TV tuner applications/Video game playing

Hey all.

My HTPC set up consists of a custombuilt box, a 27" Gateway Destination monitor, and the Happuage MCE-150 card, as well as a avermedia M038 USB box.

Is there any way to play my PS2 and Xbox through these without lag?

I've been using Media Player Classic, but its a pain, and it doesnt fill the screen.

Unfortunately the thing only has VGA in on it, and I cant find a decent switchbox.

Looking for any advice. Thanks. :D

Oh, and dont post things like "BUY A NEW HDTV", or anything with the word buy in it.

Obtain a new HDTV.

Anyway, keep in mind that the PS2's signal is 480p (most are 480i) so you're not going to get full-screen gaming without fuzzies unfortunately.
How much lag are you getting? What type of input are you using? Have you tried other capture applications?

How bout an X2VGA v2? http://www.x2vga.com/product

It's got all sorts of inputs, so it looks like you should be able to pass the PC VGA signal through, plus hook up an xbox and ps2 through the 2 component inputs. And with this you don't have to worry about lag caused by passing through the PC.

I know people were pretty happy with the initial one that was meant for just the xbox.

Edit:
Hmm, I was looking at the manual for the x2vga, looks like it only supports 480p/1080i PS2 games. So maybe it won't work, unless the PS2 games you want to play support those modes.

i haven't done it, but i read that you can use Dscaler to gain direct access to the MCE150's input, bypassing the hardware encoder which would eliminate the 3 second mpeg encoding lag..

steal a new HDTV

Obtain a new HDTV.

Anyway, keep in mind that the PS2's signal is 480p (most are 480i) so you're not going to get full-screen gaming without fuzzies unfortunately.
How much lag are you getting? What type of input are you using? Have you tried other capture applications?

I asked for help, not to be told to go buy a whole new HDTV.

I swear, that what annoys me about this forum. Instead of helping, its always "GO BUY A NEW ONE!"

Not everyone has deep pockets for all this kind of stuff. Some of us have to stretch our budgets as much as possible, and a new HDTV is a mental dream.

I asked for help, not to be told to go buy a whole new HDTV.

I swear, that what annoys me about this forum. Instead of helping, its always "GO BUY A NEW ONE!"

Not everyone has deep pockets for all this kind of stuff. Some of us have to stretch our budgets as much as possible, and a new HDTV is a mental dream.
And most of these types of question can only be answered with "buy a new..." simple cause what you're trying to do isn't exactly possible with what you have.

There is no good solution for what you're trying to do. What you have now is typically the "best" solution out there if you're going to half ass it. The only real solution would be to buy a new moniter/TV with the inputs that you need.

How are we suppose to "help" you? None of us can work miracles, you know.

For the Xbox theres the X2VGA, for the PS2 you're pretty much screwed.

There is no good solution for what you're trying to do. What you have now is typically the "best" solution out there if you're going to half ass it. The only real solution would be to buy a new moniter/TV with the inputs that you need.
That's simply not true. As H-street mentioned, there are tools available that allow you to bypass the encoder on that specific card and thus practically eliminate the lag, which is exactly what the OP needs.

That's simply not true. As H-street mentioned, there are tools available that allow you to bypass the encoder on that specific card and thus practically eliminate the lag, which is exactly what the OP needs.
I'm not talking about lag, lag is just one part of it all. He also wants to play at fullscreen and using a PS2 like this is going to look horrible at anything above 640x480, the Xbox to a less extent will as well.

It's easy to get around the lag but the quality that you get really isn't worth it.

Using WinAVI Video Capture, I was able to play it beautifully.

Just not in full screen. But no lag, and no fuzzies.

Anyone know how to make WinAVI do fullscreen?

Back