TV panels

akis_t

n00b
Whilst investigating the relative merits of VA vs IPS panels, both with good and bad things, I realised that we have three LCD TVs at home (Sharp, Sharp, Sony) and all of them have fantastic picture, wide viewing angles, deep blacks, no IPS glow, no VA "black crush"....

I wonder why aren't monitors made the same way? Or are they?

But what is the technology ? Is it VA? Is it IPS? Is it something completely different? it looks like a marriage between VA (wide viewing angles, deep blacks, no IPS glow) and IPS (wide angles and no crushed blacks).

You know what TVs you have (we dont) and I presume have access to the rest of the web :p
Try a google search.
If you have questions you cant get info for, someone is sure to help.

Sharp and Sony will both use implementations of MVA. In addition to optimal cell design, compensation films are used to improve colour shift.

VA products having black crush as an absolute is a myth. I believe it is a result of poorly correcting the native voltage/transmittance characteristic of the VA LC where a proper curve needs to be programmed. An example forwarding this might be the Samsung F2380 and Eizo EV2333W where despite having the same panel the former reportedly crushes while the latter does fairly clean 2.2 gamma down to the second 8-bit grayscale step.

IPS is preferred in monitors and tablets as VA produces a stereoptic effect at these distances.

Last edited:
Sharp and Sony will both use implementations of MVA. In addition to optimal cell design, compensation films are used to improve colour shift.

VA products having black crush as an absolute is a myth. I believe it is a result of poorly correcting the native voltage/transmittance characteristic of the VA LC where a proper curve needs to be programmed. An example forwarding this might be the Samsung F2380 and Eizo EV2333W where despite having the same panel the former crushes heavily while the latter does fairly clean 2.2 gamma down to the second 8-bit grayscale step.

IPS is preferred in monitors and tablets as VA produces a stereoptic effect at these distances.

I'd totally agree with VA having black crush being a myth. At close distances there is slight off-angle gamma shift that looks like a bit of color washout and produces the stereoptic effect at close distances.

TVs using VA matrices will show this effect when viewed up close, but not at optimal, proper viewing distances. My Sony Bravia uses a VA panel and I can see it when viewed too closely.

Sharp uses ASV which is a modifed PVA type panel.

I'd totally agree with VA having black crush being a myth. At close distances there is slight off-angle gamma shift that looks like a bit of color washout and produces the stereoptic effect at close distances.

Hi 10e. It's nice to once again read your reply. All we need now is albovin back. :D

Some TVs do crush, with a measurable spike in the gamma value at low levels. It doesn't seem to be common after 2010. Can the same be said for recent MVA monitors?

If you back up from an IPS panel, usually just about double your normal viewing distance. The IPS glow goes away. If you are viewing a TV you are almost never viewing it as close as you would view a monitor. So maybe IPS TVs do have glow its just not apparent at the distance you view.

As for black crush, I have seen tons of TVs and lots of them have it. Another option is maybe your TVs are still in torch mode.

Or maybe you just have a really nice 3 TVs.

Back