TV vs. "real" gaming monitor

So word on the street (blurbusters) indicates that monitors with 60-120hz BFI are coming. He’s probably under NDA so he hasn’t said anything definitive. I’ll keep taking shots of that hopium. Lol

Me too. :)

I wonder if they're referring to inserting a literal black frame leveraging a 240Hz panel. As opposed to the rolling scan that the LG CX/C1 does, which I guess is what is allowing that 3 on / 5 off pattern at 120 Hz. (And I guess is the hardware in 2022 that was removed?)

EDIT: Sorry...Wrong video earlier. I can't seem to find the one I saw a year or two ago that had high speed camera footage of the CX with BFI, but this one has some:

Last edited:
Back to OP, while not as true as it once was, TVs were not targeting gaming. Even general purpose computer monitors in fact, did better than TVs. Obviously, as people have adopted larger and larger and larger screens as being "ok" for computing, the market for gaming friendly TVs has increased. So, again, it's not as bad as it once was. But IMHO, you still do better with a computer monitor over a TV in most all cases.

Well for a long time it seemed like monitors didn't share in the advancements with TVs getting higher contrast panels and FALD for example. It just seemed that post-CRT the monitor scene was pretty grim for years. Now there are a lot of interesting choices on the monitor side though.

If you get a proper HDR monitor since 2018 you can see better image every single second for the last 5 years. You will be sick of these SDR images for long time.
I'd say I missed seeing this but... nah. :LOL:

I'd say I missed seeing this but... nah. :LOL:
Indeed. One could make the argument that if all things are SDR, those people will never scream when HDR isn't working (again). I sort of view the surround sound folks in a similar way.

If there's a sane HDR (unified) solution someday, along with a sane (unified) surround sound solution, I might change my mind.

Indeed. One could make the argument that if all things are SDR, those people will never scream when HDR isn't working (again). I sort of view the surround sound folks in a similar way.

If there's a sane HDR (unified) solution someday, along with a sane (unified) surround sound solution, I might change my mind.
Good surround sound requires a lot more from your environment than HDR displays do, to be fair. I've dabbled with surround setups but as a music producer I'm rather attached to simple, good quality stereo rigs for mixing and I have no issue whatsoever with playing games and watching TV in this way either. Sound quality means more to me than positioning, even though I can appreciate how cool it is when done right.

I definitely get the sentiment about HDR though. Not only are there multiple HDR standards, no two "HDR" displays present it in the same way. I'm still using a QN94A, the HDR isn't bad but it's not exactly the best implementation either. Various local dimming issues stop it from being truly great. I spend most of my time on an SDR desktop though so I'm not too fussed. Still looks awesome when kicking back and playing the PS5 on it.

I'd say I missed seeing this but... nah.
It's understated to say HDR monitors have better images every single second. It's better at every single frame since I can use a proper HDR monitor to make SDR into HDR with far better range.

And you've been wondering why you cannot still make HDR or just even see HDR properly with whatever incompetent TV or why you cannot even rank higher in games.

Speaking of a proper TV, better seriously considering that 135" ProArt PQ07. It's coming out.

Good surround sound requires a lot more from your environment than HDR displays do, to be fair. I've dabbled with surround setups but as a music producer I'm rather attached to simple, good quality stereo rigs for mixing and I have no issue whatsoever with playing games and watching TV in this way either. Sound quality means more to me than positioning, even though I can appreciate how cool it is when done right.
Yeah surround sound can require almost setting things up specifically for that or else usually it's weird placement for back speakers, running cables in odd places etc. Just not worth it for me. Maybe if in the future I can get a system that supports wireless back speakers with low enough latency.

I definitely get the sentiment about HDR though. Not only are there multiple HDR standards, no two "HDR" displays present it in the same way. I'm still using a QN94A, the HDR isn't bad but it's not exactly the best implementation either. Various local dimming issues stop it from being truly great. I spend most of my time on an SDR desktop though so I'm not too fussed. Still looks awesome when kicking back and playing the PS5 on it.
Yeah HDR is in a weird place where OLED is relatively affordable, but HDR on them is a its best at larger TV sizes since they can push higher brightness than monitors or smaller TV sizes. Then on monitor sizes mini-LED range from ok to very expensive, with their own quirks and compromises. Anything else is going to be a subpar experience. I still prefer OLED as a compromise but my next display is likely to be a mini-LED anyway.

Yeah HDR is in a weird place where OLED is relatively affordable, but HDR on them is a its best at larger TV sizes since they can push higher brightness than monitors or smaller TV sizes. Then on monitor sizes mini-LED range from ok to very expensive, with their own quirks and compromises. Anything else is going to be a subpar experience. I still prefer OLED as a compromise but my next display is likely to be a mini-LED anyway.

The most annoying thing I've found about HDR gaming is that the settings in a lot games are somewhat useless because they don't tell you what nits you are outputting, it just says "Brightness". Like how tf is that supposed to help me figure out the proper value, what does a brightness value of 5 vs 10 translate into? Gets even worst when you have like 3-4 different kinds of "Brightness" to adjust, most people just aren't going to even bother and leave everything at default values and just hope for the best. Of course some games are now getting better at this and actually using the HDR Calibration tool for Windows such as Hogwart's Legacy so that takes all the guesswork out but too many games even today are still shipping with non helpful HDR settings.

I sit 9 feet from my LG TV that I use as a monitor. 4KUHD, not the best, not the worst.. pretty awesome for me.

I retired my NAD AVR setup for a JBL soundbar and wireless sub.. but its not as fun. Might put it back.

I've been thinking about this exact thing
May I ask what size screen you are using?

I've been thinking of going with a 65" OLED and setting up a desk many feet away from it.

I can use a proper HDR monitor to make SDR into HDR with far better range.
Still don't know why this is necessary.

And you've been wondering why you cannot still make HDR or just even see HDR properly with whatever incompetent TV
It's not incompetent, it's just not perfect. No HDR implementation is. I see no reason to upgrade a flagship TV that is only a couple of years old just because of a few dark scene local dimming issues.

or why you cannot even rank higher in games.
Hahaha what a load of bull.

Today I learned HDR makes you better at games.

Maybe if in the future I can get a system that supports wireless back speakers with low enough latency.
Yeah this sounds like it'd make it more viable but they'd need to be active speakers meaning more cables to the wall, or a separate amp needed... which would be plugged into the wall anyway. I think no matter the tech, my environment (the living room) just isn't cut out for a good surround setup so I don't even try. I'm not that much of a movie/TV watcher but I am big on gaming, that's where I'd use it for sure.

I still prefer OLED as a compromise but my next display is likely to be a mini-LED anyway.
I went mini LED because the burn in factor would play on my mind endlessly when using it as a PC desktop monitor. H ave no idea what my next display will be, I'm not currently in the market for one. Maybe once I am things will have progressed a little in the self-emissive world and I can finally go in that direction.

You still think you can rank high on TV instead of using specific gaming monitors?
I don't care about "ranking high". I don't play competitive multiplayer games. I prefer single player games.

Besides, RTINGS tells me my display has a 5.3ms input lag at 4k 120Hz. That's pretty good and not noticeable at all to me when gaming.

I see you switching professions pretty fast. Once a CAD designer now a sound engineer.
Nice of you to be so obsessed with me that you remember these things. I do CAD for work, sound (music production) as a side. I imagine you're going to have issues with this as you always do.

You forget to better earn at least $600 a day to buy yourself some decent monitors in the first place. Then get a proper microLED as an actual TV.
This is just your usual trolling.

I don't care about "ranking high". I don't play competitive multiplayer games. I prefer single player games.

Besides, RTINGS tells me my display has a 5.3ms input lag at 4k 120Hz. That's pretty good and not noticeable at all to me when gaming.

Nice of you to be so obsessed with me that you remember these things. I do CAD for work, sound (music production) as a side. I imagine you're going to have issues with this as you always do.

This is just your usual trolling.
While I'm seriously considering PQ07 I'm sure whatever TV can play your single player game like every office monitor. But good luck with these TVs if you ever have the edge to play competitively.

While I'm seriously considering PQ07 I'm sure whatever TV can play your single player game like every office monitor. But good luck with these TVs if you ever have the edge to play competitively.
Well I'm not interested in playing competitively, but if I ever was is there any real reason why a display with such a low input lag would be bad for it? It being a "TV" or what its HDR capabilities are don't make a difference.

I have plenty of reason to believe you don't have the means to acquire a PQ07 but if you do I'm sure you'll be more than willing to post pics and indeed give your opinion on the display. More than a few of us would find that interesting so I'll wait for that.

Well I'm not interested in playing competitively, but if I ever was is there any real reason why a display with such a low input lag would be bad for it? It being a "TV" or what its HDR capabilities are don't make a difference.

I have plenty of reason to believe you don't have the means to acquire a PQ07 but if you do I'm sure you'll be more than willing to post pics and indeed give your opinion on the display. More than a few of us would find that interesting so I'll wait for that.
120Hz isn't even a competitive format. You can wait for a 240Hz TV several years later.

I'm sure you can always wait and see as the construction of my houses will be finished next year. The furnish will be carried on right after. It's about right time to get a microLED like PG07 as an actual TV.

120Hz isn't even a competitive format. You can wait for a 240Hz TV several years later.
No need. I'm not into competitive gaming, for the third time.

I'm sure you can always wait and see as the construction of my houses will be finished next year. The furnish will be carried on right after. It's about right time to get a microLED like PG07 as an actual TV.
Weird flex but OK. Look forward to the review!

No need. I'm not into competitive gaming, for the third time.

Weird flex but OK. Look forward to the review!
It doesn't matter if you are into competitive gaming or not.

It doesn't change the fact specific gaming monitors are far more superior than TVs.

I've been thinking about this exact thing
May I ask what size screen you are using?

I've been thinking of going with a 65" OLED and setting up a desk many feet away from it.
Its a 50". I have my resolution at 3840x2160, and I have my scale and layout set to +175 so I can see lol..

Your Idea is good. I am like this because my kid got my desk during covid, and home school.

My setup is down in the basement rec room 🤘

It doesn't change the fact specific gaming monitors are far more superior than TVs.
As usual, nothing matters but your opinion huh.

"I'm not into competitive gaming."
"But you don't have a gaming monitor, you're doing it wrong!"

My experience with "gaming" monitors has been dire. They all had annoying compromises. Every single one.

Not to say TVs don't have compromises, of course they do, everything does. But I'm plenty happy with what I've got for what I'm doing with it. Image quality is great, I've got loads of desktop real estate, and when I want to game I've got good response/input times and decent enough (2000 nit max) HDR to blind myself with. Until tech moves on to the point where I want to spend more money on displays, I have no reason to swap it out for something with more unknown compromises.

Your strange aggro towards me and others on this forum isn't going to change that.

And honestly, imho sort of the best price/performance/quality ratio can lean pretty heavily in TV's favour. Especially if you go a Gen or two behind the current models (like a CX, C1 or C2 LG for instance). Because the better monitors with higher Hz, wider aspect ratios and OLED panels... not exactly cheap.

Superior in which case?

Hz & Aspect ratios. But not always worth chasing Hz and not everyone cares about 21:9 or 32:9.

Last edited:
Is the PG32UQX currently the best 4K non-OLED gaming monitor that values image quality in addition to responsiveness?

My experience with "gaming" monitors has been dire. They all had annoying compromises. Every single one.

Not to say TVs don't have compromises, of course they do, everything does. But I'm plenty happy with what I've got for what I'm doing with it. Image quality is great, I've got loads of desktop real estate, and when I want to game I've got good response/input times and decent enough (2000 nit max) HDR to blind myself with. Until tech moves on to the point where I want to spend more money on displays, I have no reason to swap it out for something with more unknown compromises.

Your strange aggro towards me and others on this forum isn't going to change that.

Nothing matters if you cannot pay for it while busting out personal opinions.

I've said you cannot make HDR or rank high in games with whatever TV you have. These cheap TVs don't have the edge compared to monitors.

All you can do is just saying that you don't care because you don't make HDR or play competitively games.

Just put him on the Ignore list, makes this forum much more pleasing to read too.

I've said you cannot make HDR or rank high in games with whatever TV you have. These cheap TVs don't have the edge compared to monitors.

What are you smoking? Ever heard of the LG OLED G3, Samsung S95C or Samsung Mini-LED TV lineup? They destroy 99% off the monitors on the market in terms of HDR performance.

What are you smoking? Ever heard of the LG OLED G3, Samsung S95C or Samsung Mini-LED TV lineup? They destroy 99% off the monitors on the market in terms of HDR performance.
99% monitors are office monitors. These incompetent TVs with server ABL don't even produce correct brightness along side correct color. How much HDR you can even see with that much ABL? You can only seeing correct HDR less than 10% window.

They get destroyed by a proper HDR monitor every single time. At least bring out a microLED TV next time that looks like a window. You cannot make HDR on these TVs. You cannot rank games with them either.
TV Brightness copy.png

Exactly. Most of the people on this forum are old dudes that care more about picture quality than rank so you will be talking to a wall.

Gaming specific monitors will destroy any tv IF you are super competitive where every frame/hz/ms counts. I mean nobody is using HDR to rank up lol

Exactly. Most of the people on this forum are old dudes that care more about picture quality than rank so you will be talking to a wall.

Gaming specific monitors will destroy any tv IF you are super competitive where every frame/hz/ms counts. I mean nobody is using HDR to rank up lol

It's also why almost everyone on this forum is a hater of BFI and call it useless when it is in fact not lol.

They get destroyed by a proper HDR monitor every single time. At least bring out a microLED TV next time that looks like a window. You cannot make HDR on these TVs. You cannot rank games with them either.

Thanks for confirming that you have no idea what you are talking about. OLED gaming monitors are recommend for best HDR performance everywhere and they are basically on par with latest OLED TVs in terms of brightness lol.

Do you think you cannot rank on TVs because of input lag or because they are too big? Well back in thedays I played Quake Champions on my C1 with integer scaling @ 1440p and it was pretty damn good. In terms of input lag you might learn something here:

It's also why almost everyone on this forum is a hater of BFI and call it useless when it is in fact not lol.

I love BFI, but you know what's better than BFI? GSYNC. Until you can do both at once I'll never use BFI.

I'm also into hardcore gaming, high refresh rate is a must, but refresh rate is not everything. Higher is always better, but we're at the point of diminishing with refresh rate returns, where better PQ can make a bigger difference than adding hz.

Sometimes you can see enemies easier because you have higher contrast or higher resolution. If you're doing extreme long range sniping in games 1080p is a limiting factor.
IMO 120hz 4k OLED is better than 240hz 1080p LCD for hardcore gaming. The even higher refresh rate does not make up for the contrast and resolution.
Of course the best for you depends on the games you play and the style you play those games.

I love BFI, but you know what's better than BFI? GSYNC. Until you can do both at once I'll never use BFI.

I'm also into hardcore gaming, high refresh rate is a must, but refresh rate is not everything. Higher is always better, but we're at the point of diminishing with refresh rate returns, where better PQ can make a bigger difference than adding hz.

Sometimes you can see enemies easier because you have higher contrast or higher resolution. If you're doing extreme long range sniping in games 1080p is a limiting factor.
IMO 120hz 4k OLED is better than 240hz 1080p LCD for hardcore gaming. The even higher refresh rate does not make up for the contrast and resolution.
Of course the best for you depends on the games you play and the style you play those games.

I would say both technologies have their use cases, just that GSYNC is going to be the more widely used given that in 99% of games you will not be maintaining a perfectly locked fps to get the most out of BFI. It's just baffling to me that people were actually championing the REMOVAL of a feature just because it didn't fit their own use case.

Except he's trying to say it doesn't matter if you're into competitive gaming or not. We all NEED gaming monitors even if we don't require one. Why?

And the claim that HDR helps you be better at games is ridiculous.

Nothing matters if you cannot pay for it while busting out personal opinions.

All you can do is just saying that you don't care because you don't make HDR or play competitively games.
Possibly the most incoherent post yet.

Explain yourself clearly and maybe I'll understand whatever opinion you're trying to push as objective fact.

So other than the unnecessary bashing, as one who is absolutely going to get an OLED, am I better off going with a TV or an actual monitor? I see everyone arguing the merits, but it's gotten lost on me.

I was looking at a 48" LG CX TV, but if I can do better with an actual computer monitor, I'm happy going that route.

What a bizarre argument. You talk as if there's nothing in-between desiring good picture quality without compromising much performance, so you can enjoy media, desktop use, work and gaming without having a picture that looks like complete garbage. The LG C series is the best example of PQ to performance ratio, and makes every similar spec'd LCD monitor basically irrelevant.

The best esports gaming monitors are a fucking TN panel and an IPS panel that's literally incapable of having good contrast, has horrible uniformity and atrocious off-axis viewing, and also because most people arent esports competitors it makes sense to want the least crappy picture quality for the same, or less, amount of money, no?

Thanks for confirming that you have no idea what you are talking about. OLED gaming monitors are recommend for best HDR performance everywhere and they are basically on par with latest OLED TVs in terms of brightness lol.

Do you think you cannot rank on TVs because of input lag or because they are too big? Well back in thedays I played Quake Champions on my C1 with integer scaling @ 1440p and it was pretty damn good. In terms of input lag you might learn something here:

I have every idea how much worse OLED is.

It has only 240Hz with extremely limited range plus flickering. It's dim enough to have black crash that you cannot even see clearly. It is even too dim to strobe to display 1000Hz motion unlike 360Hz LCD. And I haven't mention it can burn because that's what OLED does.

You got only one TV for everything. I got multiple monitors with the best HDR available and the fastest motion for competitive esport. That's why I can make HDR with the highest dynamic range while ranking high in games. What's a HDR display if it cannot be enough to make HDR?

You cannot do these with whatever TV you have due to their incompetence. And if you love TV that much you should considering a microLED TV now. The microLED supply chains are about to be completed.

Is the PG32UQX currently the best 4K non-OLED gaming monitor that values image quality in addition to responsiveness?
No. It is still a good monitor but outdated, overpriced and too slow by todays standards.

Last edited:
So other than the unnecessary bashing, as one who is absolutely going to get an OLED, am I better off going with a TV or an actual monitor? I see everyone arguing the merits, but it's gotten lost on me.

I was looking at a 48" LG CX TV, but if I can do better with an actual computer monitor, I'm happy going that route.

The better option highly depends on your use case scenario.

No. It is still a good monitor but outdated, overpriced and too slow by todays standards.
Yes. PG32UQX is the best 4K HDR gaming monitor. The panel is actually the top tier, not outdated. AUO doesn't choose a faster panel because that will shrink color volume. And you cannot get backlight much faster without G-sync. You won't get better HDR than this one unless you choose 60Hz Macbook Pro.

Back