Turn a computer into a Hackintosh for 150 (eBay buy it now)

the_servicer

2[H]4U
Is this a good deal? Is it likely to be legit? I am interested in opinions about this:

Someone on eBay is offering to turn any computer into a Hackintosh for $150.

(I believe I am within the rules for posting this thread because the eBay listing is not an auction-style listing.)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's never legal but you can do it yourself for free if you want to. What is the $150 for?

I understand one needs access to a Mac to do this. That's the main reason why I am interested in having someone else do it: I don't have a Mac.

I personally wouldn't do it, at least not from a service offered on ebay. I have a few co-workers who have done hackintosh setups... and man it is hit or miss with hardware. It seems like they spend more time fixing/tweaking things to get it working right than they do actually using the system.

Buy a used Mac mini instead. If you don't know the intricacies of setting up the hackintosh (bootup, kernels, updates, ect), you will have wasted your $150 in about a month.

Buy a used Mac mini instead. If you don't know the intricacies of setting up the hackintosh (bootup, kernels, updates, ect), you will have wasted your $150 in about a month.

Not really. I had a ML Hackintosh I ran with for about a year I didn't do anything special with. The only issue I had was with Time Machine not working, but I don't think it can work on a hackintosh.

I think this site bans Hackintosh discussion though.

I understand one needs access to a Mac to do this. That's the main reason why I am interested in having someone else do it: I don't have a Mac.

You don't need a Mac. Depending on what you are trying to do, you may need VMWare.

Either way, you should not pay $150 to someone for a service that is neither legal nor necessary. I'm surprised this thread is even still here.

Doesn't sound kosher. With the right hardware you can do it yourself so easily these days. Stay away.

Agreed, I've been playing with Hackintosh's for fun for nearly 8 years now and there is no way someone can get away with charging $150 to do it. I always did it for fun and used my REAL Mac for Mac things...

Win7+Worksation+OSX VM = Quick, and works great I did it for a while when working on OSX stuff on my win7 desktop, and had MBAir and MBPro for travels/work.

Back