Turtle Beach Ear Force X41 Wireless Headset

anonuser

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone tried the Turtle Beach Ear Force X41 wireless headset?
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/efx4/home.aspx

From what I have read they are not *THE* absolute best... that would be the Astro Mixamp + high end headset, but they are the only "high end" option for wireless.

I am considering buying them for CoD MW2 -- right now I'm using an old set of analog klipsch promedia 4.1s.

Anyone?

I am about to pull the trigger on these. Not too many reviews out there. I assume that's because they have only been out for a couple months.

Those are freaken gourgeous.... sheesh, wish I had the extra $$ to get one! :)

I have the X52 for use with my PC.
Its actually the first 5.1 surround sound headphones I have ever used.

They are amazing for the price. Its the only turtle beach product I own. Never tried the X41

Last edited:
i have the x31's (they are stereo not 5.1) and my only complaint is the loud noise it makes when the batteries get low

i have the x31's (they are stereo not 5.1) and my only complaint is the loud noise it makes when the batteries get low

Yeah I read about that... must be annoying.

The x41s actually support up to 7.1.

Any info anyone has would be great. I have a $50 off buy.com coupon so I can get them for ~$124 through their eBay store.

Not sure how much I value the review I previously posted...

The reviewer mentions that there is 2 drivers in each earcup... but as far as I know it is only 1 50mm per cup.

2 drivers = stereo sound.

This 5.1 and 7.1 headphone stuff is such a laugh.

2 drivers = stereo sound.

This 5.1 and 7.1 headphone stuff is such a laugh.

I'm assuming from your comment that you have tried out dolby virtual headphone surround sound from a digital source supporting the technology? Many people use the Astro Mixamp (converts digital TOSlink audio to virtual 5.1) and a high end headphone.

An explanation of the technology:
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/understand/enhancement/dolby-headphone.html

I have read in reviews:

"For gaming, which these are really designed for, you’ll want to switch it over to the surround mode. This makes music sound rather distant and indistinct, but playing a game compatible with Dolby’s 7.1 surround is a fantastic experience.-- I definitely played better when I was using the G35 than my other regular stereo headsets. Being able to place a gunshot or footstep with an extra few degrees of precision can be the difference between surprising someone coming around a corner and being surprised by them."

"The part that really sells these headphones and warrants their continued use is the amazingly accurate 7.1 surround sound in gaming. I could even say that I've become a better first person shooter player because of the headphones letting me know precisely where a sound is coming from. In L4D, the ominous gurgle and belching of a Boomer is usually cause for concern and slow walking. Not anymore. I know that the boomer is slightly above and to the right of me waiting at the next opening. I and other G35 users have been and continue to be accused of hacking. Competition is always increasing and this is a great way to augment your skills."

These are reviews from the Logitech G35s using the same technology. Obviously the reason I started this thread was to get opinions since there are few reviews of the X41.

Please respond If you have actually tried them. I'm looking for real life experiences, not worthless opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses -- I'll post back in a couple weeks when I get home and try them out.

I wish they would work with the ps3 as well then I would buy them in a second! We need a great all in one solution!

I wish they would work with the ps3 as well then I would buy them in a second! We need a great all in one solution!

From what I've read they will work fine for the PS3 audio output (and in virtual 5.1/7.1), but if you want voice chat you need to buy a USB Audio Dongle like this:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/amigo/home.aspx

You do not have to purchase the Turtle Beach one... any generic usb to 3.5"/2.5" stereo jack will work... but obviously you'll have to be tethered from the PS3 to the Headset so buy a long audio cable.

That's my plan if I ever end up buying a PS3. For the times that I'm playing multiplayer I'll just plug in the audio, but the rest of the time you can still use the optical audio out from the ps3 for the surround sound.

BTW -- I ordered the x41s and I will be home late next week to try them out.

EDIT:

Reading on another forum and I saw that this all you need to get ps3 chat capability:
USB 2.0 3D Audio Sound Card Adapter 7.1 Ch Mic/Speaker - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...PrefLoc=1&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&_fvi=1&_rdc=1
2.5Mm Mobile Headset To PC Converter - http://www.amazon.com/2-5Mm-Mobile-Headset-PC-Converter/dp/B000IZCUTQ/ref=pd_cp_e_1
6'ft M/F AUX AUDIO CABLE 2.5mm - http://cgi.ebay.com/6ft-M-F-AUX-AUD...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2303760e9d

The extension cable is because the x41 talkback cable (that attaches to the xbox controller for voice chat) is pretty short.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi! anonuser!

I try to buy it from here http://www.linkecomputer.com/ and i wait that it arrive to me!, where do you buy your headphones and when you have it?.
I'm from Spain, and i speak with boys that buy it, and they tell me that is a very good headphones, and it is fantastic for COD, i'm very nervous and want my headphones now!!!hehe. ;)
You also see more info, in turtle beach's website ;)

Hi! anonuser!

I try to buy it from here http://www.linkecomputer.com/ and i wait that it arrive to me!, where do you buy your headphones and when you have it?.
I'm from Spain, and i speak with boys that buy it, and they tell me that is a very good headphones, and it is fantastic for COD, i'm very nervous and want my headphones now!!!hehe. ;)
You also see more info, in turtle beach's website ;)

Spam much?

what? what do say it spam?, i only say you where i buy the headphones and a i wait it,and you have it,for you tell me your opinion about it?,thanks

Last edited:
I have the X1s and love them, but they're wired. I wish I had bought the wireless ones lol

I have the X1s and love them, but they're wired. I wish I had bought the wireless ones lol

You could buy the X41 and use the X1s for friends. You can plug in another set of wired headphones into the X41 base for a second player and then the X1's will have the same dolby virtual headphone 5.1/7.1 surround sound (virtual).

I picked these up and the surround sound is good and the sound in general is good, but I think I might return them because they make a humming/static/snow noise. Otherwise I think they are pretty good and relatively comfortable.

The wireless has also cut out at times from interface from my PC and Wireless network. They run on 2.4Ghz so even the Xbox could possibly interfere with them.

i just bought the x31's and then work very well. some humming when there is nothing going on but when playing a game the sound is really good.

Just an update: The X41s work perfectly for me.

I have a N router right next to the base and I have no problem with crackling/cutting out of sound at all. There is also no background hiss.

Wireless is awesome.... just have four AAA rechargables that I will swap between.

I just bought the X41. Not a replacement for a good surround sound system but I'm impressed. It actually does a good job of giving the feel of 7.1 surround sound. They are comfortable to wear. There is a slight hiss noticeable with very quiet passages, and loud pops when out of range or low battery. No interference with other wireless gadgets and I haven't tried the microphone yet. If you don't mind the price they are a good buy.

Seems the only decent headset they have for the PS3 is the PX21.
Has anyone used one of these, and are they any good?

I have been thinking of replacing my bluetooth headset since I'm tired of batteries always dying on me.
And it would be nice to once again used headphones instead of theater speakers waking everyone up during late night usage.

I have been thinking of replacing my bluetooth headset since I'm tired of batteries always dying on me.
And it would be nice to once again used headphones instead of theater speakers waking everyone up during late night usage.

I have the previous version the P21. Chat is good, easy to understand people. Game audio seemed a bit weak but good enough for late night gaming. Overall I am happy with them. I find them much more comfortable and easier to use than the official BT headset.

The X41 mic is only thing that doesn't work with PS3. Apparently you plug the mic into a USB sound card and get it to work. TB is suppose to be coming out with an adapter for the PS3 as well.

Back