overall it's probably a 7/10 for me. The fun of the game overcomes some of the weaknesses, but the in-game graphics and odd controls are definitely major distractions.

I think they just have too many buttons to use, I mean I remember playing TM I/II/B and enjoying the ehll out of them, were the controls THIS complicated then?

I remember there being like normal racing controls, + shooting your main gun and a special, and that was that. So two triggers + gas, etc.

you stated you looked for the demo and it was gone...right..

my opinion is that its got a cool soundtrack , the gameplay is fast. The controls are alittle loose so aiming is a pain. Specials...i dont need two. Controls are stupid..i though r2 was the machine gun and l2 was the use weapon...but i digress

Back